SHC Final

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
flairgun
Junior A

Re: SHC Final

Post by flairgun »

Anyone willing or able to give a bit more of a description on the Intermediate final?
Not surprised to hear it was poor going off the standard in the one semi-final I saw while home a couple weeks ago.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Has Murray made himself available for selection in recent years?

I could be wrong, but was of the impression that he took himself off the panel a few years back.

Perhaps someone closer to the situation could clarify/elaborate a little. (?)
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

flairgun wrote:Anyone willing or able to give a bit more of a description on the Intermediate final?
Not surprised to hear it was poor going off the standard in the one semi-final I saw while home a couple weeks ago.
I only made it in from the last five minutes of the first half, so I won't go into too much detail, but yes, it was a poor enough game. Drumcullen did look like the better team and always looked a little more dangerous, however you couldn't say that they wereto strong to hurl intermediate. Nicky Lawlor had been moved to centre back and he did a really good job there, while Conor Gath, as ever, is accurate and well capable of taking points.

A lot of others were disappointing. I've always thought that Joe Troy is a hurler with plenty of potential but he was off at half time and nobody I asked said that he had done enough to merit staying on, while Harry Ryan didn't really dominate the game as a player of his ability should. On another day players like the Mahers might have got quick ball and the space in which to run, but there was an absence of clean, quick striking and the game had a lot of ruck-like hurling.

Typical of the whole thing was at the end, when Rynaghs needed a goal but they couldn't even muster a good ball into the square, while Drumcullen struggled to get a good clearance away and hold the ball up the field.

I'd be slow to dismiss players or clubs on the strength of a county final Sunday, however my gut feeling is that Drumcullen will do well not to go the way of Brosna Gaels next year. In one sense I'm glad to see them gone up because Offaly can ill afford a club like Drumcullen to drop off the radar and turn into another Killavilla, but I'm more inclined to say that this year strongly suggests that ten senior hurling clubs is more than enough for this county. It makes no sense to me that a club who haven't been able to reach a senior semi final in four years are still able to field a second team that have reached three intermediate semi finals and one final in that same four years.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Long John
All Star

Post by Long John »

Drumcullen were the better team by a long way. I thought Rynaghs were a big let down. They seemed to have quiet a young team with little experienced campaigners to show a bit of leadership. "GAZZA" Kelly was dangerous but I think Rynaghs made a fatal error throwing him in full forward. He was their biggest threat and won quiet a bit of possession at half forward. Then when Drumcullen nosed ahead Rynaghs were a bit to eager to get a goal and looked to Kelly as the main man at the edge of the square. He also took on too much by times trying too hard to work a goal by beating a couple of defenders but eventually being outnumbered. I thought Rynaghs lacked a decent gameplan when they fell behind.

Gath picked off scores from play and frees and carried the attack for alot of the game. The other wing foward maher also caused Rynaghs a good few headaches. Nicholas Lawlor had a fine game when moved to centre back and swept up alot of ball. He was possibly the performer in the game, more so in the second half.

I wont say its great to see Drumcullen back at senior level. They have a huge tradition alright but in the last number of years I was disgusted with some of the agressiveness of their players and supporters at games. Particularly, they played Tullamore a couple of seasons ago and I lost alot of respect for them that day. It was like some players had lost the plot and were solely determined to attack players with wild wild hurling. When you see lads winding up the hurl when chasing down players you know whats coming next.

To be fair I didnt see that at the weekend and maybe they are concentrating more on hurling now and that reaped its rewards at the weekend. Hopefully they will continue that way.

ditchhurler
Intermediate

Post by ditchhurler »

From a disappointed Tullamore man i'd like to offer my congratulations to Coolderry and wish them the best for Leinster and hopefully beyond. They were far the better team on Sunday and the best team in the championship by a distance

Regarding the game i was very disappointed with our own display in the first half. They were so determined to keep the ball away from Joe Brady fromt he puck outs that the gift thought he was Donal Og. Trying to be pin point with the puck outs only resulted in the ball going to a Coolderry player or out over the sideline. He hasnt a big puck out anyway and against the wind the furtherest he could have drove it was midfield anyway. He should have done that and let Keane and Kelly fight for the breaking ball, which they are good at, and then try and run at them. A few times when we did we looked like we could cause them problems. Also I read somewhere that Parlon was disappointing for a county player. I find that harsh as he was against the best man marker in the county and not too many can get much off Egan. Egan just had a stormer.

If you had told me 18 months ago I would be disappointed that we didn't retain our county title I would have laughed at you. This team has done tremendously well and the majority of the team is young enough. Hopefully we will be around for a few years yet. It also proves that hurling and football can co-exist in the club if the managers are prepared to communicate and compromise

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Four days on and still hard to know. Coolderry got another electric start and it was “here we go again”. Then Tullamore reeled them in and it was up to Coolderry. I wondered how Coolderry would react and in fairness they hurled their way back into it.

I didn’t expect Coolderry to dominate midfield but Corcoran and Teehan were tremendous. Cooderry did what they had to do – keep Tullamore pucking it out and Tullamore were in all sorts of trouble on their own puckout.

When a team are in arrears and reducing those arrears score by score, and are operating mainly on heart, very often a single score can terminate that comeback. Murray’s free was crucial – Carroll’s point which followed even more so.

Joe Brady was massive – in every sense of the word. He has improved his catching of the ball which was a weakness in his game, and is much the better for it.

The five U21’s have freshened up the team no end. It often takes a burst of fresh air to give a team a fresh impetus.

Something still doesn’t add up about Coolderry and I can’t figure it out. That’s for another day though and Coolderry are worthy champions. Enjoy the celebrations lads.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Re: IHC Final

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

That match was in Mucklagh, L J, wasn’t it? I was at that match and I recall someone was sent off for a terrible slash on Shane Dooley and for a while it could have got out of hand. I know Drumcullen have a ‘reputation’ going back years but there are alot of clubs who have adopted stylish hurling and have rid themselves of that tag.

Even though they were winning a title for the first time in years there was no ‘freshness’ about their play the way there should in the case of a team being liberated. That said, Nicky Lalor’s fielding at the heart of the defence was tremendous.

At the same time it gave the people of the parish a big day out and a chance to put the blue and red flags up. I even saw a blue wheelie-bin on the roadside near the Five Alley with red tape making a diagonal ‘sash’ along the side. Now that’s getting in the Final spirit!
Long John wrote:I wont say its great to see Drumcullen back at senior level. They have a huge tradition alright but in the last number of years I was disgusted with some of the agressiveness of their players and supporters at games. Particularly, they played Tullamore a couple of seasons ago and I lost alot of respect for them that day. It was like some players had lost the plot and were solely determined to attack players with wild wild hurling. When you see lads winding up the hurl when chasing down players you know whats coming next.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Did anyone else see the Kilkenny hurling final yesterday? O'Loughlin Gaels didn't look like losing this one.....only one winner after about 15 minutes. Obviously they have Comerford and Hogan and a few lively forwards but they look beatable. Based on my limited knowledge I would say Coolderry have every chance of coming out of Leinster this year.

Old Leighlin won the Carlow football final replay and are by no means awash with star names so Rhode if on their guard should come through this one even though it will be on in Dr.Cullen Pk.