Offaly vs Cork - SHC Qualifier Rnd 2 07/07/2012

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
allstar2010
All Star

Re: Offaly vs Cork - SHC Qualifier Rnd 2 07/07/2012

Post by allstar2010 »

kinnittyman wrote:
Plain of the Herbs wrote:Nearly forgot. My congratulations and best wishes to Eoin who becomes Lusmagh's ninth countyman on Saturday.
Jim Troy
John Troy
Aidan Hanrahan
Pat Temple
Joachim Kelly
Brendan Bermingham
??
??
Would it be Brendan Kelly and David Moran??

The Magpie
All Star

Post by The Magpie »

bracknaghboy wrote: Herbs have you been smokin the wacky tobacky again?
Don't you mean:

Plain, have you been smoking those Herbs again?

:D
The Dog chases the Car....the Car stops....the Dog can't Drive!

first_touch
All Star

Post by first_touch »

kinnittyman wrote:
Plain of the Herbs wrote:Nearly forgot. My congratulations and best wishes to Eoin who becomes Lusmagh's ninth countyman on Saturday.
Jim Troy
John Troy
Aidan Hanrahan
Pat Temple
Joachim Kelly
Brendan Bermingham
??
??
Brendan Kelly for one!

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Colm Birmingham
Joachim Kelly
John Kelly (father of Eoin)
Brendan Birmingham
Jim Troy
Benny Kelly
John Troy
Aidan Hanrahan.

I'm talking championship only here. Neither Pat Temple or David Moran played championship hurling.
kinnittyman wrote:
Jim Troy
John Troy
Aidan Hanrahan
Pat Temple
Joachim Kelly
Brendan Bermingham
??
??
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

timber
All Star

Post by timber »

Just heard last night that a couple of the players have plans in place already to head over to the states again shortly. It made me think, are the heads really focused on this game and I mean focused in that they expect to go out and beat Cork. I think they give these teams far too much respect and are a beaten team before they hit the field.

As regards Dooley and Carroll. I agree both are not work horses or anything like it. Dooley is a poacher. He takes the chance of staying in behind defenders and to be fair he usually finishes off any chance he gets. He is by no means an athlete who will cover ground and win the dirty ball but the same can be said of alot of the best forwards throughout the country.

Carroll is a excellent hurler. Again he is no athlete but when he gets a ball in hand chances are its a score or definately a perfect pass for a team mate. In my opinion he has been played far too much around midfield and half forward. The way hurling is gone at county level nowadays, he is not made for those roles. It is ridiculous hurling him there. I think he should be hurling where he has always played his best hurling since his schools days in Kilkenny, and that is right corner forward. Give him good ball and he wont let you down.

On the team itself, Mahon, Murphy, and Brady all stand out as players that are a bit off at present. Id worry a bit about Hernon, I was never overly impressed with him at club level. Good luck to him though and hope it goes well. He must be doing something right in training for baker to pick him.

Great to see young Kelly get his chance. He has put in a big effort and I really hope he shows how good he is.

durra1
All Star
Club: Durrow/Ballinamere

Post by durra1 »

That’s get-the-Thermos-and-lunch-box-ready-stuff from POTH. Would really want to make you get in the car on Saturday morning and make a beeline to PUC.

If what Timber says is true reagarding some of player’s plans, you’re looking at a cricket score.

The lack of intensity shown by our forwards in defending defensive clearances as mentioned by others is likely to be our undoing. It’s become a basic requirement for any side (county or club) with serious ambitions in the modern game. It totally changes the standard of service an opposing forward line enjoys in a game.

he highly-conditioned Tipp forwards let the cork back 6 hurl a lot of ball out in the last round and I can’t see us coming close to those levels of intensity for 70 minutes. If I were a starting OY forward, i'd put everything into hounding my man and covering the space to cut off handy back and side passes across the back lines which were a feature of the Corks defensive strategy v Tipp.

Best of luck to Eoin Kelly. Any sub keeper is worth a start from time to time. In hurling you usually see a sub keeper who finally gets a start taking his opportunity with both hands and I hope Saturday will be no different for Eoin.

Sharp Eye
All Star

Post by Sharp Eye »

durra1 wrote:
Best of luck to Eoin Kelly. Any sub keeper is worth a start from time to time. In hurling you usually see a sub keeper who finally gets a start taking his opportunity with both hands and I hope Saturday will be no different for Eoin.

Remember Laz Molloy Good subs in football too!

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

I think Cork will win this one, they have improved from last year. Hope i'm proved wrong.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

We've been written off and done nothing to let anyone know that we have a chance.

Under such circumstances, we'll win.

Don't be surprised.

UP THE FAITHFUL!!!!!!
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Turenne
Junior A

Post by Turenne »

Interesting to see so much cockiness from Herbs and Kevin here. If the Offaly players are as bullish this could be a real dog fight, and who knows then...?

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

For those travelling down - check the match is actually going ahead. After this week's rain, Páirc Uí Chaoimh will be Páirc Uí Swamp.

On second thoughts, the match will go ahead alright. The Cork crowd are playing a Munster team next week and they won't let minor irritants like Offaly get in the way of that by switching a match to a playable pitch.

old yellar
All Star

Post by old yellar »

was paul bermingham part of a lge panel a few years back?

Abercrombie Fitch
County player

Post by Abercrombie Fitch »

Had my mind made up. Not gonna travel to watch us be hammered. But...... as the hours tick down I'm putting diesel in the car and planning where I'm gonna celebrate the win. Amazing what loyalty and reminiscence does.

Nobody gave us a hope in 98 and we bet Clare.
Nobody gave us a hope in 99 and we left it behind us.
Nobody gave us a hope in 00 and we beat Cork, the all Ireland champions

Turenne
Junior A

Post by Turenne »

Abercrombie Fitch wrote:Had my mind made up. Not gonna travel to watch us be hammered. But...... as the hours tick down I'm putting diesel in the car and planning where I'm gonna celebrate the win. Amazing what loyalty and reminiscence does.

Nobody gave us a hope in 98 and we bet Clare.
Nobody gave us a hope in 99 and we left it behind us.
Nobody gave us a hope in 00 and we beat Cork, the all Ireland champions
Well said.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

He was, OY (I'm presuming by 'lge' you mean league and not 'large'), and started a match against Galway in OCP on a wet day. There are other Lusmonians who played NHL but not championship, of which Eoin Kelly is one (until 7pm this evening, that is). Hence Eoin being the 9th Lusmagh man to hurl championship.
old yellar wrote:was paul bermingham part of a lge panel a few years back?