Rhode's Media Ban

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Rhode's Media Ban

Post by Lone Shark »

I've no doubt I'll get another perspective on this from the Rhode contingent here, but anyway ......

Some of you may remember that last year Rhode imposed a media ban in the run up to the county final. No member of the panel, selectors or committee was allowed speak to the press at a time when obviously the local print and radio was keen to preview the upcoming game. And so it is again this year, with the added condition, that Rhode are also demanding that no-one is allowed report that a media ban is in existence either. (Guess I blew their cover on that one then .... :oops: )

So to sum up, Rhode want all the media not to mention them inthe run up to a match in which they are overwhelming favourites, plus they don't want anyone to say why they are not mentioning them.

Is it just me or is this woeful bad form? Leaving out the fact that the club (along with every other club, I stress) is only too happy to use the local media for the purposes of free advertising for dinner dances, golf classics and the likes, it creates a worrying precedent.

Obviously enough, it puts Clara in a no win situation, much like Shamrocks last year. They acquiesce and provide the general public with some content in the run up to the big game, and Rhode get to pick over the comments and drive themselves on with "we'll do our talking during the game". Of course this means that in time all clubs will do the same, and all that will have happened will be that readers and listeners will be deprived. I would imagine that if Shamrocks had reached this year's decider, serious consideration would have been given to doing the same - I know they were very annoyed last year.

Rhode will say that they are looking after their own interests, and that's a legitimate argument. However if the Tribune/Express/Indo was to look after their own interests, they'd have an interview with Scott Brady on one side, talking about the feeling in the club and how they hope to upset the odds. Then they'd balance that with a colour piece from the pubs of Rhode, full of comments about how Rhode are looking forward to an assault on Leinster, and how Clara are useless - exactly the kind of quotes people want to read and would drive Clara on. No doubt Rhode would be indignant at this, but again, the media would be acting in their own interests. Indeed a mischevious journalist could lead with something like "In a pub packed with current Rhode intermediate, junior and minor players, the feelings ranged from quietly confident to downright certain, with nobody voicing any real concerns over a lightweight Clara team".

No lies there, even if the journalist never said a word to any of the actual players and just talked to the drunk 18 year olds at the bar.

I would suggest that Rhode should definitely do the decent thing, let Stephen Darby himself or whoever feels comfortable with it have a few words woth the papers and cut out this messing, which only does themselves and the county a dis-service.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

These media bans are silly. Especially for a county final where every paper needs to fill several pages of copy.
When it happens at national level, then the papers simply do a few interviews and get opinions from former players.

They are pointless as opposition teams can get as much motivation from quotes by someone with nothing to do with the team in question. Remember this year, the Dubs used an article written by someone in a Leix paper calling them pansies for motivation.

As Such Ger
County player

Post by As Such Ger »

Find it very hard to believe that any team at club level actually do this. think it is a load of horsesh*te to be honest.

I bet the Rhode lads will have no bother in going out Wednesday morning to buy the paper if they win - wouldn't it be a right kick in the arse if they opened the sports page and didnt find any details of the match at all...put an end to thier media bans quick smart im sure.

Archangel
All Star
Club: Ballycommon

Post by Archangel »

As Such Ger wrote: I bet the Rhode lads will have no bother in going out Wednesday morning to buy the paper if they win - wouldn't it be a right kick in the arse if they opened the sports page and didnt find any details of the match at all...put an end to thier media bans quick smart im sure.

:lol: Wouldn't it be grand if it happened, but seriously, it's a bit much for a feckin club team to do this 'press ban' crap... :evil: smacks of a ''them and us'' attitude. Fair enough, they are probably the best team in the county, but don't need to keep acting like prima-donnas.

azoffaly
All Star

Post by azoffaly »

Fair enough, they are probably the best team in the county,
That's like saying they are the tallest pygmy. Rhode need to start producing the goods in Leinster if they want to start carrying on with this sort of 'big time' rubbish. A media ban. Jaysus you'd swear Sky Sports was beating down the door to interview Pascal Kellaghan or something.

[/code]

The Biff
All Star

Ban the Media

Post by The Biff »

Sure didn't the Dubs say they were going to apply the same type of Media Ban this year and that decision petered out fairly quickly. It does sound ridiculous for a club team like Rhode to do this - what are they worried about? An Exposé of the past unpaid loans received by some player from his influential friends? Revelations that they are not all tax-compliant? Friends being appointed to State Boards or Important Roles in the GAA?

This is about a game of Football for chrissakes! Lighten Up Rhode will ya! :?

d-man
Junior B

Re: Rhode's Media Ban

Post by d-man »

Lone Shark wrote:I've no doubt I'll get another perspective on this from the Rhode contingent here, but anyway ......

Some of you may remember that last year Rhode imposed a media ban in the run up to the county final. No member of the panel, selectors or committee was allowed speak to the press at a time when obviously the local print and radio was keen to preview the upcoming game. And so it is again this year, with the added condition, that Rhode are also demanding that no-one is allowed report that a media ban is in existence either. (Guess I blew their cover on that one then .... :oops: )

So to sum up, Rhode want all the media not to mention them inthe run up to a match in which they are overwhelming favourites, plus they don't want anyone to say why they are not mentioning them.

Is it just me or is this woeful bad form? Leaving out the fact that the club (along with every other club, I stress) is only too happy to use the local media for the purposes of free advertising for dinner dances, golf classics and the likes, it creates a worrying precedent.

Obviously enough, it puts Clara in a no win situation, much like Shamrocks last year. They acquiesce and provide the general public with some content in the run up to the big game, and Rhode get to pick over the comments and drive themselves on with "we'll do our talking during the game". Of course this means that in time all clubs will do the same, and all that will have happened will be that readers and listeners will be deprived. I would imagine that if Shamrocks had reached this year's decider, serious consideration would have been given to doing the same - I know they were very annoyed last year.

Rhode will say that they are looking after their own interests, and that's a legitimate argument. However if the Tribune/Express/Indo was to look after their own interests, they'd have an interview with Scott Brady on one side, talking about the feeling in the club and how they hope to upset the odds. Then they'd balance that with a colour piece from the pubs of Rhode, full of comments about how Rhode are looking forward to an assault on Leinster, and how Clara are useless - exactly the kind of quotes people want to read and would drive Clara on. No doubt Rhode would be indignant at this, but again, the media would be acting in their own interests. Indeed a mischevious journalist could lead with something like "In a pub packed with current Rhode intermediate, junior and minor players, the feelings ranged from quietly confident to downright certain, with nobody voicing any real concerns over a lightweight Clara team".

No lies there, even if the journalist never said a word to any of the actual players and just talked to the drunk 18 year olds at the bar.

I would suggest that Rhode should definitely do the decent thing, let Stephen Darby himself or whoever feels comfortable with it have a few words woth the papers and cut out this messing, which only does themselves and the county a dis-service.
Makes a complete laugh of the county boards efforts to run seminars for club PROs (one of which I attended last year at Bridge House), which are designed to ensure each club knows how to access all forms of media to promote their club, activities, results and to build interest generally to continue to attract youngsters to our national sports.

This is an non-professional sport and organisation which grew from the origins of community participation with pride in parish versus parish.

So why should Rhode behave as if they are an elitist Premiership soccer club.

C'mon lads, cop on!

You're own supporters need the titbits of information and banter in the papers as much as anyone else

And sure havent ye got a great spokesman in PK anyway, dont you know the we all cant wait for what he has to say :lol:

d-man
Junior B

Re: Rhode's Media Ban

Post by d-man »

just heard from a contact in the Rhode squad, that there is no "official" media ban in place.

The players have been told that if they dont want to speak to media then they dont have to.

hmmmmm!

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Meanwhile the papers have been told that no-one will be talking to them, no player is to be contacted, no member of the management team will be speaking either, but neither is it to be reported that this is happening.

I can see how this is not an "official" media ban all right.

This is so simple it's ridiculous. Take a couple of lads that would be comfortable, have an evening in a local pub or in the clubhouse where any journalists that want to can attend, and it's all over in an hour. The papers are happy so nobody who doesn't want to will get harassed, and everyone's in good form.

I truly hope this backfires on them.

d-man
Junior B

Post by d-man »

Lone Shark wrote:Meanwhile the papers have been told that no-one will be talking to them, no player is to be contacted, no member of the management team will be speaking either, but neither is it to be reported that this is happening.

I can see how this is not an "official" media ban all right.

This is so simple it's ridiculous. Take a couple of lads that would be comfortable, have an evening in a local pub or in the clubhouse where any journalists that want to can attend, and it's all over in an hour. The papers are happy so nobody who doesn't want to will get harassed, and everyone's in good form.

I truly hope this backfires on them.
d-man waves his black and white flag

Me too! :wink:

The Magpie
All Star

Post by The Magpie »

This is almost beyond belief lads. In fact, I wouldn't believe it but for the fact that you're claiming they also did this last year. I don't remember that happening, but I have read enough on this forum to suggest that Lone Shark is a credible person.

Please enlighten me. Why would a club draw such negative PR towards themselves? There are surely easier ways of motivating lads and winning the Dowling Cup. Won't Rhode be motivated enough by the fact that Clara were the last team to beat them in the Championship? (I think!)
The Dog chases the Car....the Car stops....the Dog can't Drive!

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Yeah,

Clara should (rightly) interpret this as Rhode perceiving themselves as being above talking to the media.
That being in a county is a nuisance rather than an honour. That they are keeping half an eye on Leinster and couldn't be bothered with the formalities surrounding a county final.
That they think they're all superstars who are too up themselves to be bothered giving time to a local journalist. Next thing they'll be getting agents!
The roar from the dressing room should be "Who the fup do they think they are? Mill into them lads and show these big headed hoors a thing or two!"
:D

d-man
Junior B

Post by d-man »

Bord na Mona man wrote:Yeah,

Clara should (rightly) interpret this as Rhode perceiving themselves as being above talking to the media.
That being in a county is a nuisance rather than an honour. That they are keeping half an eye on Leinster and couldn't be bothered with the formalities surrounding a county final.
That they think they're all superstars who are too up themselves to be bothered giving time to a local journalist. Next thing they'll be getting agents!
The roar from the dressing room should be "Who the fup do they think they are? Mill into them lads and show these big headed hoors a thing or two!"
:D
Perhaps its a pointer to a number of personalities who might have a fragile temperament coming up to and during the big match, and who might not be able to handle some critical comment.

Tom
County player

Post by Tom »

Lads, stop bitchin bout them... Now they can justify their claim that " the whole county is against them"

F**k them, i hope to god Shaper gets to talk to the tribune, Dowling cup in one hand and tell them that media ban or no media ban, the papers won't want to talk to them till next year anyway...

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Tom wrote:Lads, stop bitchin bout them... Now they can justify their claim that " the whole county is against them"
Anyone could claim that. All they need to do is act the maggot for a while and it'll be true, too. I guess Rhode are going down that path.

To update this story, There appears to have been a little bit of relenting in that now Stephen Darby is willing to talk himself, but none of his players are to be contacted without his prior permission. I know there was a lot of pressure coming on from all sides, so whether there was a quiet word in the ear from a county board member, a rethink of policy or a fear of how people would react to this I don't know, but based on the media people I'd be in contact with, that's the updated version.