Weekends Hurling

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
kinnittyman
All Star

Weekends Hurling

Post by kinnittyman »

Well luckily enough i managed to get home for the weekend and get to the two senior matches. On saturday evening with 20 minutes gone i really felt that a major shock was on the cards. Shamrocks were motoring nicely, Derek Molloy was having a field day and with Joe Brady and Damien Murray missing Coolderry looked fairly toothless But in the space of five minutes the landscape changed with both Neville Coughlan and Derek Molloy getting injured and neither reappeared for the second half. Coolderry went on to run out comfortable winners but were far from their best and on saturdays performance they wont trouble Birr. Brian Carroll looked completley disinterested and only scored one point from play and they had a non existant full forward line.

The quater final replay turned out to be a disappointing affair with K/K brushing aside a fairly anaemic St Rynaghs challenge. K/K are phyiscally very strong and now as the pitches are going to get heavier thats going to stand to them hence im very pis*ed off that the semi final is put back to sunday week. Seemingly they want to hurl both semis on the one day so no team will be at a preperation disadvantge. But what if T'More cause a huge shock and beat Birr then the semis would be put back another week because of the football final. Pure bullshit!!!! Anyways K/K looked very impressive and got some nice scores and Peter Healion got two lovely points on the run, one off each side, in the first half. It'l be some shock if we beat them and i cant see it happening.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

It was announced over the public address in O’Connor Park on Saturday evening that both finals have been put back a week – the football to October 7th and the hurling to the 14th as a result of the postponed Birr – Tullamore quarter final tie.

Kilcormac certainly have hand picked their team. All bar Cassidy stand at over 6 feet tall! Many of their scores come from the use the handpass to the man running into the space from deep. They remind be very much of Dublin hurlers. They aren’t quite as adept in close quarters however and quite a number of them need to be tidier in their striking. It’s obvious they will look to exploit Kinnitty’s lack of height. Many teams feign injury to slow down momentum but on at least two occasions yesterday K/K players feigned serious injury. This needs to cease.

As for the match itself, St. Rynagh’s got the ideal start in the first minute when Ciaran Flannery finished a wonderful stick-passing move to the net. They never built on this however, and by the 26th minute Kilcormac led 0-8 to 1-1 when Conor Mahon found space and kicked to the net from 20 metres.

St. Rynagh’s were struggling to get a grip. Gary Kelly looked their most dangerous forward but they were unable to get a quality supply to him. Still, Kilcormac themselves were unable to put them away and the score was 1-9 to 1-5 with ten to play and there was a glimmer of light for ’Rynaghs who by this stage held an equal share of territory and possession. This was as close as they got however and K/K closed out with five unanswered points to make history on a scoreline of 1-14 to 1-5.

I wasn’t surprised to hear Coolderry beat Shamrocks by a seven point margin, Lone Shark getting the handicap bang-on again! What was alarming was the manner of the win as outlined by the man from Kinnitty above. The plot thickens!

green&white
Senior

Post by green&white »

Coolderry looked very average on sat & on face of this wont trouble Birr! Having said that they should lift their game, but will have to do so considerably to trouble them! Birr havent been firing on all cylinders at the moment, but you feel they will get it right at the business end of the year!
Carroll actually scored 3points from play from very limted supply & only for him and teehan, coolderry were strugglin badly! There full forward line as said already were completely anonymous! Murray was missed badly, but not on the frees where carroll was on target.
KK look to be gathering momentum at the right time & on paper should have enough for Kinnity, however, Kinnity will feel they have nothin to lose and already beat them this year in the O'Connor cup final..all to play for in my view....
rigney has been magnificent for Kinnity & you'd like to see him carry that forward to the county scene where we could have a tommy walsh style player on our hands! agree with some other discussions where odhran kealey with propoer coaching has great potential!
for kk could peter healion solve our centre forward problem for the county?? conor mahon has great engine, strength and heart, all the attributes of a modern day player but could throw it up an miss it!

Offalys Future
All Star

Post by Offalys Future »

I went to the Shamrocks/Coolderry game and if ever there was a great opportunity for Shamrocks last weekend was it.

They went in three points up at half time and fully deserved this lead.
Unfortunately they lost Molloy(who was having a stormer) and Neville Coughlan through injury.
Even still they could have won this game. There keeper let in a bad goal from way out the field, and they completely lost there shape in the 2nd half. There free taker had scored 2 frees in the first half and took one in the second and it hit the post. So straight away their management brought on Shane Cunningham. He took over the frees and hit 3 wide, he then hit a sideline wide and was taking sideline cuts in his own half back line.
Shamrocks any time they played the ball to the wings their forwards were faster, stronger and better than the coolderry backs. But instead in the 2nd half they hit high ball after high ball instead of playing the wings.
This was very frustrating to watch as they were a better team than coolderry.
I though Barry Teehan was the difference between the sides especially in the 2nd half.
Its quiet obvious that all isnt well in the Coolderry camp, its even noticeably that they are playing as individuals rather than a team. They got away with it last weekend but i doubt they will next time out.

As for Shamrocks they should be encouraged by their display but it was a missed chance. Losing their 2 best players was a big loss but lack of hurling coaching and guidance seems to have cost them a place in the county semi final.

Kilkormac/Killoughey won handy as i expected them to. They have the best hurling team in the county this year. John Leahy has really changed things around for that club and this shouldnt go un-noticed, I expect them to beat Kinnitty and win the county final whoever it is they are playing. One thing they have to do is start playing more ball to their dangermen in the forwards (Sevin,Lee, Currams) If these guys get enough ball they will beat anyteam. But if they try and play like they did in the first half of the first game against Rynagh's then they wont win anything. Has the manager and team learnt from past mistakes - time will tell.
" In The Presence Of Confidence Doubt Cannot Exist "

Offalys Future
All Star

Post by Offalys Future »

lh
" In The Presence Of Confidence Doubt Cannot Exist "

kinnittyman
All Star

Post by kinnittyman »

Offalys Future wrote:I went to the Shamrocks/Coolderry game and if ever there was a great opportunity for Shamrocks last weekend was it.

They went in three points up at half time and fully deserved this lead.
Unfortunately they lost Molloy(who was having a stormer) and Neville Coughlan through injury.
Even still they could have won this game. There keeper let in a bad goal from way out the field, and they completely lost there shape in the 2nd half. There free taker had scored 2 frees in the first half and took one in the second and it hit the post. So straight away their management brought on Shane Cunningham. He took over the frees and hit 3 wide, he then hit a sideline wide and was taking sideline cuts in his own half back line.
Shamrocks any time they played the ball to the wings their forwards were faster, stronger and better than the coolderry backs. But instead in the 2nd half they hit high ball after high ball instead of playing the wings.
This was very frustrating to watch as they were a better team than coolderry.
I though Barry Teehan was the difference between the sides especially in the 2nd half.
Its quiet obvious that all isnt well in the Coolderry camp, its even noticeably that they are playing as individuals rather than a team. They got away with it last weekend but i doubt they will next time out.

As for Shamrocks they should be encouraged by their display but it was a missed chance. Losing their 2 best players was a big loss but lack of hurling coaching and guidance seems to have cost them a place in the county semi final.

Kilkormac/Killoughey won handy as i expected them to. They have the best hurling team in the county this year. John Leahy has really changed things around for that club and this shouldnt go un-noticed, I expect them to beat Kinnitty and win the county final whoever it is they are playing. One thing they have to do is start playing more ball to their dangermen in the forwards (Sevin,Lee, Currams) If these guys get enough ball they will beat anyteam. But if they try and play like they did in the first half of the first game against Rynagh's then they wont win anything. Has the manager and team learnt from past mistakes - time will tell.
While i agree with you on the fact that they are a good team and have some lovely hurlers i wouldnt be as quick to declare that K/K will win the county. We have to remember that despite the underage success that they had during the 90's they still only got to one county final and last year they were absolutley destroyed by Birr in the semi. The wet conditions certainly suited them on sunday morning as they are a phyiscal team with a big spine up the middle. Eamonn Lee is being positioned in midfield alongside Conor Mahon and this is a very agile pairing who'll run their socks off but Mahon is a very very limited hurler. I cant see Martin Murray keeping his place at wing forward at the expense of Daniel Currams who looks a good one and Slevin is an excellent club hurler who also is top notch at the frees. One tactic they employ that Kinnitty would have to be wise to is how deep their midfielders go for puckouts. Right into their own half back line which clutters up the space for the opposing forwards. Also on their own puck outs the midfielders drift very wide to the wings leaving a huge space for Peter Healion to run into to win possession which he invariably does due to his size and strength and no little hurling abitlity. Having said all that i think we have a huge huge chance of an upset as we know what it takes to beat them having done that in the championship last year and in the O Connor cup final this year. A low scoring game would see us come out on top i think. 9 days to go-Im sure il have more to get off my chest by the time it comes around.