InterCounty Hurling Championship 2024

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
JimBwobb
All Star

InterCounty Hurling Championship 2024

Post by JimBwobb »

Hi Folks,

A topic on the hurling championship in 2024. Couple of talking points below:
  • Carlow drawing with Kilkenny yesterday,
    brilliant achievement for them.
  • Dublin putting Antrim to the sword by 20 points after the Saffrons beat the Yellow Bellies, very poor performance to folllow that up.
  • How inconsistent are Galway this year? Very poor IMO.
  • Rebels beating the Treaty in an absolute CLASSIC, blowing the Munster Championship wide open.
  • Peoples views on the Top 3 in Leinster/Munster?.

G91
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Re: InterCounty Hurling Championship 2024

Post by G91 »

Tipp have gone back a bit still they're a top team

Cork are celebrating a bit over the top I know beating the all ireland champions is massive boost but there's a bit of hurling left before anything is decided

Kk were down to 14 and carlow played very well to get the draw

Antrim have never kicked on since staying in lienster

Nothing really has changed you could have predicted carlow and antrim to be bottom

If carlow can get a result v Wexford and antrim v galway that will make it interesting

I think the gaa would be sweating buckets if galway were near relegation to joe mcdonagh

JohnnyBoy24
Senior

Post by JohnnyBoy24 »

Savage result for Carlow, could see from the players/managment they believe they belong playing in Leinster as there was no wild celebrations and they will fancy beating antrim, god knows how ya explain what happened to them against Dublin.

You'd think Limerick won't lose to much sleep over last night. Cork needed it more. Limerick have it in them to go up the gears when really needed. They'd the game won last night and had bit of a wobbler more so down to them then anything cork done in last few minutes

Leinster top 3 - KK , Wexford and Dublin I think this year. Hard to know what's going in Galway but are liable to turn around and win by 10 points the next day.

Munster - Limerick Clare and probably cork, although you wouldn't rule out tipp turning them over. I think that waterford needed to beat tipp to give them 4 points as I don't think they'll turn over Clare or limerick.

G91
All Star

Post by G91 »

Exactly carlow earned the right to be there I would like to see them and antrim stay up that would make it very interesting to see another joe mcdonagh winner enter the fold next year

Waterford have the Davie Fitz boost like when he went to wexford he had them competing for awhile but like everywhere he goes it will soon fall apart short term succes at the expense of longevity

Clare were very good but then declined and now under lohan got the act back together, wexford have gone back a good bit again nowhere near as solid as they once were was a risky move making Keith Ros' the manager. wasn't there some question's being asked after the under 20 final last year ?

Tipp have been hurling for so long at the top level and now it's moved up a gear they seem to be stuck in the same one but still seeing what they did to us and then what happened to them is frightening

faithfulfanatic
All Star
Club: Coolderry

Post by faithfulfanatic »

I know there is a Carlow supporter here the odd time.
Congrats on the result versus your near neighbours.
Like ourselves, hurling mad and always longing for a day in the sun.
Fully deserved result on Saturday versus Kilkenny and I hope they push on against Wexford and Antrim.

Don't get me wrong, last year's Joe Mc final still hurts (we pucked it away with wides).
Carlow is one of the few counties that has a smaller population and playing base than us while still trying to compete across 2 codes.

JimBwobb
All Star

Post by JimBwobb »

Massive incentive for Offaly apart from Offaly returning to Liam Mc hurling in the Joe Mc D is to avoid Cork in a preliminary Quarter :lol: :lol:

Faithfully
Intermediate

Post by Faithfully »

JimBwobb wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 8:07 pm Massive incentive for Offaly apart from Offaly returning to Liam Mc hurling in the Joe Mc D is to avoid Cork in a preliminary Quarter :lol: :lol:
Not exactly. The winner of Laois vs Offaly will play 3rd in Munster.

So if Cork finish 3rd they'll be making a trip to Portlaoise or Tullamore.
Attachments
Screenshot_20240519_202103_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20240519_202103_Chrome.jpg (242.93 KiB) Viewed 1148 times

JimBwobb
All Star

Post by JimBwobb »

Oh interesting, last year's the winners played third Leinster team so I assumed it was same format.

Not sure if they alternate each year then.

Faithfully
Intermediate

Post by Faithfully »

Yep, that's it exactly. Alternates each year.

Hasselhoff
All Star

Post by Hasselhoff »

It should just be whoever wins plays the third in Leinster every year and runner up in joe mcdonagh is over.

JimBwobb
All Star

Post by JimBwobb »

On a side note, Cork are absolutely flying at the minute and they may not even make it out of Munster bar a set of results go against them.

Poor Tipp put to the sword in Thurles :lol: :lol:
Maybe they should of kept Colm Bonnar after.

G91
All Star

Post by G91 »

It's not looking like they will , imagine after all that celebration vs limerick to get knocked out

Now just to to add I've been there when offaly gave dublin a clipping a few year ago we went crazy , I celebrated the exact same in gills pub, but I had an excuse of having one too many

JohnnyBoy24
Senior

Post by JohnnyBoy24 »

The long winter in Galway and Tipp begins.
Antrim stay up - are they any closer to the top 3 in reality after a few years or just above the Joe McDonagh level when needed.

G91
All Star

Post by G91 »

JohnnyBoy24 wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 5:42 pm The long winter in Galway and Tipp begins.
Antrim stay up - are they any closer to the top 3 in reality after a few years or just above the Joe McDonagh level when needed.
Antrim manged to produce one big game and won

Unfortunately for carlow thiers was a draw

I don't think antrim have improved thought carlow would've been better but again. The mcdonagh cup win wasn't the most convinced with Offaly going to extra time with a spare man for over 60mins

Thought dublin v galway was poor game big men not really able to move
I think kk will destroy

JohnnyBoy24
Senior

Post by JohnnyBoy24 »

G91 wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 7:20 pm
JohnnyBoy24 wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 5:42 pm The long winter in Galway and Tipp begins.
Antrim manged to produce one big game and won

Unfortunately for carlow thiers was a draw

I don't think antrim have improved thought carlow would've been better but again. The mcdonagh cup win wasn't the most convinced with Offaly going to extra time with a spare man for over 60mins

Thought dublin v galway was poor game big men not really able to move
I think kk will destroy
Suppose whoever's wins Joe mc will be looking to do well in 1B next year and target that antrim game, anything else is a bonus.
Looking at ourselves it would be savage if we stayed up in Leinster (IF WE WIN JOE MC) and looked to build the year after.

Was on the road in the afternoon so was listening to rte sport. Hard to know where Galway goes from here, giving they beat tipp in a qf last year it's hard to know who's in a worse position.

Limerick and KK just doing enough at the moment when needed. Could see Clare beat them in a munster final but can't see Dublin beat KK.