Offaly Under 20s hurling 2024

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Anonymous1
All Star

Re: Offaly Under 20s hurling 2024

Post by Anonymous1 »

joey1001 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:11 pm
Faithfully wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:09 pm
joey1001 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:56 am Offaly are a good cut above laois at this level and should beat them with little fuss, I'd be protecting some of the lads that are playing senior so they are available for the senior team to give meath a good beating and continue our good momentum, far more important.
We will give Meath a good beating without King, Shirley, Bourke and Screeney. They are diabolically bad. No point in running them into the ground. They need to focus on getting over the quarter final and then back to senior for the tougher games against Kerry and Down.

I don't envisage any of the remaining games to be tough, we should win all 10 points plus but changing the team was our downfall last year, we lacked a bit yesterday in finding each other with passes and lacked a bit of fluidity at times and we still won easy. Get our best team out hurling together and build toward the final with laois, get us free flowing and playing to our best. Cannot be minding u 20 players for a competition where they have little chance of winning something. Huge chance to get back to leinster and stay there, Dublin and Welford will be within our reach over the next 2 years.
Disgraceful comment to say they have little chance of winning something, I thought you were the prophet of positivity? It seems that only extends to certain teams and I’d question why that is?

I’ll take an U20 All Ireland title over a Joe Mcdonagh Cup every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Doon Exile
All Star

Post by Doon Exile »

[/quote]

To say they have little chance of winning is patently incorrect. They may well come up short against a Kilkenny or Galway but they will certainly have no inferiority complex. This is a great bunch of lads who are Leinster champions. The notion that they would have little chance of winning would be appalling to each and every one of them.
[/quote]

100% agree
Doon exile....

joey1001
All Star

Post by joey1001 »

Faithfully wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:45 pm

We will give Meath a good beating without King, Shirley, Bourke and Screeney. They are diabolically bad. No point in running them into the ground. They need to focus on getting over the quarter final and then back to senior for the tougher games against Kerry and Down.

I don't envisage any of the remaining games to be tough, we should win all 10 points plus but changing the team was our downfall last year, we lacked a bit yesterday in finding each other with passes and lacked a bit of fluidity at times and we still won easy. Get our best team out hurling together and build toward the final with laois, get us free flowing and playing to our best. Cannot be minding u 20 players for a competition where they have little chance of winning something. Huge chance to get back to leinster and stay there, Dublin and Welford will be within our reach over the next 2 years.
To say they have little chance of winning is patently incorrect. They may well come up short against a Kilkenny or Galway but they will certainly have no inferiority complex. This is a great bunch of lads who are Leinster champions. The notion that they would have little chance of winning would be appalling to each and every one of them.

They wont have any inferiority complex and they will be believe that they can win which makes them even more important to the senior team. The senior lads need resting against laois and need to play against meath to ensure the senior team get into full rhythm it's far more important than the u20 and it won't stop them having a crack at kilkenny or Galway when the time comes. It's only 6 games, we should have our strongest team out in each game and do our best to be free flowing and playing at our best and if that means the protecting the u20 lads and ensuring their availability for the senior team then thar has to happen

joey1001
All Star

Post by joey1001 »

Anonymous1 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:50 pm

Disgraceful comment to say they have little chance of winning something, I thought you were the prophet of positivity? It seems that only extends to certain teams and I’d question why that is?

I’ll take an U20 All Ireland title over a Joe Mcdonagh Cup every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

You are the prophet of negativity and it only applies to certain teams, you've been making disgraceful comments about some teams all year. I'm not just "bein positive" for the sake of it. When I was being positive about the senior hurlers and footballers it was based on what I was seeing from them and other teams and I've been right, I still believe we're favourites for Joe mc and bar a 6 point turnaround with the miss and the goal for laois we could have beaten them easily, same westmeath and same with footballers v laois and today I predicted a 21 point defeat for the footballers. From the perspective of this team they are savage team but they are at the top table which is a credit to them but they struggle to see out games, mostly because of strong opposition, they are brilliant and battle so hard but they had a first time out Galway in poor weather on the ropes the last day and didn't see it out, Galway have played since and shown what they are about , kilkenny hockeyed laois, I don't believe we are capable of beating either going by the form book, offaly are 3rd favourites to win leinster and are 7/2, I wouldn't be putting my own money on that, they are 6th favourites at 12/1 to win the all Ireland. I'm not picking certain teams to be positive about, I'm calling it as I see it and I am being positive about this team, I've said numerous times they are phenomenon, the fact we are talking about an offal hurling team winning a leinster championship is testament to that and I believe they will give it a right crack but I don't believe they have a great chance against the likes of Galway/kilkenny and that's not putting them down ! But one thing for sure is I won't be back here to say I told you so if they are beaten, I sincerely hope they win it.

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

joey1001 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:07 pm

You are the prophet of negativity and it only applies to certain teams, you've been making disgraceful comments about some teams all year. I'm not just "bein positive" for the sake of it. When I was being positive about the senior hurlers and footballers it was based on what I was seeing from them and other teams and I've been right, I still believe we're favourites for Joe mc and bar a 6 point turnaround with the miss and the goal for laois we could have beaten them easily, same westmeath and same with footballers v laois and today I predicted a 21 point defeat for the footballers. From the perspective of this team they are savage team but they are at the top table which is a credit to them but they struggle to see out games, mostly because of strong opposition, they are brilliant and battle so hard but they had a first time out Galway in poor weather on the ropes the last day and didn't see it out, Galway have played since and shown what they are about , kilkenny hockeyed laois, I don't believe we are capable of beating either going by the form book, offaly are 3rd favourites to win leinster and are 7/2, I wouldn't be putting my own money on that, they are 6th favourites at 12/1 to win the all Ireland. I'm not picking certain teams to be positive about, I'm calling it as I see it and I am being positive about this team, I've said numerous times they are phenomenon, the fact we are talking about an offal hurling team winning a leinster championship is testament to that and I believe they will give it a right crack but I don't believe they have a great chance against the likes of Galway/kilkenny and that's not putting them down ! But one thing for sure is I won't be back here to say I told you so if they are beaten, I sincerely hope they win it.
So let me get this straight for the record; When the seniors blow a lead late against Laois it was an anomaly and they’ll make it up for the next time they play Laois but when the U20s blow a lead late against Galway we should write them off?

Got it, you haven’t a clue.

joey1001
All Star

Post by joey1001 »

Anonymous1 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:38 pm
joey1001 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:07 pm

So let me get this straight for the record; When the seniors blow a lead late against Laois it was an anomaly and they’ll make it up for the next time they play Laois but when the U20s blow a lead late against Galway we should write them off?

Got it, you haven’t a clue.

The seniors have played at a higher level this year and are around or above the level of laois in general for the last 20 years! It was championship and neither had a game and offaly were by far the better team. The u20s are operating at the very top level against the likes of Galway and kilkenny who are and have been levels above offaly for yonks now. The u20 game was in shocking conditions and it was Galways first day out and they simply did not show up, they have since gone on to hammer Dublin who offaly struggled to see off in the end and it is difficult to do it at that level! They and kilkenny are very good teams and yes the seniors will and should beat laois next time out and we should expect them to do so. I don't think the u20s can beat kilkenny/Galway, I'm not putting them down but it is how it is and I'm just calling it as I see it! I really hope they win leinster and I'll be happy to have you come back here to say I told you so which you no doubt will

G91
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by G91 »

Your judging galway to be poor v Offaly because it was there first outting and the conditions weren't that bad as you make out

But you judge offaly v dublin to be a struggle despite worse conditions puddles around the field, raining and it been Offalys first day out

Offaly were in cruise control v dublin and if it wasn't for two stupid mistakes more or less handing dublin 2 goals that game wouldn't have been anyway close

Don't know how you can make a comparison dublin were absolutely terrible v galway handling erros thier decision making they just let galway run riot opportunities they didn't get against Offaly because they didn't give then the room time or space and in attack they missed a few chances to kill the game screeny hit the crossbar and few goal chances missed galway could have won but so could Offaly

Kilkenny will always be good but they haven't exactly been dominant as they once were underage, wexford took that role for awhile

The only thing i see is the under 20 don't look as sharp as they did

Last year they got a games vs teams who weren't as good and built the momentum into the qauter and semi final and played out thier skin in the final

JimBwobb
All Star

Post by JimBwobb »

I'm hearing Dan Ravenhill gone for the season.....

G91
All Star

Post by G91 »

JimBwobb wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:01 pm I'm hearing Dan Ravenhill gone for the season.....
Such a pity,

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

JimBwobb wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:01 pm I'm hearing Dan Ravenhill gone for the season.....
Serious questions need asking of the Senior management if true, he hasn’t been fit for a while so this was the inevitable outcome if you kept on playing him.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

The U20 and senior managers should be hauled in front of the county board to explain their selection policy regarding Dan Ravenhill.

He clearly pulled his hamstring vs Dublin in U20 Round 1 and was eventually replaced. He then didn’t start in U20 Round 2 vs Galway but was an early introduction. Clearly while injured. And then to cap it off he started vs Laois in Joe McDonagh and did serious damage to the same hamstring.

Leo O’Connor and Johhny Kelly talk the talk regardong player centred environments and player welfare. But their actions here prove they couldn’t gove a sh1t about any of that. Arrogance beyond belief.

Easy to see why the strong rumours of U20 players allegedly hurling while concussed have been circulating for quite a while now.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

They aren't rumours. Player welfare was been put to one side last year on a number of occasions in particular at u20 level. He should not have played a minute vs galway this year as he was clearly hindered. Neither agai st laois in the senior. I don't know why the senior set up medical staff would clear him to play but I'm aware there was a clear out of staff from last year. That usually happens when there is a disagreement on players wellbeing.

G91
All Star

Post by G91 »

With ravenhill out

Who will replace him

Connor grennan from ferbane comes to mind he was captain of the offaly schools

He's a big and tough and was rumoured to be on this pannel but seemingly walked away ?

uibhfhaili72
Junior A
Club: St.Rynaghs

Post by uibhfhaili72 »

Shane Rigney Captained the Offaly Schools . Conor Doyle , Eoin Burke , Conor Duncan and Alex Kavanagh would probably be ahead of him in the pecking order . Interesting question alright

G91
All Star

Post by G91 »

I must have mixed him up with something else he didn't start on that team either way was he rumoured to be on the under 20 pannel

I thought he'd be a good shout aswel big physical isn't something offaly has in vast numbers