Championship draws on tonight... Tuesday 6th Feb 2007

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Heshs Umpire
County player

St Senchals

Post by Heshs Umpire »

I would guess this is Killeigh but sure I'm a Laoisman, what would I know?!!

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Now that you mention it, Killeigh appears to have morphed into St. Senchal's all of a sudden. Just to confuse people, I'm guessing ....

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

The Magpie wrote:Group 2 will not be as easy for Clara as some think. As LS already stated, Clara-Ferbane games are generally very tight affairs. The local derby with Tubber will almost certainly provide drama and no lack of intensity. Thats not forgetting St. Rynaghs, who didn't lie down in front of Clara last year - though it could be argued that Clara found neither their feet nor rhythm until later on in the Summer.
Yeah, I think Clara's tendency to be casual in the group stages means there'll be some tight games and probably a draw somewhere. Also I think Clara over achieved slightly last year, playing good football in spells but not putting in anything near a 60 minute showcase. The danger is that such a young team might feel they've already cracked the formula and not push on and make improvements.

Treasurer
All Star

Rule

Post by Treasurer »

Lone Shark wrote:Now that you mention it, Killeigh appears to have morphed into St. Senchal's all of a sudden. Just to confuse people, I'm guessing ....
I'm guessing it's to do with the enforcement of the previously ignored rule that players from a hurling club seeking permission to play football can only play with an EXCLUSIVE football club and vice versa, which is causing new "exclusive" clubs to spring up all over. Am I right in sayin that Raheen players would have played football with Killeigh under permission prior to this year?

d-man
Junior B

Post by d-man »

Bord na Mona man wrote:
The Magpie wrote:Group 2 will not be as easy for Clara as some think. As LS already stated, Clara-Ferbane games are generally very tight affairs. The local derby with Tubber will almost certainly provide drama and no lack of intensity. Thats not forgetting St. Rynaghs, who didn't lie down in front of Clara last year - though it could be argued that Clara found neither their feet nor rhythm until later on in the Summer.
Yeah, I think Clara's tendency to be casual in the group stages means there'll be some tight games and probably a draw somewhere. Also I think Clara over achieved slightly last year, playing good football in spells but not putting in anything near a 60 minute showcase. The danger is that such a young team might feel they've already cracked the formula and not push on and make improvements.

Dont underestimate Clara, they are certainly not taking anything for granted based on last year, they are well up for it this year. Fitness will be be a big factor for all teams and Clara are preparing well.

Muck Savage
All Star

Post by Muck Savage »

Group 1 appears to be very weak and any of the three teams outside Rhode could just as easly get the drop and a knock out spot.
On the other hand group 3 looks like a nightmare, whatever team comes out of there will be doing well and I could see a playoff or two here.

Overall it'll be an interesting Championship. Rhode will be top dogs but Clara, Tullamore and Shamrocks could all beat them on a given day. Likewise St Brigids could take them with the local element but they'll get it hard to come out of that group. It's a good draw for a team like Ferbane also. Trying to rebuild from the glory days this group gives them a chance at making the knockout stages which would be a great boost to them.

The Intermediate football is interesting also. Agree that Edenderry and WI will be a fair auld clash. Any word on how Edenderry are shaping up after the drop? Are they getting things back on track? There are a lot of good teams in here and I'd expect it to be a good championship so droping two teams from last years senior was a good call.

Any word on what teams have new managers, look to be taking the championship serious etc.

The Magpie
All Star

Post by The Magpie »

I believe Shamrocks have a new management team. Certainly willing to be corrected on this one, but I hear that the team is comprised of:

Garreth O'Brien
Mark Plunkett
Padraic Gowran
The Dog chases the Car....the Car stops....the Dog can't Drive!