Offaly vs Waterford All-Ireland SFC Qualifier Rd. 2 10/7/10

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Offaly2010
All Star
Club: Gracefield

Re: Offaly vs Waterford All-Ireland SFC Qualifier Rd. 2 10/7/10

Post by Offaly2010 »

Offaly make three changes for Waterford

Thursday, 8 July 2010
Offaly senior football manager Tom Cribbin has made three changes to his side for Saturday's clash with Waterford in their All-Ireland SFC Qualifer encounter at O'Connor Park.

John Coughlan returns from suspension and will line out at midfield. Sean Pender from Edenderry will start at corner back while Graham Guilfoyle of Clara comes in at wing forward.

Brian Geraghty, Paraic Sullivan and John Reynolds are the players to miss out for Offaly.

Offaly senior football team to play Waterford in the All-Ireland SFC at O'Connor Park on Saturday 10 July:
Alan Mulhall; Brian Darby, Scott Brady, Sean Pender; Niall Darby, Ross Brady, Karol Slattery; Richie Dalton, John Coughlan; Graham Guilfoyle, Brian Connor, Ciaran McManus; Ken Casey, Anton Sullivan, Niall McNamee.

(taken from rte sport site)

Oceans 15
County player

Post by Oceans 15 »

Offaly2010 wrote:Offaly make three changes for Waterford

Thursday, 8 July 2010
Offaly senior football manager Tom Cribbin has made three changes to his side for Saturday's clash with Waterford in their All-Ireland SFC Qualifer encounter at O'Connor Park.

John Coughlan returns from suspension and will line out at midfield. Sean Pender from Edenderry will start at corner back while Graham Guilfoyle of Clara comes in at wing forward.

Brian Geraghty, Paraic Sullivan and John Reynolds are the players to miss out for Offaly.

Offaly senior football team to play Waterford in the All-Ireland SFC at O'Connor Park on Saturday 10 July:
Alan Mulhall; Brian Darby, Scott Brady, Sean Pender; Niall Darby, Ross Brady, Karol Slattery; Richie Dalton, John Coughlan; Graham Guilfoyle, Brian Connor, Ciaran McManus; Ken Casey, Anton Sullivan, Niall McNamee.

Richie Dalton must have some dirt or something on the management or can someone explain that one?

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Not a bad side. Graham Guilfoyle is young and inexperienced, but worth a shot. Every team needs a hard working, ball carrying wing forward. He may find it tough against the physicality that Waterford possess, but he has a promising future for Offaly.

We should definitely be leaning towards enthusiastic players with a winning mentality, not players whose heads drop at the first whiff of trouble. Last year Guilfoyle was a big factor in Clara's comeback against St Laurence's when he came off the bench when Clara were 7 or 8 points down. Similarly Ross Brady bagged 2 goals in the county final when it looked like Rhode's name was on the trophy. You only to see 5 seconds of Anton Sullivan with the ball to realise he is the epitome of self-belief.

I believe the biggest factor in why most other Div 3 sides have put in cracking championship performances and Offaly haven't is the contrasting confidence and self belief. The players that have come into the side since May should freshen things up.

From what I've seen of Waterford, they are a team with several big and strong players who relish physical contact. Picking Coughlan, McManus, Connor and Dalton suggests that Offaly want to match Waterford in strength and catching if midfield becomes a scrap.

Georgio1
All Star

Post by Georgio1 »

AM surprised at him going with Dalton. But again he is at an age where he needs games and encouragement and this game (if he is going to make it should suit him). Waterford are physical and may not be blessed with great pace.
Surprised he dropped Shaper. He has had a good year, but despite what some guys here have said he was shocking throughout the Clare game.
I think he would be ideal to bring in during the second half when the game opens out a little.
Ward must be way off the mark at training? Surely this game would accomadate a target man inside for Niall to work off?

naasmanxrhode
All Star

Post by naasmanxrhode »

Oceans 15 wrote:Richie Dalton must have some dirt or something on the management or can someone explain that one?
Georgio1 wrote:AM surprised at him going with Dalton.
Have to say i'm surprised at this myself, has done nothing in any of the games so far to warrant this inclusion, again i have to ask the question 'what has happened Paul McConway'?
Be careful out their

Offaly2010
All Star

Post by Offaly2010 »

Offaly v Waterford

Friday, 9 July 2010

by James McMahon

Ths clash in the midlands is a chance for either team to get to Round 3 of the qualifiers - a feat that would ensure a productive summer campaign.

Offaly looked a beaten docket for long stages against Clare, but showed their resolve to come out on top after extra time, while Waterford were competitive in going down to a Limerick side who gave Kerry their fill of it last Sunday.

Ciaran McManus remains a key figure in the Faithful set-up and he was instrumental in orchestrating the comeback against the Banner. Niall McNamee is one of the best forwards in the game, and alongside him Ken Casey is equally adept at finding the net and is accurate from placed balls.

There is no doubt that Offaly have a sprinkling of talent in their squad, but their scoring rate needs to be more evenly distributed throughout the hour.

Manager Tom Cribbin makes three changes to the side that eventually saw off Clare with John Coughlan back from suspension to line out at midfield; Sean Pender from Edenderry will start at corner back , while Graham Guilfoyle of Clara comes in at wing forward.

Waterford boss John Owens has taken the plaudits for achieving promotion to Division 3. His side have forwards who know the way to goal, and across the park are a unit who can take the hard challenges.

Owens was disappointed that Johnny Prendergast's red card was not rescinded following an alleged elbow in the defeat to Limerick.

In spite of that, Waterford will not be overawed with the prospect of going O'Connor Park, and if they can overcome the fact that they have been idle for five weeks' they are more than capable of coming away victorious.

That's a reasoning that can also be applied to the home side. Which team wants it more will determine the outcome of what could be one of the more entertaining contests of the weekend.

Verdict: Offaly

Offaly2010
All Star

Post by Offaly2010 »

Georgio1 wrote:Surprised he dropped Shaper. He has had a good year, but despite what some guys here have said he was shocking throughout the Clare game.
I'm surprised at this myself but I don't agree with you about his performance against Clare. I thought he had a great game and he surely must have covered every blade of grass in OCP that day!

Long John
All Star

Post by Long John »

Yes its a team that Waterford wont be shaking in their boots facing.

Should be good enough to win this game, but if Waterford are up for it, it will be a struggle.

Full back line will try hard anyway. Jury still out on Pender. He got a few roastings at club level that ive seen but by all accounts he must be showing well in training and challenge games.

Half back line very weak with the exception of Slattery. Darby is a forward, a player id bring in with 20 minutes to go around centre forward as he moves around alot and would disrupt a team. He is no half back though. Ross Brady at centre back is bad decision, he hasnt the composure or footballing brain for the position. Its such a vital position and an area Offaly can be exposed.

Midfield- Cant see how Dalton is still on the panel. Coughlan would want to start using his head a bit better.

Half forward line- Guilfoyle is a prospect, strange to see him a sub in some games for clara last year and now a county footballer but he'll do ok. It was a good decision to get rid of Reynolds, he was a liability, too windy and slow.

Full forward line- Anton is doing well, full of confidence, Casey is a bit windy alright and Niall Mac if fit can win the game for them. I agree with other posts about Ward, he is without question the second best forward in the county behind McNamee. I find it baffling he isnt in the full forawrd line. The two of them together would be unstopable with decent ball.

GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

Post by GreatDayForTheParish »

Brian Connor really should be in midfield. Himself and Coughlan have the making of a talented and long lasting partnership.

On a side note, do any of the football fans feel that the Man Behind the Wire columns in the Tribune are overly negative/pessimistic about the football team or would it be a fair reflection of how 'that end' of the county feel about the team/management?

offalyman08
All Star

Post by offalyman08 »

GreatDayForTheParish wrote: On a side note, do any of the football fans feel that the Man Behind the Wire columns in the Tribune are overly negative/pessimistic about the football team or would it be a fair reflection of how 'that end' of the county feel about the team/management?

I havent read the column so i cant comment on what was said or how harsh it was but it is hard to compliment them these days given their results since 2007.
Last edited by offalyman08 on Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Magpie
All Star

Post by The Magpie »

Georgio1 wrote:Surprised he dropped Shaper. He has had a good year, but despite what some guys here have said he was shocking throughout the Clare game.
He was a little wayward with his kicking, particularly in the first-half, but to say he was shocking in the Clare game is beyond belief. Between himself and Brian Connor (who GDFTP has rightly said, belongs in the middle of the field), they won a phenomenal amount of ball late in the second-half and in the first-half of extra-time - the period in the match when Offaly played their best football and the period in which they nailed the coffin closed on Clare.
Long John wrote:Half forward line- Guilfoyle is a prospect, strange to see him a sub in some games for clara last year and now a county footballer but he'll do ok.

Not really that strange. When you're 18 years old, 12 months is a major development period. Anton Sullivan has risen through the ranks at pretty much the same rate. But you're right about him being a prospect, with much to learn.
Long John wrote:Midfield- Cant see how Dalton is still on the panel.
I haven't seen enough of Richie Dalton to judge how good or bad he is. However, on the basis of his performances against Meath and Clare, he shouldn't be on the team.
naasmanxrhode wrote:again i have to ask the question 'what has happened Paul McConway'?

Paul McConway was introduced as a sub in the Clare game (I think the first-half of extra-time) and was steady, but I don't think he's a stand-out candidate for a starting position.
Long John wrote:It was a good decision to get rid of Reynolds, he was a liability, too windy and slow.
Long John, if you were at the Clare game, at what point did John Reynolds look any of the above?
Long John wrote:Ross Brady at centre back is bad decision, he hasnt the composure or footballing brain for the position. Its such a vital position and an area Offaly can be exposed.
It's certainly a questionable decision. I think Ross Brady is good enough to be there, but I do wonder about the Centre-back position for him. It is a vital position and not one that you should be dropping a rookie into, with limited experience of playing in that position. I think he has the brain, but it really requires a lot of experience to police that position. A number of times in the Clare game, Offaly were split right down the middle on the 40 as Clare ripped through them. This was for a number of reasons, such as the overlaps they were providing, but it's worrying nonetheless.
Long John wrote:Full forward line- Anton is doing well, full of confidence
No question about that, but he's not playing in the full-forward line, despite what number he may be wearing. I'd actually like to see him hanging around the full-forward line. With the right ball in, his pace is frightening. Strangley, he doesn't seem to be maturing into a scoring forward, but rather a runner and ball-carrier. Don't get me wrong, he's well able to score, as is any footballer with the talent he has, but he doesn't seem to be a goal-hanger (in the Brendan Lowry mode) and seems happy to play other roles in the team.
The Dog chases the Car....the Car stops....the Dog can't Drive!

black and red exile
All Star

Post by black and red exile »

A few people asking about PJ Ward? Talking to a Shamrocks man last night he told me PJ is sick at the moment.

Georgio1
All Star

Post by Georgio1 »

Correct, he covered every blade of grass, chasing the Clare Centre back! who cleared the ball and was confident to go for a gallop up the field. Shaper's problem was that he didnt get on the ball at all for the majority of the game. I would never question his work rate, and would not describe him as windy. I did make the point that in general he has had a good year, but I feel his was very very poor when we needed his experience. Which of the players did not play well during the first half of extra time?

Georgio1
All Star

Post by Georgio1 »

Hope Ward aint too sick, but in fairness, theres always something with that chap!

Man behind the wire normally sits on the fence, but he is harder on this team and management because of the situation with his old buddy from the '82 brigade.

Offaly2010
All Star

Post by Offaly2010 »

Faithful ravaged by virus(taken from today's Irish Sun)

Offaly's preparations for today's All-Ireland SFC Qualifier against Waterford have been hampered by a virus that has left many players on antibiotics.
Over the past five weeks around a dozen Offaly players have been struck down by infections.
Boss Tom Cribbin told SunSport: "Some of the changes to the team are on the back of training but some are also because a few of the lads have got doses. We had players on antibiotics over the last few weeks and chanced some of them,but they had no energy whatsoever so anybody on antibiotics wasn't considered this time."

Cribbin has made three changes for the O'Connor Park clash,5 p.m.