OFFALY V DOWN.

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Kemo Sabe
All Star

Re: OFFALY V DOWN.

Post by Kemo Sabe »

very very poor .didnt think their performance against tipp could get any worse but lastnite really was shocking .we started ok but then completly lost our way .i know down are an ok team but we made them look like very good side which they certainly are not .its hard to see us improving enough to have a good championship so division 3 status is a must .
great history hoping for a better future

black and red exile
All Star

Post by black and red exile »

Men against boys. Down's support play, pace, speed of ball movement and vision were on a different planet to ourselves. The second half was embarrassing, the home team's movement off the ball was a joy to behold and not for the first time this year our opponents fitness levels were so far ahead of our own that you would wonder how in the name of god we are going to get up to championship pace in the coming weeks. Another very irritating problem we have is how easy we give away possession in games, countless times last night we got turned over with possession which was mainly due to being hit by more physical guys which Down had a major advantage over us last night, we have too many small players who are coming second in the physical exchanges.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Fair play to any of the boys that made the trip up to Down. Hoping to get a match report from one of you.......because if what I've read in the papers is true then we were terrible again. It appears we have not closeed the gap one bit between ourselves and Down in the last 8-9 months. Our league consistency is appalling this year even for us....lets look closer.

Away to Rosscommon- Terrible display- Loss
Home to Longford- Bit of spirit shown- Draw
Home to Louth- Decent display- Win
Away to Tipp- Disgraceful- Loss
Home to Cavan- Good display- Win
Away to Down- Awful again- Loss
Home to Limerick- ???????????- ??????

I suppose the one good thing is that the Limerick game is in Tullamore because we appear to be doing a lot better at home. The strange thing is that all the games we lost this year (O'Byrne Cup/Shield included) have not been close. We have been well beaten in all our defeats, if we were losing tight games well that would be one thing but these 8-10 pt defeats are a huge concern as is our form on the road. Survival is a must in Div 3 and after that I'd be really shocked if we beat Kildare........our only hope is that they are peaking too early and we might still have the ability to improve with hard training in the next 2 months but I doubt it.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

The common trend here is that when Offaly lose a game, they lose it badly.
The average losing margin is nearly 10 points.
On paper alone this points to a tendency in players to go through the motions when the game probably can't be won.

This sort of attitude can come back and bite you on the arse though!
The table doesn't lie. Offaly's points difference of -21 compared to Louth who are below us with +8 means that Offaly must finish a point ahead of the wee county on the table to edge them out.

offalycork
Junior B

Post by offalycork »

hi guys

after travelling up from cork i went in hope that offaly would play well. after much analysis i tried to find something positive to say
so hear goes.
only for alan mulhall the score would have been worse, he made some great safes and caught a high ball that came into him
in the first half under pressure when many top goelies would have dropped it. he desevres the no.1 spot.

Brian darby played well enough in the corner

joe, shane ger matthew got roasted

ciaran and karol tried extremely hard and wore there heart on there sleeve as always.

niall smith was lost in the half forward line when he went middle field caught some great balls. thats his position and he should start
every game there a future star in the making.

conor needs time but has potential.

i think john reynolds played ok and tried very hard but lacks the ability to kick the ball over the bar

i'm still waiting for thomas and niall to click. the balls that was kicked into them from out the field was disgraceful.
niall needs to be in nearer the goals so he can turn and shoot, not at the corner flag surround by backs.

the subs made no impact on the game but i was personally glad to see neville come on and also glad to see paul mcconway make an appearance
at least he looked for the ball when he came on.

Overall i think the score flattered down a bit. when we came within two points of down in the second half and i believe we should have had a penalty
when reynolds was footed blocked and about to score. down was rattled at this time. they then went up the field an got a lucky goal. things like that changes matches. our heads dropped and down drove on. thats a problem with offaly footballers when they concede a goal they do not have the ability to go back up the field and put a few points back on the board.

after seen offaly play roscommon i thought we were heading for division 4, they have improved a lot since then and i think realistically we would all settle for offaly to be in division 3 next year and build from there. the match against limerick is now a real championship match and our best 15 should start the game.