Offaly Senior Hurlers 2024

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Re: Offaly Senior Hurlers 2024

Post by Bord na Mona man »

For what it's worth, there wasn't much between the teams last year. Offaly's ability to get goals at the right time was a big factor in the win. A lot happens in a year, and that fixture is not really relevant now.

Granted Offaly should benefit from playing in the higher division, but that doesn't guarantee anything.
Offaly would have played the 2024 league with an underdog mindset - chasing games, responding to setbacks, counterpunching, and working hard to stay in touch.

Now, we're in a game where we need to dictate, control, and impose ourselves. It's a different scenario, and a different mindset is needed. I'm not suggesting Offaly can't or won't adjust, but a fatal error would be for Offaly to settle into a tit-for-that game where it's Offaly responding to Leix.

Another factor to look out for, there was massive crying done in Leix last year when Offaly fielded a weakened team against Carlow. Apparently Offaly owed it to Leix to go hells bells against Carlow right before the McDonagh final.

What they overlook is that Leix failed to beat Offaly and Carlow in the group stage - suggesting they were the 3rd best team in it. Cries about how an Offaly stroke stopped them from winning it are daft.

And then Offaly didn't beat Carlow - so Offaly robbed Leix...by not doing the thing that we weren't able to do anyway. FFS.
Their grievance doesn't stack up, but nearly a year later it's still a gripe for them.
I expect they will be playing the victim card in their preparations.
leix.png
leix.png (68.6 KiB) Viewed 1078 times

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

They are dead right too. Use whatever you can in a bid to win, regardless of how flimsy the argument is

JimBwobb
All Star

Post by JimBwobb »

Anyone at the challenge last week V Carlow? Seemingly bet by 20 plus points :shock:

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Got fairly walloped by antrim 3 weeks ago

JimBwobb
All Star

Post by JimBwobb »

Jesus, two teams who would see ourselves on par with realistically.

After decent ish performances in the league them results don't do anything for confidence, worrying.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Ah, that's okay. I'd be concerned if Offaly were winning challenge matches. But I actually feel better now.

And Stick Season in Leix - they just like to play the victim.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Gobbler
Junior C
Club: Tullamore

Post by Gobbler »

JimBwobb wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:22 pm Jesus, two teams who would see ourselves on par with realistically.

After decent ish performances in the league them results don't do anything for confidence, worrying.
Jaysus boys. Hammerings from Carlow and Antrim. Thats a pretty ominous sign coming into championship.

I do worry that we are well behind westmeath at the moment and a little behind laois also. I know there was some decent showing in the league but also when it really mattered in those games, the opposition blew us away.

We saw it earlier in the year in walsh cup what we already knew. Laois have a much more bigger physical team to our boys. I expect they will really look to use that. The only hope is that our lads dont get intimidated, dont get hot and bothered. Keep the cool and run make laois have to run around the park.

The lead in to this game is ominous with recent results. Challenge games or not, against that level of opponent their should be very little in those games.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

I think it's fair to say Offaly Laois and westmeath there is not too much between them all.

I think some lads are getting ahead of ourselves with some performances in the league but really we were playing mostly second string teams.

We have improved but I also think Laois and Westmeath have too.

There will be noting in it between the 3 teams.

Gobbler
Junior C
Club: Tullamore

Post by Gobbler »

greenairfield wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:17 am I think it's fair to say Offaly Laois and westmeath there is not too much between them all.

I think some lads are getting ahead of ourselves with some performances in the league but really we were playing mostly second string teams.

We have improved but I also think Laois and Westmeath have too.

There will be noting in it between the 3 teams.
Yes I totally agree with this. I dont think we should be reading too much into the league as the opposition were not too worried or approaching those games too seriously but still managed to beat us. There was an inability to close out games also. wexford and clare should have been killed off.

Small margins dictated the result against Laois last year and we got goals at good times. I think the group are a bit behind Westmeath and Laois but if they could beat those teams it would represent progress. This is the real exam.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

I'd say all 3 teams are fairly equal. That's not to say that on any given day offaly could beat or be bet well by the other two. These matches can't be called at all. Whether or not you can read anything into challenge matches. No , you cannot. They mean virtually nothing until the championship is over and you look back to see where it all went wrong or right

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Offaly's scoring rate tailed off after 50 minutes in the league games. A more sustainable pace of play will be needed in the McDonagh games.

joey1001
County player

Post by joey1001 »

Lads Laois and Westmeath put up little or no resistance in the league last year and the top level and managed a result and were very competitive. Lads are talking about second teams, it was no different when these teams met Laois and Westmeath last year.. if you think we can't beat Laois because we couldn't close out a game against the league champions when they brought on their big guns (ya don't win a league without a panel). From what we've seen this year and last, Offaly are above both Laois and Westmeath and barring a bad off day they'll win against both and win it out. I thought the negativity and poor reading of the footballers form was bad but this is nearly worse.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Bord na Mona man wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:01 pm Offaly's scoring rate tailed off after 50 minutes in the league games. A more sustainable pace of play will be needed in the McDonagh games.
The difference in the intensity brought by the opposition should play a part here on Sunday. Laois more than likely like Offaly are incapable of bringing a high octane, 75 minute plus, intensity a la Kilkenny.

So hopefullY we should see a higher scoring rate in this period.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Offaly 5/6
Laois 6/5.

Handicap is Laois +1

Bookies say there’s nothing between them.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

frankthetank wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:59 pm Offaly 5/6
Laois 6/5.

Handicap is Laois +1

Bookies say there’s nothing between them.
Apart from the Sl. Blooms! The bookies are usually on the ball.