Hurling Team Named

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Hurler in the ditch
Junior C

Post by Hurler in the ditch »

Sorry lads long time reader here was never arsed joining as I’m very busy but I can't help but feel Offalys future has made some excellent points here, his prognosis seems well researched and thorough.

One point with regard to D Haden who it seems has no faith in the current setup, I would ask does Offalys future know Hayden himself? If the Haden situation is confirmed then surely if the respect was there for the manager we wouldn’t be hearing these kind of noises?

It looks to me to be school bully time here whenever anyone disagrees with LS or board na mona you all join in and ridicule the poster.

Come on now lads this site is getting seriously clicky, it shouldn't be this hard for a objective observer to contribute we all care about the county.

NO doubt I will be banished to the obscurity of the hogan stand forum for my slanted opinion but I guess I can live with that.

Offalys Future
All Star

Post by Offalys Future »

i am sending this message to all the guys that have raised topics and seem very interested in the future of offaly hurling.

would you be interested in meeting up before or after the games on sunday and maybe talking about things?

i have a summary done on things but i feel unless i meet guys and talk with them they will never understand.

Nobody has to disclose their identity but we can meet and chat before the games on sunday or after, please email if you would be interested?

I will not post any more from now until sunday

Kevin
All Star

Hurler in the ditch

Post by Kevin »

I think you jump to conclusion when saying that there is a school bully mentality. You are free to go back to Hoganstand, but I assure you that I'd prefer that you stick around and prove yourself wrong by weighing in with your perspective.

Offaly's Future, I'm 'permanently out of town', but would like to take a raincheck provided you stick around. I'll be over to get behind the shark one of these days.

turk
All Star

Post by turk »

Hurler in the ditch wrote:Sorry lads long time reader here was never arsed joining as I’m very busy but I can't help but feel Offalys future has made some excellent points here, his prognosis seems well researched and thorough.

One point with regard to D Haden who it seems has no faith in the current setup, I would ask does Offalys future know Hayden himself? If the Haden situation is confirmed then surely if the respect was there for the manager we wouldn’t be hearing these kind of noises?

It looks to me to be school bully time here whenever anyone disagrees with LS or board na mona you all join in and ridicule the poster.

Come on now lads this site is getting seriously clicky, it shouldn't be this hard for a objective observer to contribute we all care about the county.

NO doubt I will be banished to the obscurity of the hogan stand forum for my slanted opinion but I guess I can live with that.
I also think Offaly's future has made some great points here and I strongly admire his passion and aspirations. Myself I will be assessing the situation after the weekend and so far I have taken on board points from both camps.

I reject the notion however that there are clicks or bullies in operation here. There's many a thread if you read back where you can see that LS and BnM Man have been humbled. But these guys are also passionate.

Please stick about for the debates here. I've been on many forums over the years but the quality of debates here are second to none .

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Hurler in the ditch wrote:It looks to me to be school bully time here whenever anyone disagrees with LS or board na mona you all join in and ridicule the poster.
I certainly don't set out to ridicule anyone.
If someone makes a point which is fairly controversial, I often look for them to back it up.
While I'd love to believe there is great potential in certain hurlers waiting to be unlocked, experience tells me it's unlikely to happen.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

I can assure you it's nothing at all to do with bullying or anything like that. There are a lot of people on this site that are fairly emotional about Offaly GAA, and that's the way to have it. It goes without saying that in such cases there will be plenty of people who will run into each other so to speak, since different people have different ideas. Doesn't mean they're not all welcome.....

Neither is it the case of the opinion of the longer-standing members always stands firm. To pick the obvious example from recently, I'm a firm believer that in O'Connor Park in Tullamore we should have terraced over the whole grass bank - I believe we should have just done the two ends and left the main terrace as it was. Some excellent counterpoints were raised and the majority opinion was that terracing was the way to go. Such is the way of things, and so I hope it'll always be.

Offaly's Future and Hurler on the Ditch, I would say to you what I would say to all posters and lurkers on this site. The Shark and Shark flag will be at the game, and very visible, and the more people we get around us the happier we'll be. All welcome, and I've no doubt there will be plenty of discussion then.

The Magpie
All Star

Post by The Magpie »

My tuppence worth (is that how you spell it?)

Offalys Future has made some very good points since he joined up. Whatsmore, he seems to be able to back a lot of it up - his posts certainly educate me in the fine detail of hurling in this county.
Having said that, if I was the Shark, I'd be offering short odds on OF being a 'glass half-empty man', but then, I don't suppose there is too much to be happy about at the moment in Offaly hurling circles.

With respect to the regular crew that post here, I've never found them ganging up or being clicky and I was new to this forum once too. LS loves an argument, ('dog-with-a-bone' springs to mind from one poster) but sure don't we all !

As for Sunday, I won't be joining yee under the Shark. Some of us have to maintain our standards :lol:
The Dog chases the Car....the Car stops....the Dog can't Drive!

Rynaghs Biffo
All Star

Post by Rynaghs Biffo »

Offalys Future has made some valid points, and more importantly, they are listened to!! The whole notion of "bullying" is a big load of BS!! Everyone on this forum has great respect for all its posters, due to the standard of debate. Lone Shark and Bord na Mona Man are simply standing by their argument and reinforcing it, not trying to hold others back.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

In case anyone thinks Kilkenny is a hurling utopia because of the perfect nature of its underage coaching, remember Brian Carroll attended St. Kieran's College for five years and still couldn't hurl off his right when he left.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Offalys Future wrote:Nobody has to disclose their identity but we can meet and chat before the games on sunday or after, please email if you would be interested?

I will not post any more from now until sunday
Are we expected to wear masks or what?

the bare biffo
All Star

Post by the bare biffo »

Any notion of bullying is nonsense. OF has made his points very well but that doesn't mean people have to agree, in fact it would be disappointing if they did. Stick it out and prove your theories.
"The ball may pass, but the man, never."

flairgun
Junior A

Post by flairgun »

I hope OF doesn't feel as though he's been ganged up on, but that can be an unfortunate impression in this kind of setting. Web Forums lack the subtleties of conversation that can be imparted over a pint. While he certainly comes across a little pessimistic, he may be closer to the mark than I think we'd all like to believe.
As an emigrant watching from afar, I'd just like to say that I welcome this level of conversation and I hope to see it continue.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

kinnittyman wrote:Sorry LS im a stand man through and through. My 26 year old bones couldnt possibly be expected to stand for 4 hours!!!
The Magpie wrote:As for Sunday, I won't be joining yee under the Shark. Some of us have to maintain our standards :lol:
Can I just say that in all this discussion about the team, this lack of commitment from the supporters has gone un-noticed??? Lads, I don't know how we're going to get back amongst the most fiercely supported team in Ireland with these kind of attitudes...... and ye had such great potential as minors! :wink:

Incidentally, I'm going to let the 26 year old thing slide. Suffice it to say that if Uibhfhaili.com was fielding a team, a 26 year old like yourself would be lined out at midfield because a yungfella like you would be needed where you could do all the hard running!!! Us ould lads are destroyed from too many four hour stints standing on concrete terraces.... :D

Offalys Future
All Star

Post by Offalys Future »

good to get all the comments, lads fair play.
maybe i do come across negative on this forum, but i am just telling it the way it is.
there is nothing i would like more on sunday than to see offaly beat kilkenny.
but the work has to be done at underage, in schools, academys etc for this to be achieved.

just in relation to this comment
In case anyone thinks Kilkenny is a hurling utopia because of the perfect nature of its underage coaching, remember Brian Carroll attended St. Kieran's College for five years and still couldn't hurl off his right when he left.
what i said earlier on this topic was that the likes of t.walsh, go to st.kierans, academys, qualified coaches training them constantly.
And Brian carroll can hurl off he right as i remember two years ago against cork in birr he scored a point off his right.
The point i was making is that it isnt any one thing that brings success, its not that easy, its all the work that is done from u10 up.

One last note, i certainly dont think i am been ganged up on.
This is a forum where anybody can say what they want, some lads are obviously going to try and stirr it with a few comments.
i have no interest in that, i just want to let as many people as possible know exactly whats going on at present in our county in reagards to hurling setup.

kinnittyman
All Star

Post by kinnittyman »

Lone Shark wrote:
kinnittyman wrote:Sorry LS im a stand man through and through. My 26 year old bones couldnt possibly be expected to stand for 4 hours!!!
The Magpie wrote:As for Sunday, I won't be joining yee under the Shark. Some of us have to maintain our standards :lol:
Can I just say that in all this discussion about the team, this lack of commitment from the supporters has gone un-noticed??? Lads, I don't know how we're going to get back amongst the most fiercely supported team in Ireland with these kind of attitudes...... and ye had such great potential as minors! :wink:

Incidentally, I'm going to let the 26 year old thing slide. Suffice it to say that if Uibhfhaili.com was fielding a team, a 26 year old like yourself would be lined out at midfield because a yungfella like you would be needed where you could do all the hard running!!! Us ould lads are destroyed from too many four hour stints standing on concrete terraces.... :D
Ya throw me in there midfield LS, no hassles. Havent hurled a competitive game in 2years so im sure the touch wouldnt be great but il do the diggy cordial on it and run around everywhere, marking no-one and hurl in practiucally every position on the field other than centre field.

Less than 48 hours to go lads im getting seriously geared up for it.
It shames me to say it but the last Leinster hurling c'ship game i was at was that Semi final in croker 2 years ago. Last year couldnt make the Laois game cos of exams and the wexford game cos wasnt allowed leave Dingle during my gaelteacht stint and missed the Laois game again this year due to exams. I feel ive offset that though by attending both the cork and waterford games in the league this year.
I did get to all the football c'ship matches last year though just in case anyone thinks i only go when it suits. Is there anyone here meeting for a scoop in any of the pubs in the square on sunday around half 12?