Offaly Senior Hurlers 2024

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
faithfulfanatic
All Star
Club: Coolderry

Re: Offaly Senior Hurlers 2024

Post by faithfulfanatic »

joey1001 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 11:26 pm
Lone Shark wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 3:25 pm From Laois' perspective, it's not different at all. No team would or should spend their time worrying about others, and last year Offaly had to fulfil a fixture against Carlow, this year Laois have to fulfil a fixture against Westmeath.

Offaly weren't "choosing" to play Carlow in the final any more than picking a full strength team would have been "choosing" to play Laois. Offaly looked at the load on their players, particularly the U20s, and acted accordingly, entirely in the interests of the health of the Offaly panel. As the final proved, it's not like picking a full strength team was any guarantee of beating Carlow anyway.

For what it's worth, I would expect Laois to run out the second string against Westmeath, depending on who needs rest and who needs game time - you certainly won't see the likes of Jer Quinlan playing - and that's exactly what they should do. But it's still hypocrisy from the manager if they do.

Now maybe he will play his best 15, Quinlan included, and then I'll be the first to admit he genuinely believes in his principles.

Offalys down fall was playing a weakened team v Carlow last year, it broke up the momentum and it filled Carlow with confidence even though they played a weakened offaly side.. it changed the dynamics.. both teams have good momentum goin at the moment, either side fielding a weakened team for the final game will do themselves no favour. Westmeath will go after a weakened Laois team as they have nothing to play for. I hope they field a weakened team and offaly put out a strong team and keep momentum going. Now is our time to step past the kerry Westmeaths and Laois of this world.. the way we disposed of Kerry tells me this team is on a steep upward curve and should have enough for laois but now is not the time to take foot odd throttle
And if Offaly had played a full strength team, beaten Carlow but picked up a few injuries, and then lost the final, people would have said that Offaly should have played a weakened team first time out.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

faithfulfanatic wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 9:23 am
joey1001 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 11:26 pm
Lone Shark wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 3:25 pm From Laois' perspective, it's not different at all. No team would or should spend their time worrying about others, and last year Offaly had to fulfil a fixture against Carlow, this year Laois have to fulfil a fixture against Westmeath.

Offaly weren't "choosing" to play Carlow in the final any more than picking a full strength team would have been "choosing" to play Laois. Offaly looked at the load on their players, particularly the U20s, and acted accordingly, entirely in the interests of the health of the Offaly panel. As the final proved, it's not like picking a full strength team was any guarantee of beating Carlow anyway.

For what it's worth, I would expect Laois to run out the second string against Westmeath, depending on who needs rest and who needs game time - you certainly won't see the likes of Jer Quinlan playing - and that's exactly what they should do. But it's still hypocrisy from the manager if they do.

Now maybe he will play his best 15, Quinlan included, and then I'll be the first to admit he genuinely believes in his principles.

Offalys down fall was playing a weakened team v Carlow last year, it broke up the momentum and it filled Carlow with confidence even though they played a weakened offaly side.. it changed the dynamics.. both teams have good momentum goin at the moment, either side fielding a weakened team for the final game will do themselves no favour. Westmeath will go after a weakened Laois team as they have nothing to play for. I hope they field a weakened team and offaly put out a strong team and keep momentum going. Now is our time to step past the kerry Westmeaths and Laois of this world.. the way we disposed of Kerry tells me this team is on a steep upward curve and should have enough for laois but now is not the time to take foot odd throttle
And if Offaly had played a full strength team, beaten Carlow but picked up a few injuries, and then lost the final, people would have said that Offaly should have played a weakened team first time out.
Yes, last year by the time Offaly played Carlow, it was their 12th competitive match in 14 weeks.
It was also 6 days after they had beaten Kerry to secure a place in the final.
The U20s were already on a run to the All Ireland final, we were starting the Charlie Mitchell debate about a player potentially having to play twice on one day.

Even if an Offaly player didn't get injured vs Carlow, playing a full team would have been contributing to player burn out.

joey1001
All Star

Post by joey1001 »

ah lethimoutwithit wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 8:59 am

Keesha is correct, Offaly earned the right to rest players, Laois hoped that complaining might provoke a response and somehow Offaly would turn Carlow over. Laois mgt would have said , "Fuck it lads we've noone to blame only ourselves "behind closed doors.
But technically its different in that nothing riding on the games this weekend. Offaly and Laois are in a bind though as is a long lead into a final and trying to keep the players ticking over is the key. Guys carrying anything should be rested.

Obviously I'd agree if lads are carrying anything then they are a no for selection but you pointed out a long lead into a final and keep lads and the team ticking over and momentum going is so important I think.. whether we like to say it or not and its not taking from offaly or dublin but both benefitted from a quarter final in the u20 where kilkenny and galway were left sitting and it was very obvious (again not taking anything form either team) it's just to highlight importance of keeping momentum going and bare in mind also its what this offaly team is used to playing consistently and often and they probably so used to it that they thrive on it now.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

If I was offaly I'd be looking to finish on a win and best way to do that is to go with your best team. Last year offaly were within their rights to do as they pleased. But it was almost an entire new team and were well bet. Offaly have momentum. Its important to keep that going . Offaly have to win the joe mcdonagh. They simply have to.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

private joker wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 11:43 am If I was offaly I'd be looking to finish on a win and best way to do that is to go with your best team. Last year offaly were within their rights to do as they pleased. But it was almost an entire new team and were well bet. Offaly have momentum. Its important to keep that going . Offaly have to win the joe mcdonagh. They simply have to.
Will they? It will be a big challenge.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

No u20s in this week's panel

JohnnyBoy24
Senior

Post by JohnnyBoy24 »

Very strong bench if needed. Should have plenty for Down in that starting 15 anyways.

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

private joker wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 11:43 am If I was offaly I'd be looking to finish on a win and best way to do that is to go with your best team. Last year offaly were within their rights to do as they pleased. But it was almost an entire new team and were well bet. Offaly have momentum. Its important to keep that going . Offaly have to win the joe mcdonagh. They simply have to.
Explain why they simply have to win? I get it, it’s a final v Laois and we want to win but why do you say we have to win? Next year we’re going to be in a competitive league with Waterford, Wexford, Dublin and Antrim. Some great matches for developing players. I don’t think it’ll be end of the world if we’re still in JoeMcD cup.

G91
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by G91 »

Well in theory, you try and stay up play better teams where you would also improve ,

Downside , get knocked back down and get thrashed in all games

Mad thought but I think all lienster teams should be eligible to play in lienster proper

Bottom 2 go to joe mc

Top 2 play in the final

3 spot all ireland preliminary round vs 3rd in Munster

This was probably hashed out a few times and what kerry and down do I haven't a clue

I just don't like the fact that galway can compete for lienster while leinster county's can't and I know it wouldn’t do meath any favours maybe they wouldn't want to play in it

joey1001
All Star

Post by joey1001 »

G91 wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 10:22 pm Well in theory, you try and stay up play better teams where you would also improve ,

Downside , get knocked back down and get thrashed in all games

Mad thought but I think all lienster teams should be eligible to play in lienster proper

Bottom 2 go to joe mc

Top 2 play in the final

3 spot all ireland preliminary round vs 3rd in Munster

This was probably hashed out a few times and what kerry and down do I haven't a clue

I just don't like the fact that galway can compete for lienster while leinster county's can't and I know it wouldn’t do meath any favours maybe they wouldn't want to play in it

Have to agree all teams should be allowed compete in leister at some stage, beatings or no beatings and I would assume the likes of meath/Louth etc would love to play in a preliminary round Robin to get to some stage of leinster and play against the bigger teams. Run the provinces and then have an open draw for all ireland, play mcdonagh etc as second competitions like tailteann

KeshaWantsTimber
Intermediate

Post by KeshaWantsTimber »

Anyway we tend to think of the u20s and the seniors as almost the same now but the u20s have a different mindset. They thrive on the big occassion while this attitude will eventually seep into the senior team, its not there yet.

The seniors have lost to Down, Carlow, drew with Kildare and haven't really produced much when they really needed it in any game of note. A nervy 2A league final win vs a Kildare team with a misfiring freetaker is pretty much all we have to show for last few years.

JohnnyBoy24
Senior

Post by JohnnyBoy24 »

Anyone at today's game ? Seemed to have being in cruise control,then let in 3 goals , bit like the laois game.
Positive to have gotten game time and scores into lads who will make an appearance in the final at some stage.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

we got a win today, made hard work of it in the end...3-25 is serious concession which wont bother some (given there was nothing to play for) but its still alot in a game we didn't need to win...scoring 5-23 is good but the concession rate bothers me abit..Laois obviously went weak against Westmeath..we can beat Laois but i dunno..they wont fear us and regardless of how they have beaten us already and have scored freely too. ...without going through stats i think they may have conceded less than us..i stand corrected on that..if our U20s win next week it will be a great boost for us..

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Fairplayalways wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 9:53 pm we got a win today, made hard work of it in the end...3-25 is serious concession which wont bother some (given there was nothing to play for) but its still alot in a game we didn't need to win...scoring 5-23 is good but the concession rate bothers me abit..Laois obviously went weak against Westmeath..we can beat Laois but i dunno..they wont fear us and regardless of how they have beaten us already and have scored freely too. ...without going through stats i think they may have conceded less than us..i stand corrected on that..if our U20s win next week it will be a great boost for us..
Offaly 14 points ahead at62 minutes. 3-1 conceded in 10 minutes. A win regardless, but Down scored 3-25. Laois will be a different matter.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Dublin have contested all 3 leinster finals.