Hurling to return to St Brendan's Park

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Re: Hurling to return to St Brendan's Park

Post by Lone Shark »

First up, I've merged these threads since this is where the bulk of the discussion took place - with good points on both sides, I might add.

However since then, the issue of the capacity of St Brendan's Park has been put to bed, which means that the County Hurling final and Offaly's senior championship games cannot be held there for health and safety reasons.

I think it's fair to say that the majority view here would be that if we can't hold our championship games in SBP - and we will have plenty of home championship games now that we have home and away arrangements with most counties in Leinster - then it makes no sense to play our league games in Birr and have the players unfamiliar with OCP when the championship rolls around.

Also, there may have been a great atmosphere in SBP last Saturday, but you have to compare like with like. SBP was the perfect venue for those games, but championship is championship and league is league. Anyone with even the slightest interest in GAA can appreciate that there is a world between those two extremes.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

Lone Shark wrote:I think it's fair to say that the majority view here would be that if we can't hold our championship games in SBP - and we will have plenty of home championship games now that we have home and away arrangements with most counties in Leinster - then it makes no sense to play our league games in Birr and have the players unfamiliar with OCP when the championship rolls around.
From having listened to this debate for the past couple of years, I think the only thing fair enough to say is that there is absolutely no consensus on this issue. I'm sure that even the point you make above could be contested very strongly by a lot of people on here and around the county. The more I listen to the debate the more I realise that each side has a strong case to make.

The only thing that I am sure about, is that such a division is definitely not helping the county - if for no other reason than it gives us an easy excuse. When our minor hurlers lost in Tullamore a few years ago to Westmeath/Carlow (can't remember exactly), this issue managed to mask the fact that we were brutal and stopped us from really resolving the actual legitimate problems that we have here in the good ole faithful county.

joe bloggs
All Star

Post by joe bloggs »

LS you are correct to point out the difference between league and championship. However I honestly feel that playing in ocp is like giving up home advantage in league fixtures due to the lack of atmosphere, which could be the difference in tight games. Referees are human and in all sports give home town decisions in hostile grounds. Hypothetically one 50\50 call in a match by a ref could see us being promoted/relegated. We need to use ever last inch possible to try and benefit the team. Having nice dressing rooms is fine, and a nice jacks to pi$$ into too, but it is more important that the team is backed by a loud home support.
With regard to the championship v Kilkenny we all know that capacity dictates that it must be ocp. There is plenty of time for a few challenge games to get familiar to the pitch. I wouldn't however rule out birr for a back door game ever attendences are much lower in general.
Finally to club games. The attendance at last years 1/4 final games I think showed where most punters favoured. I know there is a section of the ground unfinished, but when complete there will be more than enough space for everyone who would wish to attend an Offaly shc final.
'if your not part of the solution, your part of the problem' J. McClean

sadtimes2012
Junior C

Post by sadtimes2012 »

It seems not many north Offaly supporters travelled to St Brendans Park on saturday .Two very enteraining games a huge crowd and great athmosphere. Now the usual posts start about o connor park... why not attend a game in Birr for a change instead of watching the takings on the gate in Tullamore.

ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Post by ryot »

Should we hold fire on this debate until we know SBP is ready for games like national leagye or All Irl games.

I look forward to seeing a finished SBP

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

sadtimes2012 wrote:It seems not many north Offaly supporters travelled to St Brendans Park on saturday .Two very enteraining games a huge crowd and great athmosphere. Now the usual posts start about o connor park... why not attend a game in Birr for a change instead of watching the takings on the gate in Tullamore.
It was a club double header involving four South Offaly teams. I'd say more travelled than would come the other way if there was an U21 football double in OCP involving Rhode, Edenderry, Daingean and Tullamore.

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

Well Johnny B, you see now what you've started again!
North Offaly man meself now, (not sure of the definition/difference re South Offaly??? tendency to foot turf rather than just turn and peg into heaps which is the favoured method of the South man!!).

I would like to see Offaly play league hurling in Birr, if only to rekindle memories of the glory days when we would get the few sweets in Dolans shop on the way to the game. (Sadly thats closed now too :( ).

But in fairness strong arguments for both sides, I think the fair thing would be that we compromise with a couple of league games in Birr each year. Hurling in OCP really does lack atmosphere.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

they should at least play a few league games in Birr, plus the county minor and under 21 championship games this saturdays minor game again Carlow should be in Birr, there won't be 50 in tullamore this saturday evening watching it.

as for holding big championship games in Birr for the support the county are getting the last few years
you could played them in Banagher for the crowd that would be at it.

kilkenny won't be travelling in big numbers for june the 9th they don't come out till august now.

keenonsport
Junior A

Post by keenonsport »

Well Townman it seems you've got your wish with the minor game being switched to Birr at 5 p.m. on Saturday. Hope to see a big crowd (at least 50+) and an electric atmosphere in St. Brendan's on Saturday or all the fuss won't be worth it. What do we blame if things don't go to plan and we still lose?
All joking aside, it is great to see a county match back in Birr and hopefully a big crowd turns out to support the lads and they can get the win. They have a few classy players in Doughan, Fogarty, Nolan, Kiely and Murray. I'm not too familiar with the rest I was just going on U-21 matches in which all of these shone for their clubs. Pitch was in fantastic nick last weekend so hoping for the same on Sat and a big performance!

kinnittyman
All Star

Post by kinnittyman »

As this match has been moved to Birr I presume it will have to be all ticket as the thousands who wont travel to Tullamore will surely make the pilgrimage to their hurling Mecca.

A sort of Haj for the South Offaly hurling fraternity if you will!

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

sure maybe a few will come from kinnitty village come early to get your seat, :lol: there will be more
at it than there would if it was in tullamore all the same.

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

Coura a hell on it! Away on Saturday and won't get to go! :? Best of luck to the lads, and don't get too emotional in the stand when you look over at the spot where ya used to roll down the hill!

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

townman wrote:sure maybe a few will come from kinnitty village come early to get your seat, :lol: there will be more
Just out of curiosity, I'd be interested to hear if anyone does get an actual attendance figure tonight, to post it up here. It would be interesting to measure it against the average gate that there was for the minor games in Tullamore last year.

It would be nice to move away from the "accepted wisdom" and into the realm of harsh facts.

Due to the game being moved from 7pm to 5pm, that knocks me out from going, as I'm already committed to getting to the minor football. But if anyone could enlighten us all with an official attendance, that would be good.

kinnittyman
All Star

Post by kinnittyman »

Is it on tonight??

I thought it was Saturday?

kinnittyman
All Star

Post by kinnittyman »

Lone Shark wrote:
townman wrote:sure maybe a few will come from kinnitty village come early to get your seat, :lol: there will be more
Just out of curiosity, I'd be interested to hear if anyone does get an actual attendance figure tonight, to post it up here. It would be interesting to measure it against the average gate that there was for the minor games in Tullamore last year.

It would be nice to move away from the "accepted wisdom" and into the realm of harsh facts.

Due to the game being moved from 7pm to 5pm, that knocks me out from going, as I'm already committed to getting to the minor football. But if anyone could enlighten us all with an official attendance, that would be good.
Just checked the website and it's on Saturday at 5pm. The excitement of going into Birr for a county match is nearly unbearable at this stage. I presume Daithi Regan will be there for an individual meet and greet for all the supporters to welcome us back with open arms SBP?