Tommy Murphy Cup

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Oskar
Intermediate
Club: Clara

Post by Oskar »

The Stasi have nothing on the Tommy Murphy Police. They're scary lads.

In fairness, Offaly are in no position to argue about ending up in the Tommy Cooper cup. They knew they had to finish in the top half of Division 2 but failed to do so. It's not as if that team shouldn't have been capable of avoiding the drop - it's not that long ago it was in a Leinster Final and playing in Division 1 of the League.

Yes it's humiliating to be be potentially playing in this joke of a tournament but I don't think we can argue that we are such a wonderful footballing county that we're too good for the competition. After all, we'll be truly slumming it next year in Division 4.

turk
All Star

Post by turk »

Oskar wrote:
Yes it's humiliating to be be potentially playing in this joke of a tournament but I don't think we can argue that we are such a wonderful footballing county that we're too good for the competition. After all, we'll be truly slumming it next year in Division 4.
I'm not saying we're too good for it, but we should just not play it anyways

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

It's not like Cork or Clare are too good to have suspensions applied to them, but they still don't run along with it because it doesn't suit them. I'm not saying I approve of this, but certainly if it doesn't suit Offaly to play in it, they shouldn't. We should only field a team on our terms.

You could really turn it on it's head and make it into a fundraiser. Advertise across the county - €50 raffle tickets. Twenty names are drawn out and the winners get to play for their county in the Tommy Murphy cup. I know I'd enter, just in case. It mightn't maximise our chances of winning the thing, but it could actually get a few people in to watch it as well.

Oskar
Intermediate

Post by Oskar »

Maybe lads from this board should line out for Offaly. At least there's a guarantee the opposition will turn up this time.

the bare biffo
All Star

Post by the bare biffo »

Oskar wrote:Maybe lads from this board should line out for Offaly. At least there's a guarantee the opposition will turn up this time.
Ouch !!!!

Yea and everyone must wear one of them red hats with the tassle on top, is it a fez ???
"The ball may pass, but the man, never."

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Oskar wrote:Maybe lads from this board should line out for Offaly. At least there's a guarantee the opposition will turn up this time.
In the Tommy Murphy Cup I'd say that would be far from guaranteed.

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Wicklow in the first round of the Tommy Cooper.
There's every change they'll beat us as Micko wants to win a trpohy to justify himself.

the bare biffo
All Star

Post by the bare biffo »

Wicklow in the first round of the Tommy Cooper.
There's every change they'll beat us as Micko wants to win a trpohy to justify himself.

I would say that is a strong possibility.

The Border Fox
Junior A

Post by The Border Fox »

If you think yesterdays performance was poor,wait until you see the game against Wicklow. With the exception of Karl Slatterty I seen no passion,heart or cutting edge against a mediocre Dublin team who were only good in patches because we were not close enough to them.
I'm very dissappointed. Last year we were beaten by a better team but as a whole there was good fight in that team against Westmeath,Kildare,Wexford and Dublin and I was proud enough. Yesterday there was none of this evident again with the exception of Karl so basically there is a whole year down the swanny with nothing really only a 'no show effort'. I'm dissappointed.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

I see the GAA have pulled the holiday to the winners. Another great boon for this burgeoning competition.

The sooner they just pull the plug on this flatlining rubbish the better.

TheManFromFerbane
All Star

Post by TheManFromFerbane »

Even for this years winner??
The night is darkest before the dawn

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Yup. Replaced with €15k to the winning county board to be used as pleased basically. Twould be some holiday you'd put together for 15k if you had to allow for 30 players plus partners, never mind hangers on.

The Magpie
All Star

Post by The Magpie »

I believe the winning County will have the choice of 15k or a scatter of Trabolgan vouchers.

http://www.trabolgan.com

And who was defending the Tommy Murphy Cup on this forum? :o
The Dog chases the Car....the Car stops....the Dog can't Drive!

Sydthebeat
All Star

Post by Sydthebeat »

could go towards paying some of Mickos fees.......

the bare biffo
All Star

Post by the bare biffo »

Its an insult to the memory of Tommy Murphy.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: