Offaly .v. Wexford - SFC Round 1 Qualifier - 4th/July/2009

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
TheManFromFerbane
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Re: Offaly .v. Wexford - SFC Round 1 Qualifier - 4th/July/2009

Post by TheManFromFerbane »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:I came and went by Kilkenny and New Ross the last day. Now I'm not going to Wexford this time (one seventy minute spell of blunt force trauma is enough for one day), but Kilkenny is by-passed, and so is New Ross, leaving really only Portlaoise (which ye have to negotiate anyway) and the right turn onto the main road in Durrow, as the major stumbling blocks. Once ye pass the New Ross road rindybout, it's open country.
This would be the way I know best. A couple of time saving tips, when you come into Durrow, take the left that brings you into the car park infront of the hairdressers/chipper/hotel, jump out of the car and hit the pedestrian crossing button. This will force the traffic to stop giving you a quicker chance to take that right turn in Durrow. (Use only when your stuck!! :lol: )

Then in Portlaoise take the left at the round-about at that round-about with the clock, follow the road up there and take the 2nd right (I think it's signposted) after the bridge, that'll bring you on a ring-road of sorts and avoid most of the hassle in Portlaoise.

Obviously I don't condone speeding but these might save you some time.
The night is darkest before the dawn

Colin H
Junior C

Post by Colin H »

wel lads i tink dis cud go either way! offaly are without whoever has been dropped nd if niall smith is gon den offaly wil struggle in midfield!!

but wexford are without matty forde nd adrian morrisey nd dey are 2 big players for wexford. wexford were shockin against kildare,not sayin we were much better but i thought dat wud be a close game!

wit nialler up front i tink offaly should edge a close game by 2 points! dat wud give us great confidence nd maybe draw a weeker team in de next round nd u never know!! :D

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Realistically I'd say anyone who goes to Wexford does so in the knowledge that unless it's a blowout down there, you simply won't be making O'Connor Park in time. As was pointed out by Model Hammer, the N80 is not a road with plenty of overtaking opportunities and whatever about the shopping, a Saturday in July with turf being drawn is likely to see more than a few slow moving vehicles on the route, something that Google maps simply won't allow for.

I appreciate what the county board tried to do in moving the game and God knows it's nice to know that they actually do think about the supporters once in a blue moon, but this is a case of almost preventing pregnancy. Almost is not really much use at the end of the day.

Regarding the game itself, I'd say rarely has there been a game where the personnel is less of an issue, with the exception of Forde of course. This game will be won by whichever side is most interested in resurrecting their season, and right now I'd say neither county is too worried about it. I'd imagine that club footballers will be nearly as worried about the result, since we could end up in a situation in Offaly where a defeat means that the clubs will be off and running the following weekend.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

lovelyhurling
County player
Club: de field

Post by lovelyhurling »

Lone Shark wrote: I'd imagine that club footballers will be nearly as worried about the result, since we could end up in a situation in Offaly where a defeat means that the clubs will be off and running the following weekend.
Actually heard that going around the last few weeks. Lads who want to go to oxegen are praying for an offaly win as clubs are out that weekend if they lose.
pull hard on your man, he's no relation

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

What I can't understand is why there is such uncertainty. Once again, we seem to be dealing with the standard Offaly county board situation - dealing with things as they come up, but not a second sooner. God forbid the county board come out and declare definitively that yes, if Wexford win on Saturday, there will be club championship football the following weekend.

It's the uncertainty that's the killer - for example Offaly hurlers will be playing on the 18th of July, probably in a relegation playoff but hopefully in a phase three qualifier. Does this mean that players like Shane Dooley, Derek Molloy, Michael Verney, Stephen Wynne and Daniel Currams (for example) will be supposed to play county hurling, club football and county hurling again on consecutive weeks? Will these clubs be excused and others be expected to take part? What then will happen to the second string teams of Tullamore and Shamrocks? We've known about this situation for months, so it's not good enough to still have no plan.

Last year there was senior championship games in the first round on Friday night - (four of them all at the one time, but that's another issue) - are clubs going to be expected to play championship football at four days notice? What kind of training should they be doing this week?

At least if there was an official word out now as to what to expect if Offaly win or lose on Saturday, clubs could be preparing on that basis. Instead club managers and players are expected to plan their lives around some chinese whispers.

black and red exile
All Star

Post by black and red exile »

Just to be curious, how many posters on this site will take in the two games on Saturday ? I get the impression somehow that very few will bother to make the effort. When you hear of excuses of times and travel and being caught behind traffic and so on Iv'e a feeling there will be a tiny percentage making the effort to support the 2 teams at the weekend.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Man down here anyway, club training on Saturday afternoon. I probably would have gone to Wexford, but only on the basis that I wouldn't have made it back for the hurling, it would have been a bonus to be in O'Connor Park for 7:20.

BUFFALO
County player

Post by BUFFALO »

black and red exile wrote:Just to be curious, how many posters on this site will take in the two games on Saturday ? I get the impression somehow that very few will bother to make the effort. When you hear of excuses of times and travel and being caught behind traffic and so on Iv'e a feeling there will be a tiny percentage making the effort to support the 2 teams at the weekend.
I echo your query.
Cant see that many travelling,of which I'll be one.
As has been mentioned here previously,those of us who went to Semple last year were blessed.
Thereafter I promised myself that I'd give preference to the hurlers if a clash ever arose again.
If there's 100 of the Faithful following in attendance I'd be surprised.

Treasurer
All Star

Post by Treasurer »

I'm 90% sure I'm not going to attempt it now. Hurling is my priority - if the games were the other way round I'd go for it :(

lovelyhurling
County player
Club: de field

Post by lovelyhurling »

Wont be going to either myself as heading on hols saturday. But if it came down to it, Defo be at just the hurling.
pull hard on your man, he's no relation

Johnno81
County player

Post by Johnno81 »

Headin for the football... Will see how that goes before deciding whether to head for Tull for the hurling!!!!

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Shure when club teams organise training for the same time as the match . . .
black and red exile wrote:Just to be curious, how many posters on this site will take in the two games on Saturday ? I get the impression somehow that very few will bother to make the effort. When you hear of excuses of times and travel and being caught behind traffic and so on Iv'e a feeling there will be a tiny percentage making the effort to support the 2 teams at the weekend.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.