Offaly Senior A Hurling Championship 2023

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.

Name the 4 semi finalists

KK
25%
Rynaghs
24%
Birr
5%
Tullamore
No votes
Kinnitty
1%
Shinrone
14%
Belmont
20%
Ballinamere
9%
Coolderry
2%
Seir Kieran
No votes

Total votes: 100

Fairplayalways
All Star

Re: Offaly Senior A Hurling Championship 2023

Post by Fairplayalways »

No one including myself seen that collapse by Shinrone..we all had abit of fear of a "Kk Response" having lost a few finals there..hats off to them..Shinrone will know they didn't play as they can and that will be hard on them..Kk being talked up abit for Leinster I see..not so sure..a young team in Leinster will ask serious questions of them especially their older players..that said they are right to be confident..someone saying Wexford champions are idle 3 months is pushing it a bit now to be fair..

Superhans75
All Star
Club: Birr

Post by Superhans75 »

Well done birr on a great day but the hurling
Was as my father said to me yesterday.Was
In a different Parrish .
Roll on January

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Fairplayalways wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:04 pm No one including myself seen that collapse by Shinrone..we all had abit of fear of a "Kk Response" having lost a few finals there..hats off to them..Shinrone will know they didn't play as they can and that will be hard on them..Kk being talked up abit for Leinster I see..not so sure..a young team in Leinster will ask serious questions of them especially their older players..that said they are right to be confident..someone saying Wexford champions are idle 3 months is pushing it a bit now to be fair..
Wexford final 20th of August, next game, 11th of November.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Superhans75 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:52 pm Well done birr on a great day but the hurling
Was as my father said to me yesterday.Was
In a different Parrish .
Roll on January
Different level certainly. Mundy probably played more than poor Shinrone yesterday. I really hope they can come back from yesterday’s big defeat, and compete in Offaly hurling championship.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

private joker wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:57 pm
Fairplayalways wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:04 pm No one including myself seen that collapse by Shinrone..we all had abit of fear of a "Kk Response" having lost a few finals there..hats off to them..Shinrone will know they didn't play as they can and that will be hard on them..Kk being talked up abit for Leinster I see..not so sure..a young team in Leinster will ask serious questions of them especially their older players..that said they are right to be confident..someone saying Wexford champions are idle 3 months is pushing it a bit now to be fair..
ah I see by the time they play Kilcormac it will be 3 months almost...begs the question what all the rush about playing games is all about...nice to have a break but say Birr/Shinrone should that have went to a replaly and then extra time if necessary...before any one starts I dont want to hear these were the rules agreed at the start of the year by county board...Ime just saying when one looks back could we have had another game between Birr and Shinrone...whether the players wanted to get a result on the day is a separate issue...

faithfulfanatic
All Star
Club: Coolderry

Post by faithfulfanatic »

Fairplayalways wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:36 pm
private joker wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:57 pm
ah I see by the time they play Kilcormac it will be 3 months almost...begs the question what all the rush about playing games is all about...nice to have a break but say Birr/Shinrone should that have went to a replaly and then extra time if necessary...before any one starts I dont want to hear these were the rules agreed at the start of the year by county board...Ime just saying when one looks back could we have had another game between Birr and Shinrone...whether the players wanted to get a result on the day is a separate issue...
It’s nice for the players involved and everyone else to have a timeframe in place for when the championship begins and ends, for holidays, work commitments and everything else.

If you have no draw games, then the championship runs on time.

If there’s a quarter and a semi drawn, then the championship takes another 3-4 weeks to be played.

I struggle to think of another sport where draws and replays are more loved.

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

+1 on the winner on the day rule apart from finals. In a dual county it just has to be that way. Fair enough in the example of Birr and Shinrone, where they don’t care about the other code but lots of clubs do, and I’d prefer rules to be aligned to help dual code clubs field teams.

We’ll done to KK. Hard on Shinrone to lose in such a way but they’d still rather be in the final than up
On the terrace looking at it.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Yesterday’s attendance saw an increase of 20% on the 2022 attendance and a 240% increase on the 2021 attendance.

Give or take an extra €24,000 for the CB on gate receipts from last year.

Probably not a sufficient enough increase to bring it back to SBP on a more regular basis but a substantial jump nonetheless.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

frankthetank wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:30 pm Yesterday’s attendance saw an increase of 20% on the 2022 attendance and a 240% increase on the 2021 attendance.

Give or take an extra €24,000 for the CB on gate receipts from last year.

Probably not a sufficient enough increase to bring it back to SBP on a more regular basis but a substantial jump nonetheless.
I don't think referencing 2021 is fair comparison as the country was still in panic over Covid so lots of people were still steering clear of crowded events.
Also this year there was a novelty factor involved with it being in Birr and a massive push by clubs, the county board and media figures to get people out to go.......It would be great if they'd do that every year regardless of venue!
Anyway, Birr was in very good order yesterday nobody can dispute that.

Now can anyone honestly explain on what earth happened Shinrone yesterday?
They were like a bunch of lads that had never played together before and had been on the beer Saturday night.
Had they a hard training session Sunday morning at 9am perhaps?
Joking aside they could get nothing to work either as individuals or as a team. Management seemed stunned into inaction.
It took 41 whole minutes to bring on a sub.....in a game going so badly astray that makes no sense to me.
It'll be interesting to see what the lasting impact of that will be on them. To say they will be vulnerable next year will be an understatement.
Well done KK, they were utterly ruthless yesterday and would great to see them win a Leinster.......they have a lot going for them.
Interesting to see what new faces appear on the Offaly senior panel now that the year is done.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Be some achievement for kk to win leinster. Lot of good teams in that competition.
Find it very unusual why there was such social media pushing of the SBP venue, the parade been done, entertainment etc. That should be done regardless of the venue. Waa anything of the like done at the football final? That's surely down to the county board to facilitate.

On Rte it was announced that 8k turn up for the game. It was less than 7k?

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

private joker wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:50 pm Be some achievement for kk to win leinster. Lot of good teams in that competition.
Find it very unusual why there was such social media pushing of the SBP venue, the parade been done, entertainment etc. That should be done regardless of the venue. Waa anything of the like done at the football final? That's surely down to the county board to facilitate.

On Rte it was announced that 8k turn up for the game. It was less than 7k?
No parade at the football decider. It was a miserable wet day, but the County Final is a special occasion, worthy of a parade at least. Clara Town Band performed on the day, and were always entertaining. The music seems to have been dropped in recent years.

The attendance in Birr yesterday was just under 6,400 I read somewhere. The place looked full to me, looking from the town end terrace.

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

Having watched the highlights on TG4 it looked like 3 of the goals were severely impacted by the astro turf in the goals. The Kk 3rd goal was a direct result of an unnatural hop off the surface and spin, while the 2 Shinrone frees looked to take unusual bounces off the surface that deceived the defense. It made no difference to the outcome but I’d hate for a final to be decided by that.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

It was announced 6900 over the PA.
Birr club reached out to get a band for the county final.
Ocp event manager did not get a band last few years he was too busy looking at rules to make sure the county final wasn't held in Birr. :lol:

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Only catching up on this now. I have a few projects going on and haven’t had a chance to assess the County final.
Firstly, huge credit to the Birr club. Massive voluntary effort by so many, and the wonderful community spirit around the St Brendan’s Park club is so evident. They have set the bar now for the occasion a county final should be. Not just in Offaly, but nationwide.

As for the match. Kilcormac-Killoughey got so much right. Criticised for never wining a final at the venue, they took a leaf from the All-Blacks. Hungry and ruthless right from the throw-in. How hurling should be played. When Birr were out for revenge over Coolderry in 2005, they won 0-20 to 0-5. It is a measure of Kilcormac’s dominance that they led something like 1-17 to 0-5 by half-time on Sunday.

It will make K-K’s transition that bit easier going forward, as Damien Kilmartin, Conor Mahon and James Gorman give way to Ter Guinan, Leigh Kavanagh and the rest, coming onto a winning team. Notable that when they gave the five subs a run, it was to the veterans they turned. The teenagers have time on their side. But interesting to see how they line out in Leinster next month.

Unreal goal by Charlie Mitchell too. It was only on TV I realised he had one hand on the hurl when striking.

Tough to take for Shinrone. But next year is far enough away to winter and get it out of the system, and close enough that they can stick together and go again.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Shinrone looking for a new manager.