Offaly Team to face Wexford in Leinster Football Championshi

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
the Untouchable
All Star

Re: Offaly Team to face Wexford in Leinster Football Championshi

Post by the Untouchable »

Fight fight fight!!!

Ah well with little chances of the much anticipated Wazzaman V Townman ever happening, I think we should get back to the real matter in hand, another poor performance by our county footballers!!!

I thought after the Down fiasco a few years ago when they bet us out the gate that it couldn't get much worse for us, but after last Saturday, I think its fair to say that we've hit the low's of the pre Tommy Lyons era!!!

Now I'll start by trying to put the whole GAA scene in perspective, the country is broke, work is hard to come by and money is tight for everyone, so to me these lads deserve great credit for making a commitment to play for the county at a time of recession...seriously, what would a Leinster medal be worth, to a guy whose out of a job? Nothing is the straight answer!!

Ok, people are disappointed that the footballers lost, but seriously compared to Kildare, Meath (as bad as they are) Louth, Laois, Westmeath, not to mention Dublin...we are no where near the level required to win a Leinster title...not that I'm saying Westmeath or Laois would but I'd back them to beat that Offaly team any day of the week!!!

If they go out for a few drinks after the game...good for them...I'm sure they know they didn't play well...but if you saw them in Tullamore drinking after the game chances are you didn't go home after the match...so why should they!!!
Also Stephen Darby isn't the answer, 3 county titles in a row with Rhode wasn't hard with the players he had, he'd do no better with the county lads than Cribben or anyone else could have done...the players aren't there to begin with, we don't have a natural full back, have no half back line and in the forwards our choices are all small light footballers who have no real size and struggle to win 50/50 ball...e.g. Deehan, Allen, Reynolds, Casey and Dunne!!
The Untouchable

Phoenix
All Star

Post by Phoenix »

The worst moment for me was when Anton Sullivan went down. I don't know if I've ever seen an Offaly player with that mix of pace and football nous/combativeness/competitiveness. I hope that he doesn't get worn down suffering from recurring injuries. It's easy to say about a player like him that he's very likely to get broke up but it would be a sad loss if it happens.

Phoenix
All Star

Post by Phoenix »

The nearest comparison to Anton Sullivan I've seen in an Offaly shirt is Johnny (Sean) Cooney of the 71/72 team who was a similar type of tearaway wing forward. Johnny might have been a tad more direct in that he'd go through a brick wall on the way to goal but then he probably didn't have to track back as much as Anton has to do nowadays.