Offaly Under 20s hurling 2024

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
G91
County player
Club: Ferbane

Re: Offaly Under 20s hurling 2024

Post by G91 »

Hard to know what to think of that result, i don't think you will learn a hole lot from galway perspective

Offaly missed out big time but another game might not be the worst of situations if they mange to get over the line of course

More time for any recovery needed /sharpen up

So offaly play the winners of a laois v tier 2 opposition in a Q final

And if successful play kk in a semi final ?

joey1001
County player

Post by joey1001 »

G91 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:23 pm Hard to know what to think of that result, i don't think you will learn a hole lot from galway perspective

Offaly missed out big time but another game might not be the worst of situations if they mange to get over the line of course

More time for any recovery needed /sharpen up

So offaly play the winners of a laois v tier 2 opposition in a Q final

And if successful play kk in a semi final ?
It looks as if the lack of a game for Galway and the weather closed the gap the last day as suggested. Galway didn't show up at all against us and in hindsight a draw against them was a fantastic result, we caught them on the hop really. They look like a proper team and will have all Ireland ambitions. Another game before KK will be no harm once it doesn't impact McDonagh preparations. Will be a huge ask against what looks like a very good KK team also but knowing these lads they'll face it head on and come out with heads held high again.

G91
County player

Post by G91 »

I don't think so offaly are a far better team than Dublin and Galway never got those opportunities against us

Honestly Dublin were shite and offaly should have beat them by just as much only for some crazy mistakes

Galway are good but how can you judge them by such a bad game

Faithfully
Junior B

Post by Faithfully »

We play the winners of Kildare-Laois on Wednesday May 8th.

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

Faithfully wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:59 pm We play the winners of Kildare-Laois on Wednesday May 8th.
Yeah and then as far as I understand we could still play Galway in the semi final if Dublin were to come through on the other side of the draw as repeat pairings aren’t allowed in the semis but Dublin/Galway is also a repeat pairing so a draw with Offaly/Dublin on one side and Galway/Kilkenny on the other would have to take place.

That semi may well be in a neutral venue too as TG4 are covering one semi so therefore it must be a ground with lights.

G91
County player

Post by G91 »

Anonymous1 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:30 pm
Faithfully wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:59 pm We play the winners of Kildare-Laois on Wednesday May 8th.
Yeah and then as far as I understand we could still play Galway in the semi final if Dublin were to come through on the other side of the draw as repeat pairings aren’t allowed in the semis but Dublin/Galway is also a repeat pairing so a draw with Offaly/Dublin on one side and Galway/Kilkenny on the other would have to take place.

That semi may well be in a neutral venue too as TG4 are covering one semi so therefore it must be a ground with lights.
What way does that work that offaly play dublin and not galway both would be a repeat pairing if they've managed to progress

Looks like portlaoise for a neutral venue surely

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

G91 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:56 am
Anonymous1 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:30 pm

What way does that work that offaly play dublin and not galway both would be a repeat pairing if they've managed to progress

Looks like portlaoise for a neutral venue surely
Maybe I didn’t explain myself the best.

Offaly can’t play Dublin unless they both reach the final.

Galway and Kilkenny can’t play each other in the semis as they both finished 1st in their respective groups and repeat pairings are to be avoided if possible in the semis but if Offaly and Dublin are the two teams that come through the QF then a repeat pairing between one of them and Galway is unavoidable so Offaly/Dublin would go into one pot and Galway/Kilkenny into the other to determine the semi final matchups.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Galway and Kilkenny as Tier 1 group winners are directly into the semi-finals. And they can't meet each other so it's

Kilkenny vs ?????

Galway vs ????

If we progress to the semi-final I would be pretty confident it would be on TV as this U20 team is pretty high profile with the likes of Dan Ravenhill and particularly Adam Screeney on board. In this case the game would take place in Portlaoise as it has floodlights.

If Dublin and Offaly progress to semi-finals there will be a draw where we get either Kilkenny or Galway.

If anyone else and Offaly progress to semi-finals we get Kilkenny.

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

frankthetank wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:51 pm Galway and Kilkenny as Tier 1 group winners are directly into the semi-finals. And they can't meet each other so it's

Kilkenny vs ?????

Galway vs ????

If we progress to the semi-final I would be pretty confident it would be on TV as this U20 team is pretty high profile with the likes of Dan Ravenhill and particularly Adam Screeney on board. In this case the game would take place in Portlaoise as it has floodlights.

If Dublin and Offaly progress to semi-finals there will be a draw where we get either Kilkenny or Galway.

If anyone else and Offaly progress to semi-finals we get Kilkenny.
Yeah, to simplify it this is our path to glory;

QF - vs Laois/Kildare
SF - vs Kilkenny/Galway
F - vs Kilkenny/Galway/Wexford/Dublin/Westmeath
AI - vs Munster champions
Last edited by Anonymous1 on Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Be a huge shock if Cork don’t win Munster.

Faithfully
Junior B

Post by Faithfully »

Think it'd be a shock if Cork don't win the All Ireland honestly. They've a fierce strong team.

I think the Westmeath vs Dublin game in the preliminary quarter finals will be very interesting. Westmeath have a half decent team and will be fancying their chances against Dublin with home advantage.

I bring it up because it could have a knock on effect on our clash with them in JMcD Cup on Saturday. There will be serious pressure on them to play Gaffney, Clarke, Williams and O'Reilly against us whereas the U20 management will want them kept fresh for the game vs Dublin the following day. I think they'd struggle to beat us without the U20s.

G91
County player

Post by G91 »

Faithfully wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:50 pm Think it'd be a shock if Cork don't win the All Ireland honestly. They've a fierce strong team.

I think the Westmeath vs Dublin game in the preliminary quarter finals will be very interesting. Westmeath have a half decent team and will be fancying their chances against Dublin with home advantage.

I bring it up because it could have a knock on effect on our clash with them in JMcD Cup on Saturday. There will be serious pressure on them to play Gaffney, Clarke, Williams and O'Reilly against us whereas the U20 management will want them kept fresh for the game vs Dublin the following day. I think they'd struggle to beat us without the U20s.
Listen to the westmeath managers interview post kerry he doesn't seem to keen on risking the under 20s he said it's not his decision to make

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

What he says and what he thinks would be different I'd say. He wants the Dublin job in due course and succes with westmeath would help him in attaining objective. He needs all u20s to play and probably wants that to happen. Not an easy decision and unfortunate to be in thst situation.

joey1001
County player

Post by joey1001 »

private joker wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:01 pm What he says and what he thinks would be different I'd say. He wants the Dublin job in due course and succes with westmeath would help him in attaining objective. He needs all u20s to play and probably wants that to happen. Not an easy decision and unfortunate to be in thst situation.

You'd expect the county board to make it an easy decision for him, play your best team or P45.. senior team has to take priority here and same in Offaly.. would be shocking if we were saving our u 20 players for a lower grade

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

joey1001 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:05 pm
private joker wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:01 pm What he says and what he thinks would be different I'd say. He wants the Dublin job in due course and succes with westmeath would help him in attaining objective. He needs all u20s to play and probably wants that to happen. Not an easy decision and unfortunate to be in thst situation.
You'd expect the county board to make it an easy decision for him, play your best team or P45.. senior team has to take priority here and same in Offaly.. would be shocking if we were saving our u 20 players for a lower grade
No, what’s actually shocking is playing one of the star U20 players knowing he wasn’t fully fit and now having him be out injured for both Seniors and U20’s…