Offaly vs. Wexford match reaction

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
black and red exile
All Star

Re: Offaly vs. Wexford match reaction

Post by black and red exile »

Did anybody notice Banville constantly throwing the ball on Saturday night. I counted 3 times in the first half alone this happening and if we could spot it from the terrace behing the goal why on earth couldn't the referee have spotted it 10 to 15 yards away. We should have had a couple of frees for this which would surely have earned us a couple of points, I know there is no point in whining about this now but more and more players are getting away with this at the moment and it's about time refs got strict on this as soon as possible.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Just looked at the match for the first time on Youtube.

Observations from afar:

1. Oakley was taken out and the man could very well have been put off. Yellow is fine for a shoulder charge, but the forearm was up. Agree we needed to answer that quickly and it did not happen. Surely anything goes at that point and yellow would be the extent of it.

2. Banville was too much for Kenny this day, but he would have been a handful for anyone. Crafty how he made space for himself on both goals, but especially on the second one. Great 'fielding' on that one, seriously.

3. Agree balls hit into the half forwards looked like they were on a bungee cord. we need of a silverback or 2 in there and fast.

4. Shooting was atrocious. 2 penalties, but lots of scoreable wides. I'm sure it was tough to watch, but in fairness I'm sure it was just as hard for the players thenselves and management to see that too.

5. Not qualified to comment on what changes should have been made.

6. If the team was not 'up for it' that would be unforgivable. Is it possible they were nervous or something for some reason?

The thing that jumps out the most is the poor shooting while under the slightest of, or no pressure. It may have taken some of the spring out of the step. Converting on one of the penalties would have been a great help. I'd expect other teams will be happy to give us penalties if they have a look at this match. Practicing penalties has to be on the agenda.

I don't think hunger, desire or pride in the jersey cures shooting woes. It has to be down to practice and preparation at some level.

This was a winnable match against a weakened team, but this particular chance has been missed.

Many thanks to the players for pushing hard to the end. Amazingly there was a chance for us until the goal. I'm sure they are disappointed in what was not their best day, but hopefully we regroup and make someone sorry to see us in the qualifiers.

The summer is not over yet.
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Treasurer
All Star

Post by Treasurer »

Kevin wrote:Just looked at the match for the first time on Youtube.
2. Banville was too much for Kenny this day, but he would have been a handful for anyone. Crafty how he made space for himself on both goals, but especially on the second one.
In fairness to Kenny, Wexford were playing perfect ball into Banville, as Kevin says he would have been a handful for anyone.

Georgio1
All Star

Post by Georgio1 »

Fair play Kevin, but tis hard to be as charitable when you travel the whole way to Wexford. Might not feel as bad if I was looking at it on You tube a few days after! But looking back, there were things that were bad, were compounded by poor delivery to the forwards. We had men storming out of the backs and lorrying the ball instead of a measured delivery 30yds to a free man.
May sort out someone to practice penalties, but what the betting we dont get another on for 5 years???

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Georgio1 wrote:Fair play Kevin, but tis hard to be as charitable when you travel the whole way to Wexford. Might not feel as bad if I was looking at it on You tube a few days after! But looking back, there were things that were bad, were compounded by poor delivery to the forwards. We had men storming out of the backs and lorrying the ball instead of a measured delivery 30yds to a free man.
May sort out someone to practice penalties, but what the betting we dont get another on for 5 years???
Of course you are right and it is easy for me to weigh in after the fact having very little 'skin in the game'.

I think your points about delivery, etc. are key and could be generalized in most areas of the field. It just seemed like our players lacked composure for some odd reason. In many cases there were options all over the place, but they were not seen from the field where it matters. In the heat of battle this can happen to anyone, but something just didn't seem right at all. What do I know, but if there was some sort of nervousness floating around I hope that gets dealt with so we can tear into whoever in the qualifiers with reckless abandon and put 'them' on 'their' heels.

On the penalties, getting them is a chance thing for sure and if the guys are practicing them already I'll be quiet.
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.