Offaly Under 20s hurling 2024

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Anonymous1
All Star

Re: Offaly Under 20s hurling 2024

Post by Anonymous1 »

Unbelievable stuff once again but we’ve come to expect nothing less from this bunch of players.

We were far from our best and looked in trouble after twenty minutes but Rigney’s goal swung the momentum and we hit 1-4 on the spin.

Wobbled a little bit after halftime but we always looked comfortable from then on despite the late goal.

Running onto the pitch was wrong, I can forgive the kids for doing so but there were a not insignificant number of adults doing the same who’d really want to reflect on themselves tonight.

Having said that O’Moore Park deserves all the blame for having a piss poor level of stewarding and no PA system, the pitch invasion was totally predictable to anybody who was at the Laois game two years ago.

As for the All Ireland final being at 7:15 on a Saturday night, what’s that all about? When have All Irelands ever been played on A. A Saturday? and B. In the evening?

Plus would Nowlan Park hold a capacity Offaly and Cork crowd?
Last edited by Anonymous1 on Thu May 23, 2024 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Anonymous1 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 1:58 am Plus would Nowlan Park hold a capacity Offaly and Cork crowd?
Just on this one point, Kilkenny looked for this game at the start of the year in recognition of the 100th anniversary of James Nowlan's death, and it was granted - it won't be rolled back now. This is the one possible pairing that would probably exceed the capacity, though as you mention above, a 7.15pm throw in time makes it a bit trickier for parents of young kids etc. 7.30 in Portlaoise, the majority of Offaly people could have had their kids back in bed by 10.30 with ease. You could add another hour onto that for a game in Kilkenny.

My one gripe is that particularly if it is Offaly vs Cork, but the same applies for Offaly vs Tipp, it should be the traditional route of tickets allocated to clubs only, and only if clubs get everything they want, should anything go on general sale. But because the GAA messed up and got into bed with Ticketmaster, that farce of a company will get a good chunk to sell, and while some genuine fans will get them, I've already been texting a few Kilkenny lads that have said they'd like to go along for a look, and there will be plenty of those too. These are good hurling people, but even so, Offaly and Cork/Tipp fans should get first shout here.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

offalyman
Senior

Post by offalyman »

Ah Savage win, Am I right in. Saying the all-Ireland final is in Nolan park Saturday week regardless who wre playing. I also heard that throw in is 7:15 in the evening ah here who fixed it for that time

JohnnyBoy24
Senior

Post by JohnnyBoy24 »

Yeah up on the gaa ixtures website for Saturday June 1st at 7.15pm in nowlan park and as the lads mention here that will not be changing

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Why is it 7.15 ?? We understand why it's nowlan Park.

Surely them time can be pushed back to 3 or 4.

Wing Back
County player
Club: Coolderry

Post by Wing Back »

If Cork beat Tipperary, I think there is a chance demand could exceed capacity of Nowlan Park alright. But the venue is set now, so unlikely too be changed especially considering the 100 year reason from Kilkenny County Board.

However, as others have pointed out, the time makes no sense and should be adjusted. Having the match at 4pm would be much more suitable to the slot of an All Ireland final.

I would prefer the game to be on a Sunday also myself, but unlikely to change that either I would imagine. Although saying that, last year the venue and date was moved from Croke park to Thurles a week later at very short notice. So changes can be made when desired.
'Babs keating 'resigned' as coach because of illness and fatigue. The players were sick and tired of him'

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Delighted with the team. It was a far from perfect Offaly display and that's why this team is special. They always find a way.

A slow start from Offaly and maybe the big crowd added to the pressure.
Like last week, Rigney's goal was worth more than 3 points. Then it was Dublin taking heavy touches and spilling the ball.
Dublin didn't recover until into the 2nd half.

Screeney's two points from out wide were gems too. When the defender does all that's possible and still gets punished, it must be deflating, just as much as it fires up the Offaly crowd.

Some in Dublin might claim they were harshly punished by the ref, but Offaly tackled that bit tidier throughout. Forcing mistakes and turnovers.
Perhaps at MacCarthy level, some of the Dublin fouls wouldn't have been whistled, but they took a hostage to fortune with their more aggressive tackles.
Remember there are Dubs who aren't adamant that their home crowd Croke Park is no advantage, so they can't have it every way.

That was a very useful Dublin team, too. They took care of Wexford and Galway. Maybe they overindulge in scutterball short passing, but they're a formidable outfit that doesn't quit.

As much as the wind was a factor, the team playing into the wind scored one point more. A fatal error Dublin made was conceding the Offaly short puck outs into the wind. It allowed Offaly to regain composure after the early bombardment.

As usual Portleix proved a poor venue for big occasions. The poor layout can't be fixed, but as always, they were disorganised and had feck all stewards.
Clearly they take it for granted that they get big games and don't bother getting extra volunteers.
Or maybe they can't get volunteers. However, I doubt the Leinster Council would have the guts to start sending games elsewhere.

faithfulfanatic
All Star
Club: Coolderry

Post by faithfulfanatic »

Superb win last night, well done to all.

Laois GAA should be embarrassed.
1. Very few stewards on duty. Almost more guards than stewards. I heard one steward loudly tell another on the way in to make sure as many could hear that he'd 'much rather be in the fu***ng bog'.
2. No national anthem played.
3. No subs announced or added time at the end of either half.
4. Bathrooms overflowing with urine.
5. Not even the respect to stick up an Offaly flag, instead opting for an Irish one.

The rivalry and bitterness may be mutual, but the lack of basic decency and respect is criminal.

JohnnyBoy24
Senior

Post by JohnnyBoy24 »

Timing may have something to do with the counties being out in football that day to ?
Offaly and tipp be playing tailteann that Saturday and cork footballers must be also out to. I'm not sure just a thought.

Up The Faithful
Junior A

Post by Up The Faithful »

Liam Hoare - Outstanding again and coming up with back to back match winning saves.

Colin Spain & Cathal King - "The engine room" - Always get through a mountain of work going forward and in defence (without fouling)

Dan Bourke - Haven't seen a hurler in a long time who is so calm on the ball and always manages to make space for himself

Adam Screeney - That point out on the sideline in the 1st half sums him up, so dependable on frees and in the 2nd half he had one go over from way out. Every corner backs nightmare...you get close : he turns ya - you push him towards the sideline : he nearly prefers that.

Hoping that the day it all clicks will be All Ireland Final Day !!!

The last few minutes with the match been stopped was embarrassing. In full agreement O Moore park weren't set up as they should have been...no sound system/10 stewards but also the parents need to take more responsibility.

7.15 in Nowlan Park??? Crazy timing

START THE MIXER, THE BOOM IS BACK !!

Glendassaun
Junior A

Post by Glendassaun »

I think this could be regarded as Offaly's most intelligent display yet. It's difficult to play against a side that sets up with two sweepers, especially against the breeze, but we didn't play into their hands. Weathering the early storm and emerging just four points down was crucial. with Rigney's goal coming at the perfect moment, before great scores from play by Adam and Colin.

We retained possession well playing into the breeze and tried to pick the right pass going forward, though in the second half we were a little more wasteful with possession. Our intensity and honesty is the hallmark of this side and once again we were excellent at the basics, hooking, flicking, tackling. Is Liam Hoare now Ireland's leading penalty expert? It'll take something special to beat him from the penalty spot. His save coming when it did was arguably the turning point that set us on our way.

The support was phenomenal once again. Surely our U20's are the best supported underage side ever in Irish sport, never mind just hurling. To see close on 15,000 Offaly fans descend upon Portlaoise, up from the 11.000 we had in Dr Cullen Park was a sight to behold. The only negative was the premature pitch invasion, which I've no doubt resulted in a slight lapse for Dublin's late goal. However, the blame for that surely lies with inadequate stewarding and who could blame the excitement of the Offaly youngsters.

Regarding the All Ireland Final it's a 50/50 game between Cork and Tipperary as to who we'll play in the final. Tipperary looked very impressive against Cork in the Munster championship, but seemed somewhat stumped by Clare's system in the final group game. Coupled with the loss of their talismanic forward Paddy Mc Cormack to a nasty thumb injury (which is season ending so I believe), then Cork have a realistic chance of going back to back in Munster. I think this Cork side isn't as physically strong as last years team, but they remain a formidable opponent.

Finally, I do believe that Offaly's best performance is still to come. We've seen in progressively larger patches of what we're capable of and I feel this team will once again rise to the occasion and deliver on the big day. The hurt of 2022 and 2023 is driving these lads forward and their constantly learning and improving. Regardless as to who we play in the final there's ample additional motivation for Offaly to perform. I feel like this side is ready to take the next step. What better place to do that than in a sell out Nowlan Park, exorcising the ghosts of 22.

LET'S DECK THE COUNTY OUT IN GREEN,WHITE & GOLD!
Cathal Nolan - Signed out of respect.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

JohnnyBoy24 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 8:47 am Timing may have something to do with the counties being out in football that day to ?
Offaly and tipp be playing tailteann that Saturday and cork footballers must be also out to. I'm not sure just a thought.
Aren’t Offaly footballers out of the running in the Tailteann Cup?

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Tremendous win! Withstanding the early onslaught and taking control was such a lift!

Congratulations lads!!!!

Uibh Fhaili Abu!!!
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

JohnnyBoy24
Senior

Post by JohnnyBoy24 »

SearingDrive wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 11:40 am
JohnnyBoy24 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 8:47 am Timing may have something to do with the counties being out in football that day to ?

Yeah we are. But still have down to play, it's actually fixed for the sunday so I don't know why the u20 is so late in the evening..

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

JohnnyBoy24 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 12:29 pm
SearingDrive wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 11:40 am

Yeah we are. But still have down to play, it's actually fixed for the sunday so I don't know why the u20 is so late in the evening..
I’d love to hear the rationale for a 7:15pm final on a Saturday.