Offaly vs Laois

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Oskar
Intermediate
Club: Clara

Offaly vs Laois

Post by Oskar »

Good result for Offaly but Brian Cody isn't going to be quaking in his slippers. The opposition was poor and Offaly never looked in any danger of losing the match.

PS Someone should tell the Laois goalie that his habit of signalling that the ball's gone wide every time someone shoots for a point is fooling no-one.
Last edited by Oskar on Mon May 28, 2007 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Post by Bord na Mona man »

That looks like Hector on the roof!

Oskar
Intermediate

Post by Oskar »

It is. They were filming an episode of Hanging with Hector. That's Brian Cody beside the annoying ginger-haired one up on the roof. He didn't want to pay the €20 admission charge.

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Oskar wrote:It is. They were filming an episode of Hanging with Hector. That's Brian Cody beside the annoying ginger-haired one up on the roof. He didn't want to pay the €20 admission charge.
We needed a Mexican wave to sweep around the ground to remove the pair of them from the roof!

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Very good win for the Faithful today. Laois matched Offaly for a lot of the first half. However they hit a load of wides and missed a couple of clear goal chances. Breeder looked rusty in goals in the first half and was lucky not to be punished. Kilkenny won't be as charitable, so hopefully his touch will be better in two weeks.

The Hanniffy's fielded and scored well in the forwards. Derek Molloy put in a lot of work all day, but his shooting was a bit off target. Joe Bergin operated in the corner for a lot of the game. Darren Rooney stayed on him the whole day. Bergin didn't get much ball in his direction, though he hit a super point in the first half facing away from goal and out on the touchline.

Brian Carroll took some good scores, but positioning him at full forward has a lot of drawbacks. Damien Murray was deadly accurate from frees. As POTH highlighted, the indiscipline of the Laois backs required an accurate marksman to punish it. In open played he missed a couple of shots, but took his goal nicely.

On the half back line, Kevin Brady made some great high catches and clearances.
David Kenny battled well, though at times struggled to clear when under pressure. Ger Oakley gave his usual 100%, fumbled and swiped at a couple but battled very well and got a great reception from the crowd when he came off.

The full back line were effective enough for the occasion, though I thought too many frees were conceded. At times the back line took a lot of work to eventually clear the ball. I'd be a little concerned that Kilkenny will punish defenders who get blocked down or give a bad handpass.

Now it's up to Offaly to go and have a right lash at Kilkenny. I'd love to see our lads burst onto Portlaoise and stuck it right up to the hoors. It's time to be bullish and bring Kilkenny down a peg or two! Lets strip away this silly mysticism we have unfortunately built up around them. Give it a right bloody lash. They have no respect for us and love to kick us when we’re down. It’s time to fight back.
:twisted:

Offalys Future
All Star

Post by Offalys Future »

Good win today well done lads.

I have to say Laois were very very poor. But thats not Offalys fault. Really hard to take much from the game

Positive
Good Free Taking By Murray
Midfield Worked Hard
Good Scoring

Negative
Goal Keeper Very Dodgy
Backs Fouled Alot when put under pressure.

Aim was to win and get the result today. Job Done move on to next challenge.

Kilkenny in Portlaoise will be a different prospect but thats for another day.

Muck Savage
All Star

Post by Muck Savage »

Well done lads, good result.
I really have more faith in this team than I have for a few years, there's a bit more heart in them. That's easy to say after the win today but if you look at the League results and now one championship they have only played one bad game I could say, Limerick. Cut the league up and they should/could have won against Wexford, that would have meant a league semi final spot sothen we'd have a much higher mood. Kilkenny will be a though game no doubt, but I think we'll get a lot closer than people think and a lot closer than the last few years.
I like the fact that you have a bunch of lads with some team spirit and won't lie down. The first 10 mins against Kilkenny will be very important, going in hard for every ball 100% is very important, not standing back letting them think what to do just because their AI champs. Lets get behind the team and get more positive about the whole thing, I'd seriously put us ahead of Clare, Limerick and Wexford before the year started and I'd stick to that right now. Each of those counties would be given a chance against KK. This is not just a few pints or the win today talking.

arbarg
County player

well done lads

Post by arbarg »

jeez!
I was a bit surprised at d result. But then again Laois were terrible.
Hopefully we can raise the bar a little in two weeks for d cats.
anyway job well done for now.
Allez Les Faithful

PS: Apologies for d no show from the allez les faithful flag yesterday, Were hoping to have it back in action for the next day

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Bord na Mona man wrote:That looks like Hector on the roof!
It's Cathal Horan!

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Born na Mona Man has given a good summing up of the day’s proceedings in Tullamore. I don’t have very much to add. Some additional thoughts: -

Offaly’s striking was very poor at times. It’s hard to know why, and it’s hard to see it improve in two weeks. The full forward line were behind their man the whole time, and the Laois full back trio were out in front to the low ball the whole time. The full back line looked unsure at times, especially under the dropping ball.

Laois were a big disappointment. They look to have gone back a lot. Now that may be the result of a spring hurling in division 2, in which case Offaly will be in that boat this time next year. If so, Offaly could be vulnerable to, say, Dublin if drawn together at this stage next year. All Laois seemed to offer was holding and dragging the man, and digging with the hurl, especially under the dropping ball. The young Laois fellas at the front of the stand chanting “pressure, pressure” when Damien Murray was lining up a free made a bigger impact on the game than some Laois hurlers.

There was a strong cross-wind coming from the north, yet it didn’t seem to affect the shooting. Even the long range shots on goal never went off target in the wind, and the one free Damien Murray sent wide was from a narrow angle. In fact, the shooting from the two Hanniffys and Joe Bergin was superb.

For the benefit of Laois readers who may not be aware, Galway Bay FM last night announced their qualifier fixtures. Galway hurl Laois in Portlaoise first (June 30th) then Clare in Ennis (July 7th) and are at home to Antrim on 14th July. In other words, Laois have Galway (h), Antrim and Clare in that order.

O’Connor Park will be a fine stadium when it’s completed. I notice the front wall of the new terrace is considerably further back than the existing perimeter fence. The digger was situated in between the two. Looks like the pitch will be a good few yards wider than at present.

Of course, the intensity of yesterday’s match will be nowhere near that which Kilkenny will bring to O’Moore Park in a fortnight’s time. We need the lads to recapture the spirit that they had for the Clare game two years ago. Give it a lash, lads!

black and red exile
All Star

Post by black and red exile »

That little guy on the roof looks very like LS.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

black and red exile wrote:That little guy .....

Cheers. Doing my rep wonders there..... :(

black and red exile
All Star

Post by black and red exile »

Bord na Mona man is spot on. We have to show no fear against Kilkenny. The all Ireland champions are made out in some quarters to be superhuman in which Waterford proved they certainly are not. The management team must for the next 2 weeks get inside the players heads and have them believeing that they can compete with the cats and to make sure that if we do fall to them again, that they know they will have an almighty fight on their hands.

BUFFALO
County player

Post by BUFFALO »

Belief.We used to exude buckets of the stuff,often completely defying the odds against the traditional 'big boys' in both codes.
It is absolutely imperative that we at least attempt to take on KK with some conviction and determination,none of this rolling over to take a hammering lark.
If the staff are capable,then have to bend over backwards to instill belief in this team,because I feel that we can certainly frighten KK and maybe even upset the odds on a somewhat smaller and tighter pitch than if we faced them in Croker.
In sum,if we produce a display of defiance,self-belief,courage determination,there is a half-chance of creating the shock of the summer.In essence KK detest when the opposition adopt a 'no fear' in 'your face' attitude,and this approach I feel may provide a pedestal for challenging The Pussies.
Allez Les Faithful.

arbarg
County player

allez

Post by arbarg »

dead right buffalo, lets get stuck into d cats,