If you weren't a GAA fan ......

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.

What's your favourite sport other than GAA games?

Soccer
23%
Rugby
42%
Golf
8%
Horse/Greyhound Racing
4%
Tennis
No votes
American Football
12%
Basketball
No votes
Baseball
4%
Motor Racing (F1, WRC, Bikes)
4%
Others
4%

Total votes: 26

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

If you weren't a GAA fan ......

Post by Lone Shark »

.... what would be your sport of choice?

The reason I bring this up, is because even though I wasn't able to get to Tullamore on Sunday, I was back home in time to watch New England travel to San Diego in the AFC conference semi final on Sky, and I can honestly say I haven't enjoyed a televised sporting event so much or even felt so privileged to be watching greatness in action for a long time. It was nothing short of breathtaking, watching a complete well oiled team do their thing with total harmony, every player knowing their task and doing it to the absolute best of their ability.

For those of you who don't know, the well drilled and functional Patriots knocked off the much more talented but less disciplined Chargers (the result any real sports fan loves to see) in a 24-21 thriller.

Edit: Stoopid poll only letting me put in ten options - feel free to mention if its Darts, Snooker, Ultimate fighting etc......

Which has now left me in a position where if I lived in world without GAA, I can honestly say American Football would be my sport of choice. What say the house? I'm expecting Rugby to poll well here, but it will be interesting to see.

turk
All Star

Post by turk »

Same here LS, the American football is savage.

I'd add darts aswell, and rugby league

the bare biffo
All Star

Post by the bare biffo »

Wathed the Patriots San Diego game last night, wouldn't be a huge fan of the American variety but that was an entertaining game. Good stuff.

Cricket for me, a fieldsport where age and fitness ar no barrier !

Maybe bowls works too but I've never played that.
"The ball may pass, but the man, never."

azoffaly
All Star

Post by azoffaly »

I voted for rugby, but only just. I have an interest in American Sports of all hues, but the NFL and College Football would be my favourites.

Anyone interested in a trip to London next 'Fall' to see the proposed regular season game that they have been awarded.??

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

azoffaly wrote:Anyone interested in a trip to London next 'Fall' to see the proposed regular season game that they have been awarded.??
Chalk it down. I'm there. The good lady has to go to NY in the Autumn though to renew her visa, so I'm thinking we might incorporate a trip to the Meadowlands in that though, if at all possible.

azoffaly
All Star

Post by azoffaly »

Looks like it will be the Dolphins as the home team, and the opposition will be either the Giants or Bills.

OffalyManAway
Senior

Post by OffalyManAway »

And I believe Notre Dame will play Navy in Autumn 2012 in Croke Park. Pencil it in.

If you've never been to South Bend, Indiana to see the "Irish" play it is really an unbelievable experience. The campus is steeped in Catholic tradition complete with Basilica and Grotto to our lady - you'd swear you were in Lourdes (but with rakes of hot american college birds all around :P !). Well, well worth a trip.
Although tickets to home games are like gold dust, that may well change next season though as Qtr back Brady Quinn is likely No. 1 draft pick to the NFL this year.

Also the College Football hall of fame is there, in South Bend.

Rynaghs Biffo
All Star

Post by Rynaghs Biffo »

I'd be another one for the Rugby, it has to come second after the GAA for the passion and pride in the jersey. Theres very sports like it where the players and the supporters have mostly in common, which is that they come from the same place and represent that place!! I know Offaly has the exception of PJ Ward and Leinster have the exception of Contepomi for example, but the majority of the players can share the same pride with the fans.

Heres an example, tell me the difference when you have a derby match between Offaly and Laois when Ciaran Mac shapes up to Padraig Clancy, and when Ronaldo shapes up with Silvian Distin in the Manchester Derby???

...and excuse me if I keep on relating back to the GAA!!! i just love it!

Muck Savage
All Star

Post by Muck Savage »

I'd be on for the trip to London as well to see the NFL, they are crap teams but would be worth the trip. Was watching a few games over the last few weeks and there's nothing like a good College game, the NFL hasn't the same passion. If any of ye had a chance to see the Fiesta Bowl game between Boise State and Oklahoma it was the best game of American Football I've ever seen. Boise were the Div 2 team going up against a superpower and ended up winning in Offaly fashon. After a roller coaster game they ended up winning with a 2pt conversion trick play that even had the camera men tricked.

Aussie rules is a great game to watch also but without a question in the world a good game of Hurling will beat any game out there.

What's the story on tickets for that game in London? What's the date? Seen "the Irish" play Navy a few years ago in Croke Park also (about 10 now). Seen them in the US a few times as well, the women at the games are smashin.

As Such Ger
County player

Post by As Such Ger »

I never wanted to be a GAA supporter, I want to be a lumberjack....

azoffaly
All Star

The Shark goes to see Dolphins

Post by azoffaly »

We'll have to check out the specifics so, it'd be a good aul' craic if there was a few going over. WE could wear our Offaly jerseys and get on Fox or ESPN as well as SKY :)

One thing is that they (professional sports leagues) tend to put on these 'foreign' games very early in the season, i.e. the first weekend. They've done this for the baseball season opener that was held in Japan, and the NFL game in MExico between the Cardinals and 49ers. I'd expect this game to be on Labour Day weekend, which might clash with Offaly's All Ireland hurling final appearance :)

As for College Football, yes it is the business as well. This years bowl games were excellent, with the notable exception of Notre Dame's second half collapse to LSU. South Bend is indeed a worthwhile pilgrimage for anybody with even a passing interest in American Football. It's a short enough trip from Chicago if you are ever there (we drove one Saturday afternoon) I've never been to a game there, but the campus and stadium are worth a look. NCAA Football is similar to the GAA in terms of history etc, and you can feel the ghosts of the four horsemen, Knute Rockne, and even the Gipper, walking around the campus.

The College Football hall of fame is well worth a gander as well. And you can kick fieldgoals on the pitch out the back :)

ballymanabroad
All Star

Post by ballymanabroad »

And perhaps based in Finland???

Finland, Finland, Finland The country where I want to be Pony trekking or camping Or just watching TV

Finland, Finland, Finland It's the country for me You're so near to Russia So far from Japan Quite a long way from Cairo Lots of miles from Vietnam

Finland, Finland, Finland The country where I want to be Eating breakfast or dinner Or snack lunch in the hall Finland, Finland, Finland Finland has it all
It isn't the mountains ahead to climb that wear you out; it's the pebble in your shoe - Muhammad Ali

ballymanabroad
All Star

Post by ballymanabroad »

Rugby for me. Only 9 months to go......
It isn't the mountains ahead to climb that wear you out; it's the pebble in your shoe - Muhammad Ali

OffalyManAway
Senior

Post by OffalyManAway »

Indeed you can AZ, I've dropped a goal or two there myself !.

And for anyone who'd like to know more I suggest the movie RUDY !. I'd be surprised if there is any half passionate sports fan who can get through it without bawling !.

Muck Savage
All Star

Post by Muck Savage »

OffalyManAway
We're all me here, big hardy men. There won't be any bawling on this board, that's for them lady-boys!

By the way, where are you away?