League & Championship hurling 2022

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Dodge83
All Star

Re: League & Championship hurling 2022

Post by Dodge83 »

kingscounty wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:34 pm Yeah only won one game in the group, C&R second team so wouldn’t get to carried away
Seen them lose to Crinkill junior B’s in the league this year after being 8 points up at one stage. Couple of good hurlers but I’d be surprised if they go any further. No disrespect but not good enough to win it out.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Dodge83 wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:56 pm
kingscounty wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:34 pm Yeah only won one game in the group, C&R second team so wouldn’t get to carried away
Seen them lose to Crinkill junior B’s in the league this year after being 8 points up at one stage. Couple of good hurlers but I’d be surprised if they go any further. No disrespect but not good enough to win it out.
Correct and right, but then again sometimes the best teams don’t always win, anything can happen on any given day

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

A few thoughts on the beaten quarter-finalists:

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Ballinamere were never really in it against Birr. Which was no surprise, they need to find a bit to get to that level. No need to panic, time is on their side.

The day came when St Rynagh’s were flat. It was coming, I just didn’t think it would happen against Shinrone. Their team is backboned by the generation who won Minor finals in 2009 and 2010 (Clancy, Camon, Treacy, O’Connor, Stephen Quirke, Lyons, Dolan, Niall Wynne). A few are older, but not by much – Hernon, Stephen Wynne, Kelly, Shortt, Garry Conneely.

But of those who are younger than the class of 2009 & ’10, Ben Conneely and Mattie Maloney have been regulars since 2016, and since then, really only Ronan Hughes, Aaron Kenny and Luke O’Connor have consistently pushed for starting places. That, and their last win in the U21/U20 grade were wins over Shamrocks and Na Fianna in 2017. They’re not an old team, but there’s a distinct lack of freshness.

Last Sunday might be the beginning of the breakup of that team that won four Senior finals in the 2016 – 2021 era. To stay at the top, they need more the three in five years to be pushing through. That, and the vast majority of a St Rynagh’s underage team now contains the vast majority from outside the town, whether from Coolfin, Park or Cloghan. Which is a break in tradition, when a typical Rynagh’s team had about 10 from the town, with really just the Moylans, Horans, Rigneys, Hanamys and Mulhares from outside their catchment area’s centre of population.

Is there a trend nowadays that Irish families tend to be rural based, even in a parish with a big population centre such as Banagher? Is that why Birr and Gracefield (for example) are struggling? Is that why Kilcormac-Killoughey appear set to dominate for the next decade, while Ballinamere-Durrow are making strides?
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Tmacmahon
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Tmacmahon »

Hurling week here we come

Birr v KK
Belmont v shinrone

I asked earlier in the year can Belmont realistically do it ,
Let’s see I keep changing my mind on this . Heart says Belmont and birr final

But ,

I believe we will see,Birr champions 2022. And in birr terms that’s a famine of sorts well based on the unprecedented success of last 30 years, is 08 last win?? Have that feeling and who wouldn’t like to see our most famous hurling club rise again. I like what bugler has done there. Won division 1 league. Yes they were poor in first few games but against ballinamere they looked like a team who have timed the run perfectly.
Last edited by Tmacmahon on Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dodge83
All Star

Post by Dodge83 »

Tmacmahon wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 6:55 pm who wouldn’t like to see our most famous hurling club rise again.

I’d imagine there is plenty who wouldn’t like to see them rise again 🙈. But it’s hard to look past them or Kk to win it out now. I’m going for a Kk vs Shinrone final. And dare I say it Shinrone to win !!! Then again I’m prob completely wrong 🤷🏻‍♂️😂

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

By my estimation 9 guys who possibly will see game time for Belmont next Saturday played at some stage yesterday. Some for the full 80.

Not ideal preparation. Opportunity knocks for Shinrone.

JimBwobb
All Star

Post by JimBwobb »

Does Leon Foxs red card yesterday rule him out of the hurling semi final ?

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

JimBwobb wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:13 pm Does Leon Foxs red card yesterday rule him out of the hurling semi final ?
No. Definitely not.

Onionbag
All Star
Club: Durrow

Post by Onionbag »

Tmacmahon wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 6:55 pm Hurling week here we come

Birr v KK
Belmont v shinrone

I asked earlier in the year can Belmont realistically do it ,
Let’s see I keep changing my mind on this . Heart says Belmont and birr final

But ,

I believe we will see,Birr champions 2022. And in birr terms that’s a famine of sorts well based on the unprecedented success of last 30 years, is 08 last win?? Have that feeling and who wouldn’t like to see our most famous hurling club rise again. I like what bugler has done there. Won division 1 league. Yes they were poor in first few games but against ballinamere they looked like a team who have timed the run perfectly.
Kilcormac v Shinrone final for me.

Onionbag
All Star
Club: Durrow

Re: A few thoughts on the beaten quarter-finalists:

Post by Onionbag »

Plain of the Herbs wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:33 am Ballinamere were never really in it against Birr. Which was no surprise, they need to find a bit to get to that level. No need to panic, time is on their side.

The day came when St Rynagh’s were flat. It was coming, I just didn’t think it would happen against Shinrone. Their team is backboned by the generation who won Minor finals in 2009 and 2010 (Clancy, Camon, Treacy, O’Connor, Stephen Quirke, Lyons, Dolan, Niall Wynne). A few are older, but not by much – Hernon, Stephen Wynne, Kelly, Shortt, Garry Conneely.

But of those who are younger than the class of 2009 & ’10, Ben Conneely and Mattie Maloney have been regulars since 2016, and since then, really only Ronan Hughes, Aaron Kenny and Luke O’Connor have consistently pushed for starting places. That, and their last win in the U21/U20 grade were wins over Shamrocks and Na Fianna in 2017. They’re not an old team, but there’s a distinct lack of freshness.

Last Sunday might be the beginning of the breakup of that team that won four Senior finals in the 2016 – 2021 era. To stay at the top, they need more the three in five years to be pushing through. That, and the vast majority of a St Rynagh’s underage team now contains the vast majority from outside the town, whether from Coolfin, Park or Cloghan. Which is a break in tradition, when a typical Rynagh’s team had about 10 from the town, with really just the Moylans, Horans, Rigneys, Hanamys and Mulhares from outside their catchment area’s centre of population.

Is there a trend nowadays that Irish families tend to be rural based, even in a parish with a big population centre such as Banagher? Is that why Birr and Gracefield (for example) are struggling? Is that why Kilcormac-Killoughey appear set to dominate for the next decade, while Ballinamere-Durrow are making strides?
I think they were missing a lot throughout the year Dolan Treacy O'Connor and Hughes at various stages... Injuries to Quirke too.. Maybe hunger was lacking.. I don't know. Ballinamere on the other hand unfortunately never got going and are better than what was shown against Birr. As you rightly said youth on their side. They will learn from the experience.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

I am not sure if Ballinamere are any stronger than they ever were if I am been honest. Other than Duignan V Birr there county hurlers were very ordinary and I think its more teams coming back to the pack rather than them hugely improving.

Birr v KK is a 50/50 game they played twice this year both games there was very little in. Birr won the league final by 4 or 5 points and I felt kk look a little bit behing them on the road to winning the county final. As mentioned before the 1st round was a disaster with a proper shower of rain for the full game kk edged by one point.

Bemont will beat Shinrone I thought they were poor v Rynaghs but still got the win but cant see how they turn around there last match.

Hasselhoff
All Star

Post by Hasselhoff »

It's set up for Birr to win it.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

I cannot see how its set up for Birr to win it, with Rynaghs gone KK are deserving favourites without being spectacular still topped their group, maybe they are timing their run too, lots of young players on the fringes now too, Birr certainly have a great chance now they are there for sure, but KK will be out to right the wrongs of the last 2 years, and last years semi final in particular when they ran out of time against Rynaghs..I just think KK will get over Birr by a couple of scores or so.

Belmont V Shinrone - surely Shinrone after beating Rynaghs and getting a fair beating in the group game will be up for this with a chance of first final appearance since 1960. If as some predict Birr beat KK, Shinrone wouldnt fear Birr that much in a final, but thats for another day, they have Belmont first. Interesting to see what team Belmont start, this will surely be a tighter game than the group game, Shinrone have a big scalp taken in the knockout stages for once, and will now know what is required. Belmont seemed the form team all along, though some of their games were lacklustre too by all accounts. this is where it has to be done now, no second chance, I think Belmont can do it, but will not be surprised too much if Shinrone have a good day out which if they have, they might sneaak it, it wont be the stroll of the group game thats for sure.

seany123
Junior B
Club: Junior

Post by seany123 »

Belmont will be a hard team to beat, they will be delighted Rynas are gone and they have Shinrone in a semi final, they fully believe this is their chance, and now no football final to consume them either.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

The only team who can have the perception of “losing” this championship is K/K. They are most people’s favourites to win it out as of now and at worst were ranked #2 before the championship started.

The 3 other teams will all fancy their respective chances but putting it simply, if K/K produce 2 consecutive 100% performances they win the championship.