Tommy Lyons Comments on Ferbane & Clara!!!

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Bogman
All Star

Tommy Lyons Comments on Ferbane & Clara!!!

Post by Bogman »

I was expecting a lot of comment on this site on Tommy Lyons' Sunday Game description of P.J.Ward's "pedigree" as a mixture of "Ferbane physicality and Clara skills".

Even Pat Spillane was apologizing to Ferbane people.

I wouldn't have thought that Tony McTague was lacking in skill or Scott Brady wanting in the physical stakes.

Given the Ferbane (Lone Shark) and Clara (Bord na Mona Man) backgrounds of the godfathers of the site and also the likes of The Magpie, My Knee Hurts, The Man from Ferbane etc. I thought that there would be a lively debate.

Please give me a link to the thread if I've missed it or is it just that Ferbane and Clara people think Tommy Lyons was spot on!

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Bogman, Scott Brady moved to Clara about 14 or 15 years ago.
Obviously in that time he has had his skills polished and refined.

As for McTague and Ferbane, every gridiron team needs a good kicker!
:P :P :P

TheManFromFerbane
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by TheManFromFerbane »

I took it as a compliment!
The night is darkest before the dawn

the bare biffo
All Star

Post by the bare biffo »

TheManFromFerbane wrote:I took it as a compliment!
Yea I thought any self respecting Ferbane man would have taken that as a compliment !!!
"The ball may pass, but the man, never."

Archangel
All Star
Club: Ballycommon

Post by Archangel »

TheManFromFerbane wrote:I took it as a compliment!
Never had a problem with Ferbane, with regards to over-physicality. It's a bit of a myth methinks.
Everyone has an opinion on different teams, as whingers, windy, shapers, argumentative..etc.. and usually reserved for the neighbours. :roll:

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Sorry, no offence taken here either. I don't think anyone who saw the recent club championship match between the two teams could argue that there isn't a grain of truth in it either. I'd say the only one who was offended was Pat himself.

The Magpie
All Star

Post by The Magpie »

In fairness to Tommy, I'd say he was heavily influenced by the Pedigree of the footballers that were knocking around the Offaly panel in his time.

You have to remember, he saw The Clocker and Jimmy at fairly close quarters during his time - and they were pretty much in their prime in terms of hitting lads!

In contrast, although he did have Larry Carroll and Jimmy Stewart also, neither would have been considered as physical as the men from Ferbane.

I think the reference to the 'skills' was probably a hark back to the original Shaper. That's right. Not the Mark III that kicks football nowadays, but the Mk I, who (and this may kick-start a healthy thread) was an exceptionally gifted footballer.
The Dog chases the Car....the Car stops....the Dog can't Drive!

Hyper
All Star

Post by Hyper »

Not a bad golfer now!!!

arbarg
County player

Post by arbarg »

The Magpie wrote:, but the Mk I, who (and this may kick-start a healthy thread) was an exceptionally gifted footballer.

Seriousy!!, You Messin

The Magpie
All Star

Post by The Magpie »

Not Messing. May the games begin! The cat is firmly amongst the pigeons.

arbarg
County player

Post by arbarg »

Im a bit muddled magpie, are ya talking about claras John Reynolds or someone else. didnt have my weetabix dis mornin so not 100%

Hyper
All Star

Post by Hyper »

I think you'll find that he is talking about David Reynolds (Mark 1), whilst Willie's Mark 2 and John's Mark 3!!!

arbarg
County player

Post by arbarg »

ah!
Get it,
The current Shaper aint too bad though is he!! I mean he does try,
He aint no Roy Malone though( Imean there is only one superstar) god bless him

Bogman
All Star

David Reynolds

Post by Bogman »

I don't think it was understood at the time how much of a loss players like David Reynolds, Ronan Mooney and Barry Malone would be when they headed off to foreign pastures new.

David Reynolds had a seriously good season on our Leinster-winning march in 1997. Accurate from frees and very good from general play.

So Davey Reynolds definitely be a good advertisement for Clara skills and you'd have to say that the "Shaper" tag is a pretty good description of some of the "Gifted Posers / Great Talents" coming out of Clara e.g. Shapers Mark 1 & Mark 3, Matt Mitchell, Thomas Deehan. Never short of Style & Swagger in applying their Skills anyway.

The Magpie
All Star

Post by The Magpie »

Yep, Hyper's on the ball. In fairness to Willie, he's not in the Shaper category, but I'd feel I was cheating him if he wasn't mentioned as the Mk II :)

As for Davey, much as he contributed in 1997, I don't think he was anywhere near his potential - he'd probably admit as much.

I'd agree with Bogman's statements. All 3 were big players for Offaly - Barry Malone in particular was a rock at Number 3.

As for the remaining Clara lads, mention of Matt Mitchell got me thinking. He has so much talent it's just not funny. I can't remember seeing a young lad with more talent locally. He can play anywhere - when he wants to.