County Hurling Champonship gets underway

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

County Hurling Champonship gets underway

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Action returns to the club scene at the weekend when the 2007 Offaly County hurling championship gets underway. In recent years this championship has been something of a damp squib, mainly due to the inability of any club side to mount a challenge to Birr’s dominance. This may change this year, however, following Coolderry’s brave effort in last year’s final when Birr came from behind to snatch a draw that barely seemed likely with five minutes to play. Even more surprising, though, was Coolderry’s sustained attempt to win the replay, when Birr were again forced to mount a late comeback. Even then, Birr were counting their blessings when Murray’s late late goal attempt screamed wide.

So what of this year then? Birr remain, of course, the standard setters. Pat Joe Whelahan is back at the helm after a two-year absence. They are unlikely to have any retirements, with Brian Whelahan their oldest campaigner, the next oldest would be Gary Hanniffy and Simon Whelahan, both 31 this year.

Following last year, Coolderry will believe that they are capable of the intensity needed to topple Birr. Like Birr, they won’t be affected by old age and retirements. How would they cope with the expectation from within their own parish though? With the semi-final pairings decided by open draw, they may beat Birr in a semi-final but not a final. Still, a Birr-Coolderry pairing would be much anticipated following last years exciting double.

Of the rest, St. Rynagh’s came close to beating Coolderry in last year’s semi final. They will, as ever, be a danger and won’t lack belief when facing Birr. Kilcormac-Killoughey, as usual, will flatter to deceive, and won’t have what it takes to beat Birr or ‘Rynagh’s, though they may have the beating of Coolderry. None of the rest have shown the form over the last three years, or have the strength in depth, to suggest they would challenge for county glory.

I'll stick my neck out and go for Coolderry to fulfil their potential and bring the Séan Robbins out the N52 in October.

Still, with three teams advancing from each group, losing at this early stage isn’t fatal, and the championship will build up from a slow start to, hopefully, a crescendo. It’s also a chance for some deposed county ‘stars’ to show the county management that they are capable of leading their clubs.

This weekends pairings are as follows:-

ST. RYNAGH’S v SHAMROCKS
On the face of it, ‘Rynagh’s should win this. However, ‘Rynagh’s are notoriously slow starters in this competition. They opened last year’s championship with a narrow win over Tullamore with a late goal. Shamrocks will be the fittest team in the championship, and the strongest. Still, it’s difficult to see an upset in this, their first meeting at senior level.

Last meeting:- N/A
Verdict:- St. Rynagh’s to win in the last quarter.

BIRR v KINNITTY
OK, everyone knows Birr will win this, but the fixtures will favour Kinnitty. Get this sixty minute car crash over with, and they can concentrate on facing Clareen and Shinrone after the county team are finished the All-Ireland qualifier series. It’s fair to say they would be favoured to win both of these. I was surprised to see that these pair haven’t opposed each other since 1997, though since then, Kinnitty have spent much of the intervening period in the weaker group and away from Birr.

Last meeting:- Birr 4-10 Kinnitty 2-9, round 3, 1997.
Verdict:- Birr.

SHINRONE v SEIR KIERAN
It’s difficult at the opening round to know what will happen here, mainly due to regrading. In Clareen’s case, many older heroes regraded last year and they went on to win the Junior title with a second team for the first time. Kevin Kinahan and Billy Dooley did return to senior level as the year progressed. Shinrone reached the semi final two years ago, though the disappointed in last year’s quarter final, being beaten by K/K well before the finish. The loser here will find it very difficult to qualify, with Birr and Kinnitty to come in August.

Last meeting:- Shinrone 2-13 Seir Kieran 1-13, round 5, 2005
Verdict:- Seir Kieran, if they have the above named available to them.

LUSMAGH v BELMONT
A crucial match for both, though not the do-or-die match it was last year, when Lusmagh won well in the second half. Belmont have been the success story of recent times, Intermediate winners and senior quarter finalists in successive years, largely through conquering indiscipline and playing a good, quick brand of hurling. The pace of the Egans up front will trouble Lusmagh if they can make space with a good supply of quick ball. Lusmagh reached the quarter final last year where they should have beaten Coolderry. However, they will be well advised to move on from this rather than dwell on it. Losing to Ballinamere in the O’Connor Cup last weekend isn’t ideal preparation, though this may be the wake up call they need.

Last meeting:- Lusmagh 1-11 Belmont 0-7, round 1, 2006
Verdict:- Lusmagh to shade a tight contest.

COOLDERRY v TULLAMORE

Coolderry came within a whisker of ultimate honours last year. However, like Lusmagh, they would do well to move on from this rather than clap themselves on the back. The placing of Joe Brady will be interesting. Brian Carroll is struggling to discover his best form on the county scene. Still, their marquee hurlers are in their mid twenties now, where you want them to be. They’re enjoying a run in the Leinster league (for what it’s worth) beating famed Tullaroan along the way. Tullamore haven’t enjoyed the best of results in recent years despite some encouraging performances, and they had to battle through a protracted relegation series last year when Coolderry were giving Birr a scare. Their best chance of a win this year will come later in the series

Last meeting:- 2001 (don’t have the scoreline available).
Verdict:- Coolderry to win well.

KILCORMAC/KILLOUGHEY v BALLYSKENAGH

Ballyskenagh have been hit with the transfer of two of their best hurlers in the last twelve months. Their great run to the county final four years ago seems a lifetime away now, and every rural club needs every good hurler it can get. It can only get worse for this small club. K/K, on the other hand showed some promise last year, and have an abundance of talent, with a good spread of youth and experience. Also, they don’t have the distraction of county panellists to hinder their preparation. They should win here and face Drumcullen next weekend where again, they should have too much for their neigbours who have shown no promise of ending their famine in recent years.

Last meeting:- Kilcormac/Killoughey 2-13 Ballyskenagh 0-10, round 1, 2005.
Ballyskenagh 2-11 Kilcormac/Killoughey 0-16, play-off, 2005.
Verdict:- K/K to beat both ‘Skenagh and Drumcullen.

Edit: just copped that word changed 'regraded' to 'regarded'. Apologies.
Last edited by Plain of the Herbs on Wed May 02, 2007 8:43 am, edited 3 times in total.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Quality bit of work there lad. An excellent read.

It's hard to disagree with any of the predictions either. I'd be torn between Shinrone and Clareen, perhaps leaning more towards Shinrone due to their marginally better depth, but it still is fairly 50/50.

I see K/K beat Rynaghs in the under 21 at the weekend as well. I know we keep saying it, and I've been taken in by them each year for the last two years, but surely to God they have to be due at the very least giving Coolderry or Birr a decent run at least, rather than folding completely.

Incidentally, I'm going to set up the tipsters comp now as well - do you have times for these fixtures by any chance? Needless to say the official website has nothing.

Offalys Future
All Star

Post by Offalys Future »

The following are my predictions for the first round games

St Ryanaghs
Birr
Shinrone
Belmont
Coolderry (just about)
Kilcormac Killoughey

Some good reading there fair play
A tipsters comp would be good fun if you can setup

borderfox
Junior A

Post by borderfox »

Good Post,

Shamrocks always start the year with well, they will have the belief that they can beat banagher,but id expect banagher to win but not by much.

Birr beat kinnitty/clareen u21 at d weekend and birr should be expected to win this game,however two years ago birr started off their campaign with a draw against clareen so that will give kinnitty some hope.

Clareen shinrone will be tight,i think clareen might just shade it.

Belmont and Lusmagh will be even enough aswel, both are not going well in the league so a win should kickstart someone`s year

Coolderry to beat Tullamore well, cant see a shock in this game.

KK to beat skenagh well

kinnittyman
All Star

Post by kinnittyman »

Excellent read there Plain. Great preview. Much better than we'll get from the midland tribune this week although by the time the football rolls around im sure Corrigan will have a four page spread with every fact on the planet thrown together. Well thats enough of the rant.
In my humble opinion at a stretch there are only four genuine contenders for the Sean Robbins this year. And they are last years four semi-finalists. Birr obviously start off as favourites and have a favourable group to get through so will enter the Q-Finals unbeaten. Coolderry as has already been mentioned would be better off meeting Birr in the Semi rather than the final. Having said that Im not too sure of how good Coolderry will be this year. They rely heavily on Brain Carroll for scoring and as we have seen with the county he's struggling for form so their other main threat would be Damien Murray but i think everyone has at this stage made their mind up about him. The strength of this Coolderry team is there backs who are very tenacious in the tackle and dont take any prisoners. They are the best set of club backs in the county. Rynaghs and K/K are surely going to be quietly confident this year with Birr seemingly on the slide. The two sides served up a cracker at the weekend in the U21 semi final-it was a terrific game with a high standard of hurling and completley outshone the second semi on sunday morning. I have to say i like the look of K/K and in John Leahy they have an excellent coach who is very adept at making excellent tactical decisions as anyone who was at the game saturday evening can testify. They didnt do themselves justice in last years semi final and that experience will stand to them. At this point in time i would place them slightly above Rynaghs in the pecking order but Rynaghs being Rynaghs wont fear anyone and in Diarmuid Horan they have one of the brightest prospects in the county.
Looking at this weekends fixtures Birr are a sure bet to beat Kinnitty who without exagerating seem to be in disarray with no semblance of a settled team and some poor recent performances. Birr by at least ten. The winners of the second game in the group would really fancy their chances of finishing second to Birr and i am going to pick Clareen to marginally shade it on the back of how they improved as last year went on-Clareen by two. I tip Belmont to beat Lusmagh whom i saw at the weekend and who really are a poor outfit and the Egans will no doubt cause them lots of problems-Belmont by four. I also saw Tullamore hurl this year and i give them a slight chance against Coolderry if they're backs can get on top but my choice goes to Coolderry by 5. As far as im concerned K/K and Ballyskenagh will be the walkover of the weekend and I tip K/K to beat Skenagh by more than Birr beat Kinnitty.
Finally at this early juncture ill throw my hat into the ring with the prediction of Birr K/K final with Birr taking their third crown in a row and they're eight in nine years.

Treasurer
All Star

Preview

Post by Treasurer »

For what it's worth, just one wee little flaw in your preview there - last meeting was actually in a playoff in 2005, Ballyskenagh 2-11, KK 0-16

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Lads, just so ye know, the official tipsters thread is now open, and there are a few handicap bets on there as well, so if ye want to be entered just post up on there.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Re: Preview

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Treasurer wrote:
For what it's worth, just one wee little flaw in your preview there - last meeting was actually in a playoff in 2005, Ballyskenagh 2-11, KK 0-16
You are, of course, correct. I've edited the above. My apologies to all.
Another Damian Lawlor moment!

kinnittyman
All Star

Post by kinnittyman »

kinnittyman wrote:Excellent read there Plain. Great preview. Much better than we'll get from the midland tribune this week although by the time the football rolls around im sure Corrigan will have a four page spread with every fact on the planet thrown together. Well thats enough of the rant.
In my humble opinion at a stretch there are only four genuine contenders for the Sean Robbins this year. And they are last years four semi-finalists. Birr obviously start off as favourites and have a favourable group to get through so will enter the Q-Finals unbeaten. Coolderry as has already been mentioned would be better off meeting Birr in the Semi rather than the final. Having said that Im not too sure of how good Coolderry will be this year. They rely heavily on Brain Carroll for scoring and as we have seen with the county he's struggling for form so their other main threat would be Damien Murray but i think everyone has at this stage made their mind up about him. The strength of this Coolderry team is there backs who are very tenacious in the tackle and dont take any prisoners. They are the best set of club backs in the county. Rynaghs and K/K are surely going to be quietly confident this year with Birr seemingly on the slide. The two sides served up a cracker at the weekend in the U21 semi final-it was a terrific game with a high standard of hurling and completley outshone the second semi on sunday morning. I have to say i like the look of K/K and in John Leahy they have an excellent coach who is very adept at making excellent tactical decisions as anyone who was at the game saturday evening can testify. They didnt do themselves justice in last years semi final and that experience will stand to them. At this point in time i would place them slightly above Rynaghs in the pecking order but Rynaghs being Rynaghs wont fear anyone and in Diarmuid Horan they have one of the brightest prospects in the county.
Looking at this weekends fixtures Birr are a sure bet to beat Kinnitty who without exagerating seem to be in disarray with no semblance of a settled team and some poor recent performances. Birr by at least ten. The winners of the second game in the group would really fancy their chances of finishing second to Birr and i am going to pick Clareen to marginally shade it on the back of how they improved as last year went on-Clareen by two. I tip Belmont to beat Lusmagh whom i saw at the weekend and who really are a poor outfit and the Egans will no doubt cause them lots of problems-Belmont by four. I also saw Tullamore hurl this year and i give them a slight chance against Coolderry if they're backs can get on top but my choice goes to Coolderry by 5. As far as im concerned K/K and Ballyskenagh will be the walkover of the weekend and I tip K/K to beat Skenagh by more than Birr beat Kinnitty.
Finally at this early juncture ill throw my hat into the ring with the prediction of Birr K/K final with Birr taking their third crown in a row and they're eight in nine years.
Well fcuk me i have never wishes as much in all my life that i was wrong. Fcuk Fcuk Fcuk!