Offaly v Laois hurling preview

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Offaly v Laois hurling preview

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Time for change. Time to change the oil, replace the plugs and check the tyres. Another championship season is almost upon us and it’s time to face the road, wherever it might bring us this summer. Time for the senior hurlers of Offaly and Laois to make the next steps in the development of their respective teams. It’s a road with destinations as yet unknown; North to Belfast, West to Galway, South to Cork perhaps or East to Dublin – this will depend on progress next Sunday and other matters beyond our control. The mood of the supporters will be ‘don’t throw it all away’ as the respective managers carry out their contracts.

We haven’t far to go on our first journey of the summer – to the new-look O’Connor Park on Sunday. The Offaly and Laois rivalry is one of the longest and most enduring in the history of the GAA, having first met in the 1897 championship and Sundays clash will be the golden jubilee, the pair’s 50th championship meeting. Its interesting to note that Offaly have played Laois more times than any other county.

But are you happy? Laois appear to be in good health in the lead up. As expected, they won division 2 of the league (though they had to dig deep in the semi final against Westmeath) and gave a good account of themselves in the subsequent playoff game against Limerick. Offaly, meanwhile, blew hot and cold in their league campaign, hitting their highest notes when drawing with Clare in Birr and beating Waterford the following week. They hurled well in the first half against Limerick before spectacularly imploding when leaking five second half goals.

Laois enjoyed a comfortable win over underdogs Wicklow in the league decider at Thurles. While Wicklow’s striking was actually good, they were slow and ponderous when on the ball, finding the step-up in pace beyond them. It was clear that Laois’ most potent attacking weapon was Paddy Mullaney’s long puckout targeting James Young. Wind assisted, Mullaney was reaching the edge of the ‘D’ on the long Thurles pitch. On the shorter O’Connor Park a similar stroke from Mullaney will reach the ‘21’. Now I feel this is counter-productive as it causes bunching among attackers but that’s Laois’ problem for now. Young, as we know, is a deadly freetaker and Offaly will need to be precise with their tackling so as not to give the Clonaslee man freetaking opportunities.

With Shane O’Connor in goal, Offaly may try the same plan, which would leave the middle third of the pitch redundant and O’Connor Park resembling the Roland Garros arena! But will O’Connor be retained in goal or will Brian Mullins be recalled? Mullins is still the best goalkeeper in the county and, though prone to lapses in concentration, when on his game only he could bring off saves like that memorable one against Clare in Portlaoise that wet evening. In addition, he would look to vary the target of his puckout moreso than O’Connor. I feel Mullins (and indeed Cordial) wouldn’t have been recalled if management didn’t intend using them during the campaign. Incidentally, should O’Connor be discarded, his long term future between the sticks could be bleak, as there is quite a bit of goalkeeping talent in the county at under 21 level. The clash between Darren Rooney and Joseph Bergin (if he has shaken off his hamstring difficulties) will be crucial also.

Defensively, Laois have adapted the Kilkenny mantra of ‘thou shall not pass’. In the league final, any Wicklow forward who got possession and rounded his man was hauled to the ground. They don’t mind conceding the points, but no goals shall be conceded. To counter this, Offaly must be quick and incisive when on the attack, getting away from their men quickly, and using good support play to create overlaps, avoiding the foul.

There have been four significant meetings between the two in recent years. The first of these was a 2003 league match in Birr, with Offaly snatching the verdict at the death with a Brendan Murphy winning point. The next was Offaly’s relegation match twelve months later. Offaly had to win to survive the relegation struggle they found themselves in (sound familiar?) and had opened a six point lead with ten minutes left. A break for a ‘dust-up’ disrupted their momentum, however, and Laois hit back with four unanswered points followed by a Culleton goal to take the lead. Dylan Hayden’s equalising point would have guaranteed survival, but Laois had the last word with a late winner sending the home side plummeting to division 2.

A month later, the sides met in the Leinster quarter final in Tullamore. Offaly were stung by their recent defeat and wasted no time in demolishing the Laois challenge with an eleven point win. The most recent meeting was twelve months ago, at the same stage, on a flooded O’Moore Park. Given the conditions, it was always going to be a low scoring game and early Bergin and Hanrahan goals put Offaly in the driving seat, running out ten point winners and continuing Laois’ woes against their neighbours.

It’s quite clear that Laois will target this match for a win. Following their league final win, their post match reaction turned immediately to the Offaly clash. This was quite clear looking at pitchside post match interviews. They almost seemed to have to be reminded that they had that playoff with Limerick to come. They did acquit themselves well in that playoff game against Limerick, despite the setback of the concession of two early goals when Laois were wind assisted. Damien Fox is a respected coach and has a good pedigree with his father, Eamonn, still fondly remembered in Lusmagh where the coached their team to within five minutes of a historic first county title in 1982. Fox will know this Offaly team, their strengths and weaknesses, and O’Connor Park, inside out, and will use this to drive his team on with a belief that they can end this 35 year famine.

At the time I write this, the Offaly lineout is uncertain. Apart from the second half collapse against Limerick, the reason for this is that John McIntyre has tended to be somewhat conservative in his early championship selections, discarding league experimentation. Last year for instance both O’Meara and Tanner were replaced by Teehan and Oakley respectively for the big day despite both apparently hurling well in the league. Experience was cited for the changes. The previous year, Ger Oakley was selected at full back despite having played very little hurling in the position during the league and with a variety of players having worn the number 3 jersey during the league division 2 campaign.

For some reason, the Offaly team this decade has a poor record in matches where a clash with Kilkenny is the ‘prize’ for the winner. Since 2003 we’ve had Wexford (Leinster semi) and Tipperary (All Ireland quarter) in that year, Clare (2004 qualifier) Tipperary (2006 league quarter final) and the Nowlan Park championship clash with Wexford. Offaly were beaten in them all. I wonder is there a link there and how will it affect Offaly’s mental preparations for Sunday’s game? We know that Offaly, unlike last year, have not targeted the league, timing preparations for much later in the calendar. With three qualifier matches on three successive weeks in July being the ultimate benchmark of success this year, it’s clear that month is targeted for the team to reach peak performance.

With the qualifier groups ‘gerrymandered’ to ensure Galway’s progress to the quarter finals, Sunday’s loser will face Galway, Antrim and the Cork/Clare loser in the round robin series, which I feel is slightly easier then the winners who will face the losers of Wexford/Dublin, Limerick/Tipperary and either Cork/Clare/Waterford. Now I don’t rate the current Galway team very highly and it’s a match Offaly would target for a win. If the Offaly team feel this way, they may not be firing on all cylinders next Sunday. Still, this would be a dangerous game to play, and in any event, I feel they should try and get back in a winning groove. I would expect a backlash from the men in green, white and gold in the aftermath of the disaster that was league relegation. Indeed, a clash with Kilkenny (despite all the woes which would ensue) may be preferable to an idle five weeks.

It’s all down, then, to Offaly’s attitude and how they approach the visit of the O’Mooremen on Sunday. Laois won’t fear this Offaly team (when did they ever fear an Offaly team?), but if Offaly enter the game in the right groove, they can get the championship year off to a winning start. However, if Laois can get a run on Offaly, particularly early on, they could be on course to end their famine.

Sydthebeat
All Star

Post by Sydthebeat »

great post.....

so on reading that we nearly would be better off losing the match against laois???

where does the loosing team of the laois/offaly V kilkenny go??

Muck Savage
All Star

Post by Muck Savage »

From the Hogan Stand

Offaly defenders Michael Verney and Cathal Horan have been ruled out of Sunday’s Leinster SHC opener against Laois at Tullamore.

Verney is still two weeks away from a return to full training as he continues his recovery from an ankle injury he sustained in training on the Tuesday night after the National League victory over Waterford. Offaly manager John McIntyre described the injury as a “step away from breaking the bone”.

St. Rynagh’s clubman Horan also misses out after breaking a bone in his hand during a recent club match. The injury wasn’t diagnosed until last Friday night and Horan faces surgery once his third level examinations are completed on Thursday.

Full forward Joe Bergin and midfielder Michael Cordial, who was recently recalled to the panel, are also carrying injuries but should be fit to play. Squad members Trevor Corcoran (cracked rib) and Kevin Kelly (broken hand) are definitely out.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Referee

I see Michael Haverty is the appointed referee.

This doesn’t suit Offaly. Haverty is fond of blowing up where hurlers try and flick the ball away from an opponent when they are bouncing the ball on the hurl. Offaly depend on this trick a lot to gain possession, and having Haverty constantly whistling this up could lead to frustration. Remember Haverty giving Limerick some dubious frees in the second quarter of the Limerick match last summer?

I suppose the reason the Killimordaly native is so strict on this is that in Galway club hurling (which can be rough) a fella ‘going in’ with the hurl like that can have a more sinister intention.

Offaly will need to be aware of this and be careful where they put the hurl, even when they’re sure of connecting with the ball.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Excellent posts, Plain. Top quality reading.

I've put Offaly in at 1/4 for this match and it's a long time since I can think of a 1/4 shot that looks so wobbly right from the off. I hope I'm wrong, but if Laois can avoid going behind early on and draw Offaly into the kind of dogfight that this fixture used to be renowned for, I'd have no faith in the spirit and spine of our lads to dig out a result in tough circumstances. Right now everything about the team screams depression and a dearth of confidence, the complete opposite of the vibes coming from south of the mountains.

I take your point about the long puckouts resulting in a congested goal area and an inability for forwards to carve out space to strike even if they do win possession, but I think you do Damien Fox a bit of a dis-service there in that of all people he'll be well familiar with how O'Connor Park is a small pitch for hurling. I also think he'll have noted the trouble that big forwards such as Sean Ó'Connor and Brian Begley have given Paul Cleary before, and I can see him looking to leave Young out of the way of the dropping ball and just let Fitzgerald come out and fight for it, maybe with a few breaks dropping in behind to Phelan. Mullins has been known to have a few moments of madness attacking balls that he shouldn't as well, so I would be at all surprised to see Laois aim for a score of around 4-12 rather than 1-19.

From our side we need to "get our groove back". An Offaly team that gathers a bit of confidence from a good showing here can go into a nothing-to-lose clash with Kilkenny with a bit more of a spring in their step, and at a time when Kilkenny will be utterly unable to take Offaly seriously we might get within eight or nine points and build our year from there. I agree completely that Galway should be a beatable team, but not if we've just lost to Laois - as far as I'm concerned if that happens we could ened up talking about relegation from Liam McCarthy just like we were talking about relegation from Division one, because the psychological damage would be immense. Big day for the likes of David Franks and Brian Carroll. These guys need a good championship showing to get their game back on the rails, and if they can't manage it against Laois.....

Offalys Future
All Star

Post by Offalys Future »

i'm worried, really worried,

b.mullins
d.franks
paul cleary
c.hernon,
k.brady
d.kenny
g.oakley
b.teehan
b.murphy
g.hniffy
r.haniffy
d.molloy
j.bergin
b.carroll
s.dooley.

Its looking like thats going to be the 15, wed at training, not k.brady, g.oakley, g.haniffy.
If that is the team they will need to score 1-20 to win the game as laois forwards will run riot.
i am worried but i feel offaly will get over laois.
lads its not right the wetup is a complete joke.
this is a sad time for offaly hurling.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Excellent piece by POTH.
I'd be worried that the Offaly backline will be very unsettled, with injuries, jitters after the Limerick rout and

general inexperience.

OffalysFuture's possible line up wouldn't worry too many of the top 8 or 9 counties.
And that's with no slight intended on any of the young players coming in, as it's even harder to come into a team with very few experienced leaders. And that's been the problem for a few years now.
Players who should be peaking now in their mid 20s are nowhere to be seen.

Hopefully things will click on Sunday.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Sydthebeat wrote: where does the loosing team of the laois/offaly V kilkenny go??
Sorry, missed this.

The four losing provincial semi finalists in Leinster and Munster are all in the one group. So assuming the favourite wins every match, that means you'd be in with Limerick, Dublin and whoever you don't fancy out of Cork and Waterford.

Plain of the Herbs wrote:Defensively, Laois have adapted the Kilkenny mantra of ‘thou shall not pass’. In the league final, any Wicklow forward who got possession and rounded his man was hauled to the ground. They don’t mind conceding the points, but no goals shall be conceded.
This is another aspect of the game that's worrying me. The last competitive game that Joe Bergin played was the club match against Shinrone, and his free taking was nothing short of dire that day. I know he's streaky at the best of times, but we know Young is going to hit 90% of his chances - I'd be awful concerned that every Offaly forward is fouled often, and if Joe has an off day it costs doubly in that we miss the frees and none of our forwards get the scores from play that would boost confidence.

Archangel
All Star
Club: Ballycommon

Post by Archangel »

Am I right is saying it's 3:30pm Sunday, O'Connor Park?????

Whole family is going, so need to be sure about the time. :?

durra1
All Star
Club: Durrow/Ballinamere

Sundays v Leix

Post by durra1 »

Its disturbing that we are at such a low ebb that taking Leix is being made look like our Waterloo. I always hoped we'd remain at a level that could coast againt the laois'es of this world. A Bad result last night for the minors last night doesnt help the current gloom we find ourselves in. Im been a bit exiled for the last few years so unlike some informed posters ive been removed but heres my pinch of salt on the matter.

As I see it, anyone involved in the current panel has been on the receiving end of some serious KK county and schools underage hidings or defeats to provincial minnows so the winning mentality that the sides of the 80s and 90s had is just not there. The absence of leaders who might not necessarily have been stylists but who could sense the oppositions vulnerability at key moments and turn the screw doesnt help. I'm not one for harking back to our past glories as they were achived in different times, but lads of the ilk of delaney,joachim,corrigan,johnny p,sid even daithi regan on occaisions. It seems they have themselves bet before they step on the field. Still cant get my head around how they beat waterford in walsh pk.

Im going out on a wing here by saying that McIntyre cant be faulted to any great deal - if they have a perpetual glass is half empty mentality together with an apparent discipline problem what really can he do? I applaud his decision to cull the panel as he did before the league even if it meant a loss of the likes of Mullins. It took balls and I respect that in any form of management.

County (and some club level) GAA at the moment is slavery. A bunch of my mates ran into half the wasps team on a sunday session in London after they beat Leinster and they still on it since the game on sat. Granted full time athletes like that can be trusted but is there not an unrealistic expectations for lads who have to work a 9-5 like the rest of us? I can understand how despite all the 'pride in the jersey' sh1t it must be c&ntish to sacrifice so much in antipation of a public humiliation ever summer.If I was a young lad involved in the panel and had to sacrifice a few J1 summers or getting up on a few dirty swedes in Greece like the rest of your college mates that summer I know myself dissillusionment would set in .

Im going to take Michael Cordial as an example - a lad whos character and motivations I know nothing about outside of an odd interview I read with him. I gather hes a self employed plaster in partnership with another with a few employees. Now MC has been criticised in various forums on this and HSDC for this and that and again I bow to the opinions who know more that I. All I know is that I deal with his equivalent at work and seeing all of the daily strife of self employment, it would be reasonable to say of the man that the County Jersey is not and should not be his 24/7 pre-occupation. It seems that nowadays,in the commercially driven media and on these forums, his likes are up there for the same standards of criticism that apply to the professional athlete which in my own lowly opinion is Bu11s5it. Im ranting here but the point im trying to make is that lining out for the county at the moment is no bed of roses at the moment and we need to be more objective in our criticism, especially now give our morale is so low.

We can speculate on all kinds of wet dream management alternatives involving sid/johnny p/micky d/johnny d but wed be better off with a management of Dr Phil/Eileen Drewery and Yuri Geller the way our heads are at the moment.

Theres me off the soapbox - for what its worth a cant see us losing on sunday, nevermind all the injuries. Anyone think the same or am I the sole apologist for those who dont appreciate the honour of the county jersey?

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Re: Sundays v Leix

durra1 wrote:Im going to take Michael Cordial as an example - a lad whos character and motivations I know nothing about outside of an odd interview I read with him. I gather hes a self employed plaster in partnership with another with a few employees. Now MC has been criticised in various forums on this and HSDC for this and that and again I bow to the opinions who know more that I. All I know is that I deal with his equivalent at work and seeing all of the daily strife of self employment, it would be reasonable to say of the man that the County Jersey is not and should not be his 24/7 pre-occupation. It seems that nowadays,in the commercially driven media and on these forums, his likes are up there for the same standards of criticism that apply to the professional athlete which in my own lowly opinion is Bu11s5it. Im ranting here but the point im trying to make is that lining out for the county at the moment is no bed of roses at the moment and we need to be more objective in our criticism, especially now give our morale is so low.
Nail on the head. Good man.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Archangel wrote:Am I right is saying it's 3:30pm Sunday, O'Connor Park?????

Whole family is going, so need to be sure about the time. :?
From gaa.ie
Guinness Leinster Senior Hurling Championship
Tullamore 3.30 Uíbh Fhailí v Laois
Referee: Michael Haverty, Gaillimh

Guinness Munster Senior Hurling Championship
Thurles 2.00 An Clár v Corcaigh *Live RTE 2
Referee: Pat O’Connor, Luimneach

Muck Savage
All Star

Post by Muck Savage »

durra1
I couldn't agree more. I've been in a similar position with the footballers where I bust me ass training during the winter when all the mates were out hooring and touring aorund the country and EU. Ya go out then on a Sunday make a few mistakes (and believe me none were on purpose!) and all ya here is some c@#t who probably never put on a jersey at club level let alone county level, never gets involved in the local club to help out shouting abuse at you. This is probably his only game to attend during the year and because he's got a Offaly Supporter sticker on the back of the car can justify this. Believe me when a ball is dropped, a ball kicked/pucked wide the player that does this is the first to know it and 100 times more pissed that any supporter.
What I'd be afraid of here is that this poor attitude here would rub off on the players if any of them are reading it. In fairness, most of them will have asssess to this. It's only two games back that they beat Waterford, showed great heart, and in general I'd say had a good league. OK they got dropped down but the only bad game they played was the Limerick game and that could have been different if they didn't get a scatter of goals. How many of us will be out Friday or Saturday night having a scatter of pints? Most of us will, but if I said that we should all stay off the beer this week in prep of the Sunday game ye'd all say "What the ??". But I guarentee you all the lads on that panel will be preping like pro players this week and they get nothing from any of us or expect nothing.
OK I'm going to crawl off this soap box before someone tells me to f$@k off :oops: