Weekends hurling

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
redser
County player

Weekends hurling

Post by redser »

Just want to hear what the overall performances of county players was like at the weekend? Also what was the standard of refereeing like?

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Are there any players who might warrant a call up/recall to the county panel?

Loughers
All Star

Panel

Post by Loughers »

Breeder, Diggy and Sean Ryan called into the Offaly panel.
Esto Fidelis

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

I saw four of the games, so taking a quick rundown.....

Rynaghs vs Shamrocks

Hernon was decent, Cathal Horan was quiet and ended up wth a finger injury, while Derek Molloy dug in well - once again commendable attitude. In terms of others, Declan Tanner was competitive at midfield, albeit giving away a goal due to a bonehead decision to try and disturb Molloy as he was taking a free. Perhaps not county standard, but decent all the same. I wouldn't go calling him up now, But Brian Kearney of Shamrocks was very good, particularly in the air. Either caught the ball cleanly or broke it well every time. I was impressed anyway.

Shinrone vs Clareen

Diggy looked like he was out to impress, but even though he wasted a few balls with speculative shots, he did cover acres of ground and was Shinrone's best player. Put it another way, if you knew he was going to work as hard as that in an Offaly jersey, you'd pick him every time. Joe Bergin had a 'mare with the frees, but mainly his poor performance was Clareen's fault for leaving him at full forward with no delivery. Bevans very quiet, but kudos to him for getting the key score at the end. Derek Morkan and Eanna Murphy both looked like they have the makings of good hurlers, but not ready right now.

Birr vs Kinnitty

McRedmond at corner back and Kealey at full forward - while these lads might have the shape of county players by times, it's not in these positions. James Rigney was Kinnitty's best man, while nearly everyone playing for Birr looked good. I'm surprised Ryan got the nod all the same - he was fairly quiet. Didi Dwane, Breeder and Neil Rodgers were the pick of the non county lads. Breeder did handle everything pretty well in fairness to him.

Lusmagh vs Belmont

Alan Egan got no ball and David Kenny was way out of position at full back, so to judge either of them too harshly would be very unfair. John Egan is available to them again this year and he battled hard at centre back, but I'd still prefer him further back the field. Come 2008 when he has a year of club hurling behind him and I'd consider him. Strangely enough you couldn't pick county players out of Lusmagh as easily, despite the fact that they were the much better team. David Moran doesn't move quickly but he's still a class act, Gary Kelly was spot on with the frees but doesn't contribute a lot from general play, and Paul Bermingham was a great outlet for high ball, but his failure to register a flag might be a concern too.

Can't comment on the other two games obviously enough.

black and red exile
All Star

Post by black and red exile »

in the kk and skenagh game it was hard to judge the winners massive score of 4.20 against such feeble opposition. Ciaran Slevin obviously stood out with his total of 2.9 but against better quality sides to come he wont get the same time and space again. Danny Currams, all though still a bit young for the senior panel, scored 1.2 but just strolled through the second half at a pedestrian pace. For Skenagh there was only one player and of course that was Brendan Murphy trying to be everywhere at once, trying to plug gaps all over the place.
in the second game, all the county players on the Coolderry side performed as you would expect at this level with the exception of Brian Carroll who just did not look interested at all. Barry Teehan was superb at midfield. Shane O'Connor only had one save of note to make when he got down very fast to a Shane Dooley pile driver near the end of the first half and turned it around the post, Damien Murray did nothing to warrenty his call up back to the panel, Joe and Kevin Brady were as reliable as ever in the half back line but I would still be suprised if Joe was to a get a reprieve at this late stage. For the blues, its a pity that Nigel Mannion is not ten years younger. The game seemed to pass Shane Dooley by,although he did get on the ball more in the second half. His problem was he had not got enough quality support to help him when Tullamore enjoyed a ten minute period of dominance midway through the second half.

redser
County player

Post by redser »

Nigel Mannion is only 25 or 26 years old. Should he get a call in? Whys it a pity hes not 10 years younger. That makes no sense.

Loneshark your views on the standard of refereeing over the weekend? Up to scratch?

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

I'd estimate Mannion to be about 27. He did get a run at midfield under Mike Mac 3 or 4 years ago.
Back then, getting picked at midfield during the league often meant you were on the verge of being cut from the panel though.

green&white
Senior

Post by green&white »

Was at both double headers in rath and banagher.. thought most county hurlers were subdued with interestingly imo the exception of Cathal Parlon...
Yes some lads hurled fine i.e. Rory & Gary, K Brady, B Teehan,but still i thought there was alot more in the tank for all of them!
Brian Carroll to me looked like he was trying too hard.. wouldn't say not interested!! (Wouldn't be his nature, one of the most committed hurlers we have and puts himself under immense pressure!)
Diggy, Breeder, C Slevin and S Ryan got called up.. while C Mahon and K Bermingham are on the training panel for now!
Seen their training in KK last night and it was a big jump from b4 the break for the club matches! Attitude looked great, committment was 100% and the new lads fitted in well, particularly Mahon!
Hopefully this will continue... Keep the faith!

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

Nigel Mannion is 26 years old.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

redser wrote:Nigel Mannion is only 25 or 26 years old. Should he get a call in? Whys it a pity hes not 10 years younger. That makes no sense.

Loneshark your views on the standard of refereeing over the weekend? Up to scratch?
I'd have no great qualms with any of the referees to be honest - it was generally fairly good. Tony Carroll was the pick of the bunch as you would expect, (in the absence of Brian Gavin at least) and Noel Flynn was very good too. The two lads were also quick on the scene for the two red cards that had to be given out, no messing with yellows or anything either - so fair play to both. Catch Buckley whistled absolutely everything between Lusmagh and Belmont but he whistled everything for both sides, plus a few inexplicable frees either way. On the other hand it didn't affect the result and any game where the teams have met for three years in a row can always have a bit of heat in it and sitting on the two teams could have been a good call.

Padraig Freeman was a little bit inconsistent as well, and nobody had any clue what the equalising free was for at the end, so in that respect he was probably the most disappointing of the lot. I still wouldn't go so far as to say he was "bad" though. Middling maybe.

Overall quite good though.

black and red exile
All Star

Post by black and red exile »

I honestly thought Nigel Mannion was around the 30 mark, and I made it my business to ask a Tullamore club man on Sunday night how old he was, in which I was informed he was in his early thirties[ Hence the reason why I said I wish he was 10 years younger]OK. SMART ARSE REDSER.

Offalys Future
All Star

Post by Offalys Future »

green&white wrote:Was at both double headers in rath and banagher.. thought most county hurlers were subdued with interestingly imo the exception of Cathal Parlon...
Yes some lads hurled fine i.e. Rory & Gary, K Brady, B Teehan,but still i thought there was alot more in the tank for all of them!
Brian Carroll to me looked like he was trying too hard.. wouldn't say not interested!! (Wouldn't be his nature, one of the most committed hurlers we have and puts himself under immense pressure!)
Diggy, Breeder, C Slevin and S Ryan got called up.. while C Mahon and K Bermingham are on the training panel for now!
Seen their training in KK last night and it was a big jump from b4 the break for the club matches! Attitude looked great, committment was 100% and the new lads fitted in well, particularly Mahon!
do you know where and what time the hurlers are training over the weekend?

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Offalys Future wrote:
green&white wrote:Was at both double headers in rath and banagher.. thought most county hurlers were subdued with interestingly imo the exception of Cathal Parlon...
FFS, don't answer that. At least not on this board at any rate.
We'll have half of Laois turning up!
Anyway, you've no business there, and neither do any of the rest of us.

green&white
Senior

Post by green&white »

Qusetion, Plain of the Herbs??
Why should we not go to Offaly's trainin?????
Would it not make sense 2go and give our support to the lads??!!

Offalys Future
All Star

Post by Offalys Future »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:
Offalys Future wrote:
green&white wrote:
FFS, don't answer that. At least not on this board at any rate.
We'll have half of Laois turning up!
Anyway, you've no business there, and neither do any of the rest of us.
are you for real? half of laois turning up?! from what i say last weekend between rath and banagher there was not more than 500 people at both games, i think they need all the support they can get.
as for laois, they are playing Limerick saturday night and the last thing they will be worrying about is offaly's training session.

I have been to mcintyres training sessions before and i can tell you that you will learn very little from it and as an offaly supporter it is as much my business to be there and support the team than anybody else.

Thats the problem in Offaly at present.

Now does anybody actually know where and when they are training the weekend?