Offaly Senior Footballers 2024

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Anonymous1
All Star

Re: Offaly Senior Footballers 2024

Post by Anonymous1 »

pigeon house biffo wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:20 pm
Anonymous1 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:55 pm
Hyper wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:43 pm Cian not on 26 - has wlked away from panel. anton and niall on bench. ff line keith, javk bryant and kevin mc
Bizarre that Offaly have him named at 14 in the team announcement, has this only happened last night?

The team sheets have to be submitted Thursday night don’t they
I presume so.

There’s something badly wrong that so many stalwarts have either walked away, been chopped or wouldn’t commit in the first place.

A strong manager is necessary but you have to bring the players with you.

No point in having a really disciplined panel if that panel isn’t made up of the best talent available in the county, some leeway needs to be given. Less stick and more carrot.

pigeon house biffo
All Star
Club: Rynagh

Post by pigeon house biffo »

Yeah, think Kelly might have made a balls of this.

Surprising cos at Lomans he’d have had to manage a lot of Westmeath seniors who you’d imagine would have had big egos. Odd that he hasn’t been able to navigate this a bit better.

del
County player

Post by del »

Cian Farrell dropped and has left the panel arguably the best forward in the county
NIGEL Dunne dropped for tonight’s game too as I said earlier this team was known the last few days.
All is not well in the camp
It will come out in the wash what’s going on there the last few months

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

Hyland has been subbed off before halftime.

Is Kelly purposely trying to get himself sacked?

pigeon house biffo
All Star

Thats the second time in two games a forward has been subbed off before half time

Not sure if injury related but brutal bad management if not.

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

pigeon house biffo wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:30 pm Thats the second time in two games a forward has been subbed off before half time

Not sure if injury related but brutal bad management if not.
Not injury related according to updates on twitter.

pigeon house biffo
All Star

Is it only twitter updates or is anyone from midlands 103 doing live commentary?

pigeon house biffo
All Star

Sounds like they had a lot of goal chances.

Wish they could say if we had played with or without the wind.

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

pigeon house biffo wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:40 pm Is it only twitter updates or is anyone from midlands 103 doing live commentary?
No live commentary on the Offaly game.

Laois hurling instead. :lol:

pigeon house biffo
All Star

Reading between the lines on a few posts looks like we are playing into the wind second half

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

pigeon house biffo wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:51 pm Reading between the lines on a few posts looks like we are playing into the wind second half
I think so too.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Anonymous1 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:44 pm
pigeon house biffo wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:40 pm Is it only twitter updates or is anyone from midlands 103 doing live commentary?
No live commentary on the Offaly game.

Laois hurling instead. :lol:
It was Jack Nolan at Laois v Carlow SH League 2A tonight. Just a late call to Laz Molloy in Newry. Normal for Mids 103.

pigeon house biffo
All Star

Hard to know with that result, it probably flatters offaly to some degree

Dont think down were ever really in trouble

Im amazed an internal appointment has caused such ruckus in the camp. Haven’t seen the likes of it since stephen wallace

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

del wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:58 pm Cian Farrell dropped and has left the panel arguably the best forward in the county
NIGEL Dunne dropped for tonight’s game too as I said earlier this team was known the last few days.
All is not well in the camp
It will come out in the wash what’s going on there the last few months
So sounds like lads put in great effort and gave Down a good game. Kodos to them as I am sure it was a tough week for everyone after Clare defeat.

Tried to listen on Midlands but to my disappointment, there wasnt even over and back coverage on Midlands radion which I think was shocking. Was similar for Antrim game.

Some of the changes were a surprise, particular Nigel Dunne one given he has been best inside forward we have had this year. I dont know the stats but his scores per minute ratio is way ahead of all others.

I can see Kelly's reason too - and well done to young Bryant who appeared to do well on score sheet acc to reports at least. Not sure how many were frees. If Kelly wants to know how good Bryant really is, this is a game to throw him in. He may have seen it as chance to nothing. On plus side, he gets high quality minutes against tough team and gets to see if he is up to it. He may have seen it as game likely to lose and spring lads in with view to reverting to Dunne in the upcoming must win games. If he is not testing panelists in this game, when does he get to test them. I wouldnt be doing much testing v Wicklow, Limerick or Sligo. If it goes well, great, if not, nothing lost and Dunne et al return for next game.

As it turned out, Bryant puts himself in shake up now for Wicklow game.

Re the subbing of Hyland, no idea if injury applied. If not, like someone else said, Cathal Donoghue and Nigel Dunne were whipped off just before HT v Westmeath - so no sentiment with Kelly. Some might see this as making calls as he sees them and good management. Others might say it is bad man management. Anton coming in appeared to do well so maybe the call was merited. I wasnt there so I dont know.

As for the rumours around Farrell, I just dont know tbh. Sometimes lads need to accept when they are left off and work hard to get back in. Sometimes, managers need to be clever about how they engage with players when dropping them. Im not sure which category his non participation in the panel comes under as I dont know the facts, but either way, Offaly needs Cian Farrell going forward. So if there is an issue, it is hopefully resolved amicably. Having Farrell leave (if true), along with absence of Bernard Allen and Shane Tierney, makes for a much weaker inside forward squad group than what we might have if they were there.

Interested in your last two lines about all not being well in the camp as I have not been hearing much really only that they trained exceptionally hard through the winter. What is it that'll come out in the wash.
jimbob

pigeon house biffo
All Star

Take your points above

Re: the springing of Anton from the bench and doing well. Its hardly a surprise he does well, he’s usually our most consistent forward in terms or scores and doggedness.

Unless as you say; they were just giving panellists a run and leaving off some starters for the must win games.