Offaly Under 20s hurling 2024

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Re: Offaly Under 20s hurling 2024

Post by Lone Shark »

Anonymous1 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 12:50 pm I’d love to hear the rationale for a 7:15pm final on a Saturday.
I can only assume TV coverage?
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

faithfulfanatic wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 8:46 am Superb win last night, well done to all.

Laois GAA should be embarrassed.
1. Very few stewards on duty. Almost more guards than stewards. I heard one steward loudly tell another on the way in to make sure as many could hear that he'd 'much rather be in the fu***ng bog'.
2. No national anthem played.
3. No subs announced or added time at the end of either half.
4. Bathrooms overflowing with urine.
5. Not even the respect to stick up an Offaly flag, instead opting for an Irish one.

The rivalry and bitterness may be mutual, but the lack of basic decency and respect is criminal.
Yes, there is a real malaise around the place. Having big games there seems to be a chore for them.
A few weeks ago, when Offaly senior hurlers played there, minutes after the final whistle, they had shut all the terrace-side exits. The way out was for people to force a turnstile backwards.

In O'Connor Park, there is a much bigger throng of volunteers—people who might prefer to be up in the crowd watching in some cases but put their shoulder to the wheel.

Gobbler
Junior B
Club: Tullamore

Post by Gobbler »

Lone Shark wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 1:36 pm
Anonymous1 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 12:50 pm I’d love to hear the rationale for a 7:15pm final on a Saturday.

Lads, a fantastic win. Well done to to all involved. The county is very proud of you all.

Reflecting on it, I think there is still loads more learnings to be taken and room for this squad to improve particularly closing out games.

Nothing much to add that has not been said already. The venue has to take responsibility for the small pitch invasion. The PA system probably played a part in this but the lack of stewards and organisation was baffling. This was not a shock that it was going to be a sell out.

Regarding the scheduling of the final. 7.15pm is crazy. Surely to god common sense will prevail here and it will be scheduled for at latest 5pm on a weekend. This should seriously be queried as so many young kids would be travelling to this. Its not family friendly to set such a time.

Any word on Dan Ravenhills injury. He wont have enough work done to start but any chance there would be 15 or 20 minutes in him.

Well done lads. Keep the heads down now and give this All Ireland final one hell of a rattle.

Faithfully
Intermediate

Post by Faithfully »

Gobbler wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 2:01 pm
Lone Shark wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 1:36 pm

Lads, a fantastic win. Well done to to all involved. The county is very proud of you all.

Reflecting on it, I think there is still loads more learnings to be taken and room for this squad to improve particularly closing out games.

Nothing much to add that has not been said already. The venue has to take responsibility for the small pitch invasion. The PA system probably played a part in this but the lack of stewards and organisation was baffling. This was not a shock that it was going to be a sell out.

Regarding the scheduling of the final. 7.15pm is crazy. Surely to god common sense will prevail here and it will be scheduled for at latest 5pm on a weekend. This should seriously be queried as so many young kids would be travelling to this. Its not family friendly to set such a time.

Any word on Dan Ravenhills injury. He wont have enough work done to start but any chance there would be 15 or 20 minutes in him.

Well done lads. Keep the heads down now and give this All Ireland final one hell of a rattle.
Dan Ravenhill is out for multiple months yet, he will not be donning an Offaly jersey again till 2025.

G91
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by G91 »

For that particular scenario is how he ended up injured

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by ah lethimoutwithit »

A point to make and OFFALY GAA need to highlight this and GAA need to act on it .

1) GAA is not the champions league and scheduling venues like this in advance of knowing the permutations is wrong. Carlow last year was the wrong venue out of fairned to the thousands of kids who wanted to SEE the Leinster final. There were numerous areas around the ground that the view was impossible due to the crowd capacity. AS a marketing tool it is unacceptable to treat young fans like this.
-There should be the option to look at this and say "Christ", this game could attract 15k and for comfort for people we'll put it in a bigger venue
-All Ireland should be in Thurles or if Tipp in it bring it to Croke park.

2) The timing, 7.15pm, again for families and traffic, won't be out of Kilkenny or back in car by 9pm at earliest. But my biggest concern and it has been creeping into the GAA, is the fact that young teenagers will be in Kilkenny for hours and between off licences and bars, it could be messy. Again, they are young and have had tough times with Covid etc, so not blaming them but this timing will not be good and parents should have a good chat with the nippers before they let them off on the bus. Indeed, its something the clubs could do with taking the lead on.
Pitch invasion aside the other night fans are grand but GAA should cop on with this one on the timing.

Finally, in relation to Portlaoise, yes there were issues there with toilets, as was the case in Carlow also last year, the PA system in most GAA grounds can be ropey enough.
BUT stewards is a major issue in most grounds , guess what , these people are volunteers, no pay and give up time when they can to do this. But ye guys talk as if they should automatically fall out of the trees. Because of its location , Portlaoise gets too many matches. I wonder do any of ye complaining lift a finger to park cars or help with yer own clubs occasionally, never mind drive into Tullamore or Birr to help? Ususally having to be there up to 2 hours in advance in some instances. In the main there should be be very few needed, and there should have been more there in certain areas but only so much they could do the other night anyway. Pitch invasion is not excusable and parents again need to speak to their kids after this. Hopefully the opportunity to invade pitch arises again.

But the second point is critical for all involved to ensure if the GAA sticks to its guns that we look after kids and clubmates etc in Kilkenny and behave in a safe way whilst absolutely enjoy the craic.
Just thought it should be mentioned that's all.

faithfulfanatic
All Star
Club: Coolderry

Post by faithfulfanatic »

ah lethimoutwithit wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 8:26 am
Finally, in relation to Portlaoise, yes there were issues there with toilets, as was the case in Carlow also last year, the PA system in most GAA grounds can be ropey enough.
BUT stewards is a major issue in most grounds , guess what , these people are volunteers, no pay and give up time when they can to do this. But ye guys talk as if they should automatically fall out of the trees. Because of its location , Portlaoise gets too many matches. I wonder do any of ye complaining lift a finger to park cars or help with yer own clubs occasionally, never mind drive into Tullamore or Birr to help? Ususally having to be there up to 2 hours in advance in some instances. In the main there should be be very few needed, and there should have been more there in certain areas but only so much they could do the other night anyway. Pitch invasion is not excusable and parents again need to speak to their kids after this. Hopefully the opportunity to invade pitch arises again.
I often help out to park cars at my own club and in Birr.
If O’Moore Park knew they wouldn’t have enough stewards, they shouldn’t have been given the game.
There was plenty that stewards could have done the other evening, that is the whole point of having stewards.
After the game had finished, one steward at the end of the terrace tried to forcibly close a gate for no reason as people began to stream onto the pitch. This was quickly sorted by a Garda who told him in no uncertain terms to let the people out.

Many of the kids going onto the pitch may have travelled on buses, with little to no interest in the game (only there to drink and have the craic) and there mightn't have even been a parent present.
It’s not like drinking at a game is some phenomenon recently created by teens in Offaly.
This is a ritual at this stage for teens and older from the Munster hurling counties and many of the bigger footballing counties, who get plenty of days out.

As for some of the adults that were at the front of the crowds on the sideline and were the first onto the pitch, they made a joke of themselves.

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by ah lethimoutwithit »

I agree regarding the number of stewards, and Leinster council need to deal with that.
So where do you play the game? I presume we host it as Dublin couldnt hold the crowd. Unfortunately Portlaoise is the only ground of note that was neutral, and for all its faults would rather attend there than travel to Nowlan park.
My point is that all these volunteers are taken for granted. They should be rewarded in some way, free tickets for games or something?

I F.....cking know that teenage drinking is not new, nor an OY phenomenon. But its the timing of the game. Normally you are looking at 1 or 2 hours before a game, but factor in early travel down, and a number of hours beforehand. Flagging it is all and its up to parents to advise and bus operators to act responsibly in when they schedule buses to arrive.
It would be no harm for adults to take the lead. Northern teams have had hassle in recent times and just want our young supporters to be safe is all.

Final point, Minor final in NP has reduced number of tickets to allow for U16s to enter. I would actually think that as LS pointed out, tickets should be distributed through clubs and members looked after first. This was always the way and rewards those who are involved in clubs for their efforts and is fundamental to the continued progression of the game.
Thats what they do with the Senior and in this case it will ensure that older people can be looked after too as they can be propritised by clubs for stand tickets which will be limited. Opposition will also travel in big numbers, Cork would have had close to 5k last year and will have more demand this year again..Tipp will travel well too given the disappointing year the Seniors had.

faithfulfanatic
All Star

Post by faithfulfanatic »

ah lethimoutwithit wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 9:13 am I agree regarding the number of stewards, and Leinster council need to deal with that.
So where do you play the game? I presume we host it as Dublin couldnt hold the crowd. Unfortunately Portlaoise is the only ground of note that was neutral, and for all its faults would rather attend there than travel to Nowlan park.
My point is that all these volunteers are taken for granted. They should be rewarded in some way, free tickets for games or something?

I F.....cking know that teenage drinking is not new, nor an OY phenomenon. But its the timing of the game. Normally you are looking at 1 or 2 hours before a game, but factor in early travel down, and a number of hours beforehand. Flagging it is all and its up to parents to advise and bus operators to act responsibly in when they schedule buses to arrive.
It would be no harm for adults to take the lead. Northern teams have had hassle in recent times and just want our young supporters to be safe is all.

Final point, Minor final in NP has reduced number of tickets to allow for U16s to enter. I would actually think that as LS pointed out, tickets should be distributed through clubs and members looked after first. This was always the way and rewards those who are involved in clubs for their efforts and is fundamental to the continued progression of the game.
Thats what they do with the Senior and in this case it will ensure that older people can be looked after too as they can be propritised by clubs for stand tickets which will be limited. Opposition will also travel in big numbers, Cork would have had close to 5k last year and will have more demand this year again..Tipp will travel well too given the disappointing year the Seniors had.
I completely agree on that.
If O'Moore Park say they don't have enough stewards, that's on Leinster Council. If they say they can adequately handle the game though, that's the fault of Laois GAA.

I agree on the teen drinking btw, sorry if I came across otherwise. Things get very messy.

I would normally agree on redistributing tickets through clubs, but from a selfish standpoint I hope this final is on general sale as the Offaly faithful will waste no time in gathering tickets.

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Have a look at this. Another great video by Mark Forde.
We need more counties doing this kind of promotion and GAA HQ to roll out some sort of social media strategy.

https://twitter.com/Offaly_GAA/status/1 ... 4280505663

JohnnyBoy24
Senior

Post by JohnnyBoy24 »

Munster final on tg4 tonight at 8pm

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Cork hurling is on a real roll at the moment. How long it lasts is another matter.

On the other hand Tipp are in bother. After an 18 point senior defeat to Cork and the 2 Johnnies getting the chop from 2FM, the U20s will want to give the county a lift.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Tipp won the minor final Monday night, good chance tonight so doing OK.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Bord na Mona man wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 2:30 pm Cork hurling is on a real roll at the moment. How long it lasts is another matter.

On the other hand Tipp are in bother. After an 18 point senior defeat to Cork and the 2 Johnnies getting the chop from 2FM, the U20s will want to give the county a lift.
I thought the exit of the two Johnnies from 2FM, would give everyone a lift.

Wing Back
County player

Post by Wing Back »

When will tickets go on sale for the u20 final?

Will it be directly after this game tonight?
Tomorrow morning?
Monday morning possibly?

Will it be general sale?

Any details much appreciated?
'Babs keating 'resigned' as coach because of illness and fatigue. The players were sick and tired of him'