Offaly Senior Hurlers 2023

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
SearingDrive
All Star

Re: Offaly Senior Hurlers 2023

Post by SearingDrive »

Kerry beat Carlow today by 2 points. Kildare won by a point v Down. The game v Kerry will be a vital game, the winners will top the table. There could be some tight games ahead in the group.

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

SearingDrive wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 6:38 pm Kerry beat Carlow today by 2 points. Kildare won by a point v Down. The game v Kerry will be a vital game, the winners will top the table. There could be some tight games ahead in the group.
The winners of us vs Kerry mightn’t necessarily top the group. Kildare beat Carlow by 13 last week and will be formidable opponents too and Carlow have had our number in recent years so there’s a number of potential banana skins remaining

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

If we want goals put Oisin kelly inside with lads beside him so he can pass it too. Against wexford we had one man inside their 65 hard get goals playing that way.

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Agree regarding Kelly. He would be huge threat inside with goal scoring threat and ball winning ability. We have other lads that'll work as wing forwards. We are not maximising Kellly in my opinion - he is possibly our most potent forward. Did very well at full forward few years ago before getting injured. Gives inside line a focal point that we don't have currently. Points are grand but we should be getting at least two goals against most teams at this level.

Surprised Brian Duignan and Eimhin Kelly not featuring much to date. Both as good as what's there and strong physically. Maybe injury issues or not training well. Re Cahill, surprised about him too. To be fair, he is class forward, and better weather will suit. Offaly may have been trying lads out today that they may not be trying in coming games. Given who we have left, expect us to have best team out for remaining games which will give us good idea of what management are thinking for championship.

Not exactly rocket science but think it will fall between two from Kildare Kerry and Offaly with possibly Down or Carlow having impact on which two it is. Carlow appear to be gone back a bit from where they were but as we've learned to our cost, if they get their best players on pitch at same time, they are capable of beating anyone in this level. Big loss to Kildare and loss to Kerry will not sit well with them so I'd be very wary of a reaction from them when we play them, particularly now as they are in danger of relegation if they lose to us.
jimbob

Superhans75
All Star
Club: Birr

Post by Superhans75 »

Reasonable performance hopefully we will keep a clean goal sheet and actually score some .
Weather is to change next week so could have a big effect on
The up coming games?
Hopefully the Kerry game will be moved to 1pm so we can all get back for the footballers the following day

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

jimbob17 wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:52 pm Not exactly rocket science but think it will fall between two from Kildare Kerry and Offaly with possibly Down or Carlow having impact on which two it is.
Here's the thing.....the inside of the back cover of todays programme states that the 1st placed team are into the final on the 1st or 2nd of April and that teams 2 and 3 play a semi final on the 25th of March.
Thats news to me, I wasn't aware of that until today so now there are 3 places up for grabs. Actually I think it's a good idea, means there is still plenty to play for.

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

bracknaghboy wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:21 pm
jimbob17 wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:52 pm Not exactly rocket science but think it will fall between two from Kildare Kerry and Offaly with possibly Down or Carlow having impact on which two it is.
Here's the thing.....the inside of the back cover of todays programme states that the 1st placed team are into the final on the 1st or 2nd of April and that teams 2 and 3 play a semi final on the 25th of March.
Thats news to me, I wasn't aware of that until today so now there are 3 places up for grabs. Actually I think it's a good idea, means there is still plenty to play for.
It’s a great idea…if we finish 3rd

Disgrace of an idea should we wind up 2nd…

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Knowing Offaly there will be something that will allow us finish 3rd and still possibly win promotion..an absolute farce if that's the case.. 1st place team should be crowned division champions and promoted, 2nd place gets promoted, none of this ould tinkering around with places..as regards who starts where, name me a forward Offaly have (outside of frees) that will knock on 1-03 (minimum) from play and if that player is held or having an off day some other player will step up..other counties have them, we don't..we don't even have the rare purple patch day when one player hits 2-05 or so from play, not doing it at this level then is proof of the pudding as the saying goes..

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Offaly had a lot of wides in the first half. Should have had at least one goal in first half and one more in 2nd half. When the game was obviously in the bag you'd think the players would try and open up the defence. Derry were very good in first half but faded badly there after. Offaly have it all to do to win the league and can't see offaly winning joe mcdonagh.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Fairplayalways wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:41 am Knowing Offaly there will be something that will allow us finish 3rd and still possibly win promotion..an absolute farce if that's the case.. 1st place team should be crowned division champions and promoted, 2nd place gets promoted, none of this ould tinkering around with places..as regards who starts where, name me a forward Offaly have (outside of frees) that will knock on 1-03 (minimum) from play and if that player is held or having an off day some other player will step up..other counties have them, we don't..we don't even have the rare purple patch day when one player hits 2-05 or so from play, not doing it at this level then is proof of the pudding as the saying goes..
It was the exact same format as last year. Westmeath had to navigate a semi final before playing Down in the final who had already topped the group.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

same last year or not does not mean the system is fair or correct, what incentive is there for a team that can possibly win all their games and yet not get promoted, let alone be crowned divisional champions...if they are down that road, make more of a meal out of it and mix division 2b in with division 2 A, split the teams between the 2 divisions, top of each division goes into a semifinal and 2nd place teams play off a semi final maybe and then one final...toppinng your division and still having to play teams again you already beat probably to eventually get promoted is unfair and is making a mountain out of a molehill trying to add a bit of glory or something to it..2 divsions 2's playing out for divison 2 champions sounds fairer or soemthing along those lines...

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

frankthetank wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:32 am
It was the exact same format as last year. Westmeath had to navigate a semi final before playing Down in the final who had already topped the group.
My bad Frank you are correct it was the same last year.
I don't think it is a particularly unfair system especially when there are just 5 rounds involved.
It seems the 2nd placed team get home advantage in the semi final.
I think the 1st placed team should be at home for the final as well but the GAA don't roll that way I'm afraid.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

As I suggested if it's down to semifinals in a league, the 2 divisions should be mixed with so called stronger and weaker teams and then play semi finals with top teams going straight through and 2nd and 3rd playing off for other two spots in each division.. 5 league games and possibly win them all and then face into a play off now is abit of a farce and lose then against a team who has possibly lost two games or so and your out having lost one game🤔🤔..making games for the sake of it if you ask me..

Lookingovertheditch
Junior C

Post by Lookingovertheditch »

I think having 3 places up for grabs is a good idea. It makes the league section less cut throat and gives teams a chance to develop players. Finish in top 3 and then you have 2 possible knock out games to earn promotion before a crack at the Joe McDonagh. Nothing wrong with the system.

Divisions 1A and B are far worse with teams like Antrim, Westmeath and Laois being routinely set-up to receive hidings just so the top teams have no threat of relegation.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

regardless of 5 teams, winner of division should be promoted automatically, 2nd and 3rd can play for a second promotion spot..