U20 hurlers 23

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
joe bloggs
All Star

Re: U20 hurlers 23

Post by joe bloggs »

I think the only difference in price is just 5 euro cheaper on the adult ticket.

With a capacity of around 45k for Thurles some people probably thought it would be no bother to get a stand ticket not realising the way the tickets were only selling first for the stands.
'if your not part of the solution, your part of the problem' J. McClean

Faithful Future
Junior B

Post by Faithful Future »

Cannot wait for this one.
Yet again, regardless of the result, this team has inspired a generation of children from Offaly.

Do we have any word on injuries? Are Miller and Rigney available for selection? I'm really looking forward to seeing how all of our forwards light it up this Sunday - we really have some good options up front.

Have no doubts, this Cork team are strong and it sounds like they are confident.
But we also have a special team with speed,skill and most importantly brilliant work-rate. I think this is going to be nip and tuck - a scorcher in Thurles.. all Ireland final day.. 15k Faithful supporters getting behind this special team who no doubt will give it their all. Does it get any better?

Our 16th man will be needed for 60+ minutes to get behind our lads and give them the Faithful roar to help get over the line.

Uibh Fhailí abú

timber
All Star

Post by timber »

Read an interview with Cork captain Michael Mullins. He scored a cracking goal in the munster final.

The thing that struck me was an exceptional level of confidence. Some will say arrogance. I dunno if it is but it did strike me as the belief that they feel they are better.

"That's in the past now. We're looking forward to June 4. It's an All-Ireland final and we want to win that as well. Everything that has happened to us, all the challenges that we dealt with in the past, they've made us stronger and every fella is after getting better.

"We're just trying to take all that and put it in on June 4th. Hopefully, we come out on the right side again. I believe we should. I'm not undermining Offaly or anything, but if we just focus on ourselves and do what we do best, we'll have a good chance."

Theres no question about it, the county of Cork expect to win this and would be shocked if they did'nt.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Cork at the worst of times are confident in themselves. They do have a very good team, alot of college players and senior club players. It is a real David vs Golith situation. Cork have a full pick which they didn't have up to now due to the 6/7 day rule.

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by ah lethimoutwithit »

timber wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:33 am Read an interview with Cork captain Michael Mullins. He scored a cracking goal in the munster final.

The thing that struck me was an exceptional level of confidence. Some will say arrogance. I dunno if it is but it did strike me as the belief that they feel they are better.

"That's in the past now. We're looking forward to June 4. It's an All-Ireland final and we want to win that as well. Everything that has happened to us, all the challenges that we dealt with in the past, they've made us stronger and every fella is after getting better.

"We're just trying to take all that and put it in on June 4th. Hopefully, we come out on the right side again. I believe we should. I'm not undermining Offaly or anything, but if we just focus on ourselves and do what we do best, we'll have a good chance."

Theres no question about it, the county of Cork expect to win this and would be shocked if they did'nt.
It's refreshing to read that rather than the nonsense that spews from senior players around how "it was nip and tuck", and " we stuck with the process", "sorry, could you explain that process to us?"...."Eh no cause the manager told me not to tell you anything"...shite.
The young lad is confident, he has not had Offaly on his radar and they are being told that if they hurl to the maximum they will win, which is most likely the way of it. Point is, most teams rarely hurl to their best in a final, often it comes down to the least number of mistakes and that word COMPOSURE. if our lads can find a way to knock Cork off their stride, if we have 5 lads making an impact off the bench on a warm day, if our lads feel the support of the big crowd rather than the pressure of the moans and groans when ya don't bate it 90 yds....and take opportunities to go for the jugular when the chance arises, then we can disrupt the flow that they hope to achieve.

G91
County player
Club: Ferbane

Post by G91 »

This nonsense of saying supporters are moaning because we not launching up the field is a disrespectful thing to be saying about the people that fill the stands and terrace there's be very little if any I dudbt witness it in the terrace vs wexford nor a hole lot if it in tullamore, this narrative is stupid and exceptionally stupid considering how the holee place got behind

A. The team when Charlie got sent off
B. when Adam missed a free there was loads of encouragement

And finally similar support when the backs didn't win an easy ball ( there was non) or missed a pass

Cork are confident why wouldn't they ,

So we're Galway dublin and wexford, they may have players back but that means nothing if they haven't played as part if the under 20 team the hole championship

Offaly will give it there all and are a great example to every up and coming sports person

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by ah lethimoutwithit »

Plenty of it v Dublin in the minor, and fair few in Croker last Sunday.
But anyway, I stand corrected!

One word, COMPOSURE, maybe thats better , on all fronts!

G91
County player

Post by G91 »

I agree wasn't the best of atmosphere from offaly at the senior felt outnumbered too hoping for a majority offaly support on Sunday , there doesn't seem to be much respect towards offaly coming from cork I'm getting the vibe that they think they have it won without the ball even been thrown in

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

An old one, but you heard about the Cork man who had an inferiority complex- the thought he was the same as everybody else.
timber wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:33 am Read an interview with Cork captain Michael Mullins. He scored a cracking goal in the munster final.

Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

but if we just focus on ourselves and do what we do best, we'll have a good chance.
How dare anyone say that! I am outraged! I mean to think that he could say that they "have a good chance".

Let's get a grip here folks. No wonder the players are told to say nothing.

G91
County player

Post by G91 »

I've seen comment on the echo on Facebook where someone broke down the cork team player by player absolute bonkers

And he started off with something like offaly won't be a challenge

Its more thier support are arrogant other than optimistic

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

That's grand. Let them think that. Place for Offaly to do their talking is on the field on Sunday.
G91 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:08 pm I've seen comment on the echo on Facebook where someone broke down the cork team player by player absolute bonkers

And he started off with something like offaly won't be a challenge

Its more thier support are arrogant other than optimistic
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

G91 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:34 pm This nonsense of saying supporters are moaning because we not launching up the field is a disrespectful thing to be saying about the people that fill the stands and terrace there's be very little if any I dudbt witness it in the terrace vs wexford nor a hole lot if it in tullamore, this narrative is stupid and exceptionally stupid considering how the holee place got behind

A. The team when Charlie got sent off
B. when Adam missed a free there was loads of encouragement

And finally similar support when the backs didn't win an easy ball ( there was non) or missed a pass

Cork are confident why wouldn't they ,

So we're Galway dublin and wexford, they may have players back but that means nothing if they haven't played as part if the under 20 team the hole championship

Offaly will give it there all and are a great example to every up and coming sports person
Didn't think offaly would beat Galway, that Dublin team were bet by westmeath at minor and paddy doyle was unavailable due to been a started for their senior team. For me, Offaly were slight favourites vs wexford. Cork are very good and it will one of the greatest victories of any team if offaly were to win. The teams are equally matched skill wise but I think we will really see the difference from about 45 minutes when fatigue sets in. Cork are older and look physically bigger and faster. In interview with Leo o connor he did say that the munster championship was played at a higher level of speed. Sunday will be an interesting game to watch to see how it plays out.

faithfulfanatic
All Star
Club: Coolderry

Post by faithfulfanatic »

Isn’t it great to go into a game like this as massive underdogs.
Hopefully the lads don’t feel under too much pressure, they have already exceeded expectations for the year and hopefully this allows them to relax and express themselves on Sunday, because they are a wonderfully talented bunch.
By the talk going round, Shane Rigney will be ready but Ben Miller won’t be? Ruairi Kelly also seems to be back in contention.
Barry Egan the only one brought in last day.
Warm day in Semple against a physical Cork team, we will need at least 3-4 subs brought in.. Egan, Hoctor, Kelly, Rigney?
Although the last day against Wexford, it would have been very hard to bring anyone in as the team were playing so well.
Very excited every time I go and watch this team, the cuteness of Brecon, the laser puck outs from Troy that always have us worried and yet more often that not drop perfectly to the man, the glue tight marking of Taaffe, the rock solid Watkins, the engines and long scoring ability of King and Spain, the aerial ability and striking of Ravenhill, the athleticism of Doyle, the speed and hard work of Egan, the ability to pop up with clutch points of Dan Bourke, the swagger and ability of Mitchell and the absolute magic of Adam Screeney. I wonder how many people are going on Sunday to see him alone. All the talk will be about him naturally and I hope to God that we see some more of his insane ability.
Hopefully the massive Offaly support can effect the game and be worth a few points.
Uibh Fhaili abú.

Doon Exile
All Star

Post by Doon Exile »

faithfulfanatic wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:39 am Isn’t it great to go into a game like this as massive underdogs.
Hopefully the lads don’t feel under too much pressure, they have already exceeded expectations for the year and hopefully this allows them to relax and express themselves on Sunday, because they are a wonderfully talented bunch.
By the talk going round, Shane Rigney will be ready but Ben Miller won’t be? Ruairi Kelly also seems to be back in contention.
Barry Egan the only one brought in last day.
Warm day in Semple against a physical Cork team, we will need at least 3-4 subs brought in.. Egan, Hoctor, Kelly, Rigney?
Although the last day against Wexford, it would have been very hard to bring anyone in as the team were playing so well.
Very excited every time I go and watch this team, the cuteness of Brecon, the laser puck outs from Troy that always have us worried and yet more often that not drop perfectly to the man, the glue tight marking of Taaffe, the rock solid Watkins, the engines and long scoring ability of King and Spain, the aerial ability and striking of Ravenhill, the athleticism of Doyle, the speed and hard work of Egan, the ability to pop up with clutch points of Dan Bourke, the swagger and ability of Mitchell and the absolute magic of Adam Screeney. I wonder how many people are going on Sunday to see him alone. All the talk will be about him naturally and I hope to God that we see some more of his insane ability.
Hopefully the massive Offaly support can effect the game and be worth a few points.
Uibh Fhaili abú.
Great post. Jayus looking forward to Sunday more than anything.
Doon exile....