Offaly hurling panel

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Offaly hurling panel

Post by Bord na Mona man »

All kinds of rumours flying about who's on, and not on the new Offaly panel, some from very unreliable sources i.e. h*ganstand.com.
Do any of the informed posters here know what the new panel is?

the rock
Junior C

Post by the rock »

ghb vhjnb jkmn klmkl;mlk;. m
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Loughers
All Star

Offaly Panel

Post by Loughers »

I heard that 12 lads got letters thanking them and not inviting them back. The ones I can remember are Joe Brady, Simon, Diggy, Brown, Shane O'Connor.
Esto Fidelis

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Seems drastic. I'm all for trying out new players, but are we going to end up with a scenario where we draft in a load of fresh blood. Then half way through the league realise they are even worse than what we had?

Also it seems that players who were able to command a starting place a few months ago are now deemed not good enough for a panel place even. I'd give the management the benefit of the doubt, but maybe certain players should have been shown the road long before this.
This is where the input of the new selectors will be valuable. I'd have much more confidence in the current selectors than the previous ones, who didn't seem to get along with the players.

green&white
Senior

Post by green&white »

[b]Out:
o'connor
o hara
cordial
hanrahan
murray
simon w
molloy
j brady
p healion
brown
claffey

In:
verney
s dooley
a middleton
d molloy
d kenny
t corcoran
r murray
k kelly
c hernon
c horan

Recalled:
Parlon
Rigney
Bevans

Retired:
Sid aka Legend

Sorry to say but this is a disgrace!!!!!
I have no problem with dropping players not perpared to give 100%, but such drastic measures are rediculous!!!
sadly we are staring relegation in both c'ship and league straight in the face!!
[/b]

Bord na Mona man
All Star

I'm not going to name individual players, but of the ones that are dropped, four or five of them I would have thought were players who might have had something to offer and it's disappointing to see them cut.
Of the ones coming in, sad to say, but a few of them are good enough players, but I have my doubts if they are inter county standard.
But as always I'll bow to the better judgement of the management team. They've seen plenty of these lads in training and in club matches. If this latest mixture is going to put the spark and fight back in Offaly hurling, then I'm all for it.

They are several people who would be better judges than myself, but my feeling is that of late Offaly teams have lacked spirit, belief, bottle, whatever you might like to call it. A few players don't seem to have the required attitude and discipline on and off the field. Others who mightn't have great self belief have probably suffered from the lack of leaders on the field.

Skill wise I don't think we are that far off some of the other counties. Unfortunately as well, the line ups have been so unsettled, that we've never managed to develop to cohesive game plan or style of play either. As yet McIntyre hasn't managed to pull any rabbits out of hats with his chopping and changing, hopefully he'll hit on something good this time.

turk
All Star

Post by turk »

Sending out rejection letters - this is an outrage! I'm livid!!!

McIntyre should go now

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

That's interesting. Looks like the subs have got the chop for the spring at any rate. In fairness, the starting fifteen for May/June (and indeed the league) was never going to differ hugely from that of last year. The changes to the panel would be aimed at freshening up the whole approach in general.

Observation 1. We've waited for 5 years to get the full back line in order. That was acheived last year. I feel David Franks should be left at corner back in a full back line with Cleary and O'Meara. I think it would be madness to move him.

Observation 2. Ray Murray as understudy goalkeeper. I've alwats felt O'Connor was the second best goalkeeper in Coolderry. Murray must be rated third. Is this wise? Now, going through each senior club, most goalkeepers are either very young (eg Kelly, Butler) or getting on (eg Byrne, Coughlan). Mark Mnlrooney looked the part when he got his chance with Birr this year. If they were going to elect for a club intermediate goalman, I'd elect for Mulrooney.

Observation 3. Plenty of under 21's.

Observation 4. Barry Whelahan is a notable absentee.

Loughers
All Star

Panel

Post by Loughers »

As far as I know, Oakley is another one to get the chop and Barry is back.
Esto Fidelis

flairgun
Junior A

Post by flairgun »

I'm surpised to see some of the names which have been dropped, but change is required. We'd be complaining if he sent out the same bunch as last year again.
Personally, I think until the county championship is reduced to 8-10 teams, we won't see significant improvement in player quality, but that's a whole other thread.
I've been away for a while so a lot of the new names coming in are unfamiliar to me. Anyone care to give a rundown on the newcomers for us exiles?

Rynaghs Biffo
All Star

Post by Rynaghs Biffo »

Absolutely shocked!!

We're losing a lot of quality players here and bringing in too many under 21's. The big one for me is the omission of Shane O'Connor, who would be my number 1 between the sticks.

Think its harsh on the likes of Mick O'Hara, Damian Murray and Diggy who have always been there and Aidan hanrahan Healion who never really got a decent chance to really impress.

Now I'm not looking forward to meeting Kilkenny in a Leinster semi, thats even if we get there!!

Bogman
All Star

Fair Play to John McIntyre.

Post by Bogman »

I applaud John McIntyre for his willingness to shake things up a bit!!

I am sorry for a few of the players dropped but delighted to see some of the others come on board - Michael Verney, Shane Dooley et al.

I don't think a letter is necessarily a cruel way to do this - it is the start of the season and therefore a new squad.

I'd have liked to see more new faces - Stephen Molloy from Kinnitty, for instance, who was very consistent in 2006 and a look at some of the minors - Diarmuid Horan, James Gorman or Currams.

Muck Savage
All Star

Post by Muck Savage »

I'm delighted, great to see some new faces in here and it's true that the heart and fighting spirit has been missing with Offaly hurling for the past number of years. We've been able to get by with skill for a long time and some of the more recent teams seem to have fallen into the "we're skillful so no need to train" bracket. Fact is the team of the 90's was the most skilful ever, now's time to put the sholder behind the wheel and work.

With all the U21's in here it bodes well for the U21 team this year. If they can get clicking together and get a run going it would be something to build on for the future. A Leinster U21 title would work wonders, let's be honest the Senior title won't come this year. Build from the ground up and in a couple of years we could be a senior contender again.

I don't mean to disrespect any of the lads that have been dropped, fair play to them for the work they put in over the past few years. Maybe some of them have asked for a few months off and will be back in March.

Kevin
All Star

The RESULTS are all that matter

Post by Kevin »

It will be interesting to see how those who received the rejection letter react.

Hopefully they will think about why the management let them go. For those that do not believe their career is at an end I hope they see fit to post the letter where they can see it every day and take the actions necessary to see that management should change their opinions in the future.

If one or two of these guys come back running through walls some day it could be a beautiful story.

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Just to confirm:

Offaly hurling manager John McIntyre has raised eyebrows by completing overhauling his panel for the coming season.

Established stars such as Michael Cordial, Damien Murray, Mick O’Hara, Joe Brady and Aidan Hanrahan have all been surprisingly omitted from the 28-man training panel. But the biggest shock of all is a lack of a single Whelahan family member since 1989. A county board spokesman said that the most celebrated of the brothers, Brian, is “not available”, while Barry and Simon simply haven’t been included.

In all, 12 players from last season’s panel have been culled, and this has paved the way for McIntyre to introduce 10 players who are still under 21 in 2007. Amazingly, 23 of the 28-man panel is under the age of 25 so the Tipperary man is clearly building for the future.

Among the newcomers are Cathal Horan and Shane Dooley, sons of former county stars Padraig Horan and Joe Dooley. The other new faces are Ray Murray, Trevor Corcoran, Michael Verney, Conor Hernon, Kevin Kelly, David Kenny, Alan Middletown and Derek Molloy.

The panel in full is: J Bergin, E Bevans, K Brady, B Carroll, P Cleary, A Egan, D Franks, G Hanniffy, R Hanniffy, D Hayden, D Hoctor, B Mullins, B Murphy, G Oakley, B O’Meara, C Parlon, J Rigney, B Teehan, C Horan, S Dooley, R Murray, T Corcoran, M Verney, C Hernon, K Kelly, D Kenny, A Middletown and D Molloy.