Offaly Senior Footballers 2024

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Anonymous1
All Star

Re: Offaly Senior Footballers 2024

Post by Anonymous1 »

jimbob17 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:36 pm I wouldn't put too much emphasis on O Byrne Cup even if that Dublin result was a poor one. There is and was lots going on for lads with Sigerson etc at time and hard to manage that with different loads on various players who had other things going on with college football.

The league will tell us exactly where we are and if we have improved or not.
Dublin had 15 lads thrown together who’d never played before and likely never will again yet they looked more like a starting county team than we did. I don’t buy the Sigerson excuse at all.

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

Bord na Mona man wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:36 pm
pigeon house biffo wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:06 pm
Bord na Mona man wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:43 am I wouldn't read much into the O'Byrne Cup. Dublin beat Wexford 5-17 to 1-11 last weekend sure.

Longford only made 2 substitutions in normal time yesterday, which shows they were putting a big emphasis on winning instead of trying lads out.
If Offaly had taken the same approach as Longford did, they would have beaten Dublin.

It was pretty close to a full strength offaly team though. If you’re arguing that we need our strongest 15 and not capable of beating that kind of dublin team with 75% of our starters then we really are in trouble.
If you make 8 substitutions in a game, you are prioritising giving players game time over the final result.
Actually we were so poor in the second half that a number of those changes were warranted and you surely wouldn’t argue that subbing on Eoin Carroll weakened the team, would you?

Superhans75
All Star
Club: Birr

Post by Superhans75 »

Basically I think we are a poorer team than were 5 years ago
We have lots of similarl players but don't play to a system which suits us .
We need to win 3 games at home and hopefully pick a win away somewhere
But I can't see Antrim rolling over like they did last year.
Down have quality.
Even Wicklow are no slouches
Going to be tough league .

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Anonymous1 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:22 pm
pigeon house biffo wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:06 pm
It was pretty close to a full strength offaly team though. If you’re arguing that we need our strongest 15 and not capable of beating that kind of dublin team with 75% of our starters then we really are in trouble.
If you make 8 substitutions in a game, you are prioritising giving players game time over the final result.
Actually we were so poor in the second half that a number of those changes were warranted and you surely wouldn’t argue that subbing on Eoin Carroll weakened the team, would you?
It's not about any player weakening the team though, making so many changes disrupts a team during a game. You're not necessarily replacing like with like. The new player on is not going to take up the same positions, or make the same runs, or take the same options as they fella he has replaced. It's also becomes a free for all in terms of gameplan and instructions.

The management were happy enough to take Nigel Dunne and Dylan Hyland off at half time. If they were eagerly chasing a win, they would hardly have done so.
Offaly were 8-4 ahead they made their 5th substitute, so it wasn't like they were throwing bodies on to rescue a sinking ship.
They took off Pearson and Hogan later. Would that ever happen in a proper match?

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

Bord na Mona man wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:55 pm
Anonymous1 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:22 pm
It's not about any player weakening the team though, making so many changes disrupts a team during a game. You're not necessarily replacing like with like. The new player on is not going to take up the same positions, or make the same runs, or take the same options as they fella he has replaced. It's also becomes a free for all in terms of gameplan and instructions.

The management were happy enough to take Nigel Dunne and Dylan Hyland off at half time. If they were eagerly chasing a win, they would hardly have done so.
Offaly were 8-4 ahead they made their 5th substitute, so it wasn't like they were throwing bodies on to rescue a sinking ship.
They took off Pearson and Hogan later. Would that ever happen in a proper match?
I’m not arguing that they were eagerly chasing a win but rather that even with a half strength team, we should’ve been well able to beat a 3rd/4th string Dublin side like Longford did if we’re going to make any inroads this season.

Pearson and Hogan both picked up knocks so yes that could conceivably happen in a proper match.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Reading many posts on this topic..we are hardly over crowding the trophy cabinet in many years f late to be not taking the O'Byrne cup seriously (well serious enough. If you get in a position to take a big scalp (be it 3d string) or even win it out you have to take it..come next October when the championship is a distant memory and we are waiting for January next year, would you rather have won nothing or a trophy of some sort or be happy we used 8 or 9 subs in a game in January and lost it after leading it well..I know what ide be taking..we can try out every player under the sun, promotion in the league is our 'All Ireland' as such...Leinster champions or All Ireland champions not going to happen, and before anyone says 'i didnt say we had a chance of winning provincial or All Ireland' ime just saying we should take whats on offer...had we beaten Dublin which we should have, we had game then against Wexford (a very decent challenge for us, they have beaten us recent times) and then if we beat them it would be Longford last Saturday in final...thats was what we should have been aiming at..after that the league..sitting idle now last 2 weeks..

Superhans75
All Star
Club: Birr

Post by Superhans75 »

I agree about going effectively 3 weeks with
Out a game time
Challenge games are ok but the O'Byrne cup is a chance of winning something.
Winning is great habit no matter what it is ..

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Exactly..

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

said I de give this a go this year again and see how it goes..predictions.
Allianz FL Division 3 round 1

Clare v Sligo - Cusack Park, Ennis, 2pm - Sligo do appear to be that bit ahead of Clare here, hard to say that considering CLare beat Cork in championship last summer, any other year or old format that was a result that wouldnt fade from memory outside Clare, too many games now in ways, and such results get undone a week later (little break time) and normal service is resumed. Clare have had alot of upheaval since, in management and retirements and players taking time out..Sligo should win, but Clare are at home..one never knows...Sligo 1-15, Clare 0-14

Offaly v Westmeath, Glenisk O'Connor Park, 2pm - this will be an interesting game - what sort of team will Offaly field, will we "go for the game" or play conservatively like other seasons, hopefully not..Westmeath might be a bit ahead of us as of now..we are at home but does that count playing Westmeath...Ill go with Westmeath...Westmeath 0-15 Offaly 0-12 (draw a possibility if the scoring is lower)

Wicklow v Down, Aughrim, 2pm - big season for Down, can they build on last season when the steadied the ship somewhat, Wicklow, we just dont know, we dont see or hear much from them in the main, at home here will be up for big day one performance, but Down should prevail - Down 1-15 Wicklow -0-12

Limerick v Antrim, Rathkeale, 12.30pm - I know its a fair spin between the 2 counties, dont like these 12.30 throw in though...Limerick are a steady side hard to beat at home, got a fair hiding from Kerry in Munster and not much impression there after...Antrim always capable of playing lovely football and running up decent scores, always a good sign of a team trying to play football, a bit journey to Limerick, Antrim though might have a score or two more here...Antrim0-16 Limerick 0-14 (or a draw)

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

A more youthful starting team than any of us could have imagined, best of luck to them but I fancy Westmeath to win this comfortably.

I presume Declan Hogan, Jack Mcevoy and Cian Donohoe are all injured. Peter Cunningham mustn’t be fit either and Dylan Hyland is suspended.

Hogan, Cunningham and Hyland are three of our best players. Westmeath are missing three of their best in John Heslin, Kevin Maguire and Sam Duncan but I still think they have a lot more experience and physicality than we have in our ranks.
Attachments
AAE84E0F-D1C7-41B1-BC75-D0CF074DC960.jpeg
AAE84E0F-D1C7-41B1-BC75-D0CF074DC960.jpeg (166.34 KiB) Viewed 1814 times

pigeon house biffo
All Star
Club: Rynagh

Post by pigeon house biffo »

First of the year soft day
My own thoughts
No deccie hogan , jack mcevoy and ruairi mac not starting
Feels like the dawn of a new era

Lets get a bit of chat going round this lads, feels like this is a team we can all get behind. Been asking to freshen things up for years and we have it now.
Attachments
IMG_0244.jpeg
IMG_0244.jpeg (341.35 KiB) Viewed 1811 times

faithfulfanatic
All Star
Club: Coolderry

Post by faithfulfanatic »

pigeon house biffo wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:44 pm First of the year soft day
My own thoughts
No deccie hogan , jack mcevoy and ruairi mac not starting
Feels like the dawn of a new era

Lets get a bit of chat going round this lads, feels like this is a team we can all get behind. Been asking to freshen things up for years and we have it now.
Pearson, Egan, Furlong, Donoghue, Flynn, Egan all 22 years of age.
Cian Farrell and Jack O’Brien are 24.
Not sure what age Aidan Bracken is but he’s also young, haven’t seen much of him before.
Missing Dylan Hyland, Declan Hogan, McEvoy and Ruairi Mc on bench.
Plenty of youngsters on the bench too (McDaid, Finnernan, Tynan, O’Neill, Bryant, Kellaghan, McDermott).

Lots of negativity about Offaly football at present, but there is a lot to get excited about there.

Hopefully those young lads are the backbone of this team for the next decade.
There is lots of talk here about how good teams like Sligo and Westmeath are.
Let’s not forget that it’s our youngsters with the All Ireland medals in the back pockets.

JimBwobb
All Star

Post by JimBwobb »

Any of know if the following are involved in the panel this year?

Bill Carroll
Chilly Donnelly
Cian Donohue
Nigel Bracken
Conor Mc Namee
Oisin Keenan Martin

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

JimBwobb wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:16 pm Any of know if the following are involved in the panel this year?

Bill Carroll
Chilly Donnelly
Cian Donohue
Nigel Bracken
Conor Mc Namee
Oisin Keenan Martin
Donnelly is abroad, McNamee isn’t in and I believe Keenan Martin is injured.

Doesn’t seem like Carroll is in, unsure on Donohoe or Bracken.

JimBwobb
All Star

Post by JimBwobb »

Anonymous1 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:38 pm
JimBwobb wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:16 pm Any of know if the following are involved in the panel this year?

Bill Carroll
Chilly Donnelly
Cian Donohue
Nigel Bracken
Conor Mc Namee
Oisin Keenan Martin
Donnelly is abroad, McNamee isn’t in and I believe Keenan Martin is injured.

Doesn’t seem like Carroll is in, unsure on Donohoe or Bracken.
Okay, more strength in depth we have the better.