Offaly Senior Hurlers 2024

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
G91
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Re: Offaly Senior Hurlers 2024

Post by G91 »

I know lads have played for offaly and have transfered but that was within the rules

There's a rule clearly showing kerry are in the wrong ?

Worth a note we had David Frank's hurling club in killkenny for a long time

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

faithfulfanatic wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 8:22 pm https://www.thesun.ie/sport/gaa-hurling ... rling/amp/

Article on Martin Dolphin from 2019.

States that counties in Liam Mc, Joe Mc or Christy Ring could no longer avail of this.
So I don’t know how Kerry are allowed.
The joys of being part of Munster GAA I assume?
The same Munster Council that ensured Ken Hogan’s sons could hurl with Lorrha and Tipp instead of Carrig and Offaly.
Could you elaborate further on this please?

Are you suggesting Ken Hogan’s family never actually lived in Lorrha parish?

Remember If Brian Hogan was born in Lorrha and only spent 1 day there then he is entitled to hurl with them.

faithfulfanatic
All Star
Club: Coolderry

Post by faithfulfanatic »

frankthetank wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 8:46 pm
faithfulfanatic wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 8:22 pm https://www.thesun.ie/sport/gaa-hurling ... rling/amp/

States that counties in Liam Mc, Joe Mc or Christy Ring could no longer avail of this.
The same Munster Council that ensured Ken Hogan’s sons could hurl with Lorrha and Tipp instead of Carrig and Offaly.

Remember If Brian Hogan was born in Lorrha and only spent 1 day there then he is entitled to hurl with them.
I may be wrong now so apologies if I am but I definitely heard of a special dispensation being made with the help of Munster Council.

faithfulfanatic
All Star

G91 wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 8:29 pm I know lads have played for offaly and have transfered but that was within the rules

There's a rule clearly showing kerry are in the wrong ?

Worth a note we had David Frank's hurling club in killkenny for a long time
Article from 2022 where Duignan and Antrim representatives had hit out at the exemption made for Kerry and looked for it to be rescinded.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa ... 90487.html

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

These are the players from Dublin who were able to play senior football for Offaly due to the eligibility allowances.

John Coughlan St Sylvesters 2010 - 2011
Niall Coughlan St Sylvesters 2010
Brian Hanamy Kilmacud 2012
Peter Boland Thomas Davis 2012
Shane Horan Kilmacud 2019 - 2021

Ironic that hurling made it stricter, when you think back at how Dolphin was stopped from crossing the Shannon and Offaly never netted him.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

faithfulfanatic wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 11:36 pm
frankthetank wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 8:46 pm

I may be wrong now so apologies if I am but I definitely heard of a special dispensation being made with the help of Munster Council.
Think there was no juvenile club in carrig at the time and they were playing with lorrha from 6 years of age onwards.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

As you go down the pecking order, this gets more and more common. James Hardiman (Kinnitty) is hurling with Roscommon this year, who have about five or six Galway club men on the panel as well, and Conor Clancy (Rynagh's) is hurling in goal for Louth. I'm sure there are more, but those come to mind.

My gut feeling on this is that while the GAA has to create rules that are black and white, from the county's point of view, it's probably better to keep it to lads where there is a real connection that is genuinely felt by the player, even if that is a lot less tangible.

Parentage rule is all very well, but unless the player feels an actual affinity that goes beyond that, whether it was summers spent in Offaly, Maybe four or five years spent living here as a child, or whatever else it is, or if Offaly would be the county they would prefer to play for, then that's fine. I think you bring that player in, treat them the very same is if they come from Rhode or Rath, and go from there.

Likewise, if there is a player who moves to the county and who wants to plug into their community and use the GAA to do that, even if it's at county level only because he wants to stay playing with his home club, then that's great, glad to have them on board too.

I'm not sure of the value of a player who comes on board for some combination of the mileage rates on offer, and the fact that he didn't make the cut with his native county - and there are definitely plenty of those. I think bringing in people of that nature will impact the sense of solidarity and collective purpose within a panel, and that negative will outweigh any positive benefit that comes from having a player who on paper, is 20% better than the next best native. In a nutshell, just because it's within the rules, doesn't mean you're better off doing it.

Kerry's hurling community is small, but it's not so small that they need a plethora of lads who are coming to terms with the fact that they aren't part of the top 40 in Limerick. Obviously some of them might be genuine in their love for Kerry, but it's also a 112 mile round trip from Kilmallock to the Kerry training centre in Currans, which is €78 a go. So there's that.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

U20 s don't get milage

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

I know that, but I was referring to the Limerick contingent on the Kerry senior hurling panel, and the wider issue of non-native players being drafted into counties that are down the pecking order.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

joey1001
All Star

Post by joey1001 »

private joker wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 1:23 pm U20 s don't get milage
Since when and why not?

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Have u20s ever got it?. Its senior panel only. County boards struggle as it is with just senior panel, imagine adding 30 u20s to it aswell.

joey1001
All Star

Post by joey1001 »

private joker wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 6:42 pm Have u20s ever got it?. Its senior panel only. County boards struggle as it is with just senior panel, imagine adding 30 u20s to it aswell.
I used to get 50 cent a mile, I won't say when that was as I'll be showing my age but it was u21 at the time. Must have changed.

Up The Faithful
Junior A

Post by Up The Faithful »

Could Offaly beat Kerry without the u20s involved?

M Troy
B Connelly C Burke L Watkins
J Sampson C Kiely S Bourke
D King J Clancy
C Mitchell B Duignan L Fox
E Cahill O Kelly E Kelly

S Corcoran
D Maher
P Cleary
D Nally
P Cantwell
M Watkins
J Screeney
R Ravenhill

Probably missing a few???

faithfulfanatic
All Star

Up The Faithful wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 2:10 pm Could Offaly beat Kerry without the u20s involved?

M Troy
B Connelly C Burke L Watkins
J Sampson C Kiely S Bourke
D King J Clancy
C Mitchell B Duignan L Fox
E Cahill O Kelly E Kelly

S Corcoran
D Maher
P Cleary
D Nally
P Cantwell
M Watkins
J Screeney
R Ravenhill

Probably missing a few???
Luke Watkins isn’t a corner back.
David Nally is out for the year.
Morgan Watkins left the panel 2 months ago.
It was also pretty damning that Clancy, Fox and Ravenhill seen little to no game time versus Meath.
Offaly will start King and Bourke without doubt.

G91
All Star

Post by G91 »

There's a few gone from the squad james nally another notable absentee

They don't really have much choice start them and hope we can get the job done without Any setbacks