Offaly Vs Wexford in the Leinster U21HC

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
joe bloggs
All Star

Re: Offaly Vs Wexford in the Leinster U21HC

Post by joe bloggs »

What has happened to Kevin Waters from Tullamore, he was in with the seniors last year
'if your not part of the solution, your part of the problem' J. McClean

timber
All Star

Post by timber »

Could somebody list the subs for the game please?

On paper the starting 15 looks quiet weak.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

From the Offaly Express site
Subs.: Conor Slevin (Kilcormac/Killoughey), Pat Camon (St Rynagh’s), Ciarán Buckley (Shamrocks), Michael Cleary (Shinrone), Aodhán Kealy (Kinnitty), Alan Kelly (Lusmagh), Denis Coonan (Shinrone), Brian Kelly (Coolderry), Jason Sampson (Shinrone).
http://www.offalyexpress.ie/sport/gaeli ... -1-3917397
timber wrote:Could somebody list the subs for the game please?

On paper the starting 15 looks quiet weak.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Shameless plug (although I am not connected to the site in any way) here for the following website: http://livescores.sportsnewsireland.com/

Was pulling my hair out listening to some flower and vegetable show followed by a inheritance advice talk on Midlands 103.

At least the above site provided continuous score updates and do so for just about all championship matches.
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

A 1-19 to 0-10 loss with the goal coming late on.
Not 100% unexpected given that Wexford looked stronger on paper, but a disappointing scoreline all the same.

Meanwhile Leix beat Dublin! Fair play to them, they are making strides and have come a long way in recent years.
The Setanta underage hurling programme has gotten things moving in the right direction and people like Pat Critchley have evangelised the grass roots.
Maybe Offaly could learn from them!
I'm sure townman will be along to tell us that Leix haven't won an All Ireland, therefore are at nothing! :lol:

footoftheblooms
Junior B

Post by footoftheblooms »

SAD DAY FOR OFFALY HURLING
Where was the manager as this shambles was unfolding.
Did the manager or the selectors attend any u21 games within the county.
Can somebody please cry halt before any more damage is done to the game in offaly.
Is its a case of the "manager" hid because he is confused by this simple game.
Sorry, im being unfair he did appear for the final five minutes.

corner back
All Star

Post by corner back »

Laois beat the Dubs in other quarter final 2-15 to 17 and will play Carlow in semis. A leinster final place is within their grasp now. Tipp beat Cork 18 17 with late winner

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

footoftheblooms wrote:SAD DAY FOR OFFALY HURLING
Where was the manager as this shambles was unfolding.
Did the manager or the selectors attend any u21 games within the county.
Can somebody please cry halt before any more damage is done to the game in offaly.
Is its a case of the "manager" hid because he is confused by this simple game.
Sorry, im being unfair he did appear for the final five minutes.
offaly have been a disgrace at under 21 for the past 3 years with people over them that don't have a clue, i to think they never seen a under 21 or
minor game this year. the subs bench was the best line for offaly tonight :oops:

timber
All Star

Post by timber »

Disgraceful result last night. And I must admit, when I saw the team sheet for this I was expecting a trimming. I did'nt go into it too much as some people would jump on my back saying I'm being too negative.

Minor and u21 the last number of years has been terrible. The likes of Carlow, Westmeath and Laois are the only games that Offaly are competitive in and they would struggle to beat any of those 3.

Things have to satrt being addressed properly from u8 up. We seem to be the one county that is totally clueless in coaching the players and bringing them along from one grade to the next. Get the basics skills learned well.

What really irritates me is that we see players that were on a minor starting 15 last year, only making the bench this year. There is something very wrong there, and maybe both management and player have to look at themselves regarding this.

A number of months ago I questioned why one particular club was playing county minor players at junior B level. If lads are suppose to be county standard minor players then they have to be hurling at a decent level. They should at least be subs on their clubs top team and getting some sort of game time at intermediate or senior level. Junior B hurling isnt going to develop a young lad. It will only be detrimental and that has been proven with these players slipping back. Some might argue that they are young and need to be eased into adult hurling. That is bull, whats the point in them playing against 40 year olds who pick up a hurl and put on a pair of boots a couple of times in the year. Learn nothing there.

The attitute of county board, clubs, and players themselves is all wrong at the moment. Adddress it now, or throw away the hurls altogether because its a complete joke at present.

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

Apologies for any offence to young Chin! I am delighted to see lads from the Chinese community making a positive contribution to GAA, as they have been responsible ruination of many an Offalymans career! :roll:

As a matter of interest, how did he do last night?

weisford
Junior B

Post by weisford »

Ahlethimoutwithit wrote:Apologies for any offence to young Chin! I am delighted to see lads from the Chinese community making a positive contribution to GAA, as they have been responsible ruination of many an Offalymans career! :roll:

I would say that young Lee Chin was man of the match last night as he controlled midfield all through the match and this following on from his excellent display for wexford senior footballers last Sunday against Longford marks him down as a excellent dual prospect.

Young Lee's talent has being evident from an early age and his biggest problem will be juggling the two codes (or the two senior managers) or should i say three as he is an excellent soccer player as well.

But dont take my word for it as I might be looking through strawberry tainted glasses last night and those who had their fun I am sure took the time to see how he actually played.

As for racial abuse well i am afraid Lee has had to put up with his fair share of it , but he always lets his hurling and football do the talking back.

Well done to laois last night and having watched them on saturday the darkest hour is indeed before the dawn .

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

weisford wrote:
Ahlethimoutwithit wrote:Apologies for any offence to young Chin! I am delighted to see lads from the Chinese community making a positive contribution to GAA, as they have been responsible ruination of many an Offalymans career! :roll:

I would say that young Lee Chin was man of the match last night as he controlled midfield all through the match and this following on from his excellent display for wexford senior footballers last Sunday against Longford marks him down as a excellent dual prospect.

Young Lee's talent has being evident from an early age and his biggest problem will be juggling the two codes (or the two senior managers) or should i say three as he is an excellent soccer player as well.

But dont take my word for it as I might be looking through strawberry tainted glasses last night and those who had their fun I am sure took the time to see how he actually played.

As for racial abuse well i am afraid Lee has had to put up with his fair share of it , but he always lets his hurling and football do the talking back.

Well done to laois last night and having watched them on saturday the darkest hour is indeed before the dawn .
No bias in that. Lee was excellent and in general, Wexford thoroughly outplayed Offaly at midfield. I'd have made him man of the match too, though I thought that neither Gary Moore nor Diarmuid O'Keeffe were far off. It was an odd game actually. I felt that in a lot of sectors, Offaly were well matched - but we were just hopelessly outclassed in the middle of the field, while up front, I make it that our full forward line scored one point and won one free in the whole game. I know Quirke scored three from play, but two of those were after he was moved out to the half forward line. Equally Hannon seemed lively enough and there is a little bit of regret that he didn't get better ball to fight for, but the two corner positions were a black hole throughout the game.

From the point of view of Ollie Baker watching the match, I actually think he won't be too unhappy. Sean Coughlan was excellent at full back, and while Tom Carroll mixed the good with the headless, he never stopped trying and was another that looked decent. I don't think anyone else is really going to feature in his thoughts this year from this team.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Sharp Eye
All Star

Post by Sharp Eye »

Lone Shark wrote:
No bias in that. Lee was excellent and in general, Wexford thoroughly outplayed Offaly at midfield. I'd have made him man of the match too, though I thought that neither Gary Moore nor Diarmuid O'Keeffe were far off. It was an odd game actually. I felt that in a lot of sectors, Offaly were well matched - but we were just hopelessly outclassed in the middle of the field, while up front, I make it that our full forward line scored one point and won one free in the whole game. I know Quirke scored three from play, but two of those were after he was moved out to the half forward line. Equally Hannon seemed lively enough and there is a little bit of regret that he didn't get better ball to fight for, but the two corner positions were a black hole throughout the game.

From the point of view of Ollie Baker watching the match, I actually think he won't be too unhappy. Sean Coughlan was excellent at full back, and while Tom Carroll mixed the good with the headless, he never stopped trying and was another that looked decent. I don't think anyone else is really going to feature in his thoughts this year from this team.
It is most unfair to blame the players for last night's fiasco. Tipperary and Kilkenny had their Under 21 panels in place on February 1st last before Offaly appointed a most inexperienced manager. Tipperary with a limited panel were well prepared by Ken Hogan and have worked hard since last December. In Offaly the club under 21 hurling championship was arranged at a time that would most interfere with the county teams preparation. The Offaly fixtures secretary recently fixed an Under 21 football game between Wheery & Shannon Gaels which involved dual players from Birr, Belmont and St Rynaghs. All under 21 fixtures were cancelled during the campaign of the under 21 footballers. Players wont waste their time with our under 21 hurling panel unless there is a more professional approach. The under 21 footballers trained in Croghan at 6.30 in the mornings. Our hurling team did not look as well prepared last night. Unless the Offaly County Board appoint our under 21 management by October each year and fully support the management, we will be playing in the Christy Ring competition.Our younger players deserve the same coaching and training as those of Kilkenny & Tipp

turk
All Star

Post by turk »

We need to get our act together at this level

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

Have to take our hats off to Laois, fair play to them they seem to be getting their act together at underage level and more power to them. Minors and u21s in a Leinster semi and we're out of both. It's actually quite scary to think how far we are going to be behind in say ten years time. We won't even be the best hurling county in the midlands never mind challenging for a Leinster title. County board and our clubs have to take the blame for this demise! Firstly, we have a county board that doesnt seem to care about our club championships and only want to see matches in O'connor park and feck the development of our teams. The club championship is a joke, 6 teams in both groups and 4 come out of it... Jesus sure teams only bother start training properly in July, so ur looking at clubs only training seriously for 3 maybe 4 months of the year... Pointless stuff and it's killing our county teams.... And as for our clubs why can't we train our players to win balls in the air and enough of this sh1te about ground hurling, that day is over... Jesus when are we going to wake up and say enough is enough.