League & Championship hurling 2022

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Fairplayalways
All Star

Re: League & Championship hurling 2022

Post by Fairplayalways »

jimbob17 wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 7:03 pm Likely it was not written in the rules. They must follow stated rules. Would make sense to add in to rules that where provision can be made to avoid teams from same group meeting in semi, draw is not made and teams play winner of opposite group in a semi.
I would love to see them rules, even an open draw if provided for, surely the provision if possible to avoid rematches BEFORE a final would be factored in, seems a bit odd having rematches when and where they could be avoided, alot are inferrring "one new team will be in the final" and that is all very well too but I hope the system was not so to make sure that would happen given the results, look I think it was open draw, and so be it if it is/was, just pity to have rematches so soon where they were clearly avoidable after the results of the weekend.

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Fairplayalways wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:59 pm
jimbob17 wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 7:03 pm Likely it was not written in the rules. They must follow stated rules. Would make sense to add in to rules that where provision can be made to avoid teams from same group meeting in semi, draw is not made and teams play winner of opposite group in a semi.
I would love to see them rules, even an open draw if provided for, surely the provision if possible to avoid rematches BEFORE a final would be factored in, seems a bit odd having rematches when and where they could be avoided, alot are inferrring "one new team will be in the final" and that is all very well too but I hope the system was not so to make sure that would happen given the results, look I think it was open draw, and so be it if it is/was, just pity to have rematches so soon where they were clearly avoidable after the results of the weekend.
You are a bit off mark here. The top team in each group was seeded in semi draw so they were separated - rightly and fairly so. Open draw would not be fair on team that tops groups and in fairness, would reduce the chances of top two teams meeting in final as the best could be drawn against each other in semi. The q-final winners happened to be from different groups but it may not have fallen that way. They just need to add in a proviso that in event of teams from different groups winning quarter final, that they will play teams from opposite group in semi final. This would ensure what has occurred is avoided. Rules are set in stone and sent to clubs at start of the year. In this there was no provision for this and couldnt just change it on a whim to suit the situation.
jimbob

Tmacmahon
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Tmacmahon »

Belmont and shinrone have a chance that will not very often come for both clubs. It will be interesting to see how they cope with the expectation and the pressure such a game presents.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

jimbob17 wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:40 am
Fairplayalways wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:59 pm
I would love to see them rules, even an open draw if provided for, surely the provision if possible to avoid rematches BEFORE a final would be factored in, seems a bit odd having rematches when and where they could be avoided, alot are inferrring "one new team will be in the final" and that is all very well too but I hope the system was not so to make sure that would happen given the results, look I think it was open draw, and so be it if it is/was, just pity to have rematches so soon where they were clearly avoidable after the results of the weeke

You are a bit off mark here. The top team in each group was seeded in semi draw so they were separated - rightly and fairly so. Open draw would not be fair on team that tops groups and in fairness, would reduce the chances of top two teams meeting in final as the best could be drawn against each other in semi. The q-final winners happened to be from different groups but it may not have fallen that way. They just need to add in a proviso that in event of teams from different groups winning quarter final, that they will play teams from opposite group in semi final. This would ensure what has occurred is avoided. Rules are set in stone and sent to clubs at start of the year. In this there was no provision for this and couldnt just change it on a whim to suit the situation.
[/quot

The same open draw rule applied in the SF draw. Rhode and Tullamore as automatic semi finalists, were drawn to play the winning q/ finalists, Ferbane and Edenderry respectively.
The 4 sides were in two separate containers.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

sound enough, as I said it should have been included rematches not permissable prior to final(if at all possible) as you say it wasnt included apparently. Its not as if its the champions league final either that venues are prebooked and pre planned months in advance for the knockout stages, the county board still has to meet to decide venues and times for the knockout stages..still two interesting semifinals though..probably more pressure on Belmont now than Shinrone though, its new ground for Shinrone more or less.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Lads any idea on when the Intermediate final replay is on or any info on the Senior A & B semi fixture times and venues or are they going to bother playing them at all?

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

bracknaghboy wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:38 pm Lads any idea on when the Intermediate final replay is on or any info on the Senior A & B semi fixture times and venues or are they going to bother playing them at all?
The SeniorA football games are in OCP, this weekend. Rhode v Ferbane on Saturday, 5 pm. Tullamore v Edenderry Sunday at 4 pm. All fixtures and venues are in local press. Try Co. Board website.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

SearingDrive wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:55 pm The SeniorA football games are in OCP, this weekend. Rhode v Ferbane on Saturday, 5 pm. Tullamore v Edenderry Sunday at 4 pm. All fixtures and venues are in local press. Try Co. Board website.
Cheers Searing.....oh believe me I'm fully aware of the upcoming football fixtures......it's the hurling fixtures that are currently shrouded in secrecy :D

chimbonda
County player

Post by chimbonda »

Fairplayalways wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:34 pm sound enough, as I said it should have been included rematches not permissable prior to final(if at all possible) as you say it wasnt included apparently. Its not as if its the champions league final either that venues are prebooked and pre planned months in advance for the knockout stages, the county board still has to meet to decide venues and times for the knockout stages..still two interesting semifinals though..probably more pressure on Belmont now than Shinrone though, its new ground for Shinrone more or less.
Why do you feel it is new ground for Shinrone? Did they not play a County semi final less than 12 months ago?

Onionbag
All Star
Club: Durrow

Post by Onionbag »

chimbonda wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 6:26 pm
Fairplayalways wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:34 pm sound enough, as I said it should have been included rematches not permissable prior to final(if at all possible) as you say it wasnt included apparently. Its not as if its the champions league final either that venues are prebooked and pre planned months in advance for the knockout stages, the county board still has to meet to decide venues and times for the knockout stages..still two interesting semifinals though..probably more pressure on Belmont now than Shinrone though, its new ground for Shinrone more or less.
Why do you feel it is new ground for Shinrone? Did they not play a County semi final less than 12 months ago?
Correct..

Coolderry beat them in Semi.

Finished 4th in group of 10

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

bracknaghboy wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:58 pm
SearingDrive wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:55 pm The SeniorA football games are in OCP, this weekend. Rhode v Ferbane on Saturday, 5 pm. Tullamore v Edenderry Sunday at 4 pm. All fixtures and venues are in local press. Try Co. Board website.
Cheers Searing.....oh believe me I'm fully aware of the upcoming football fixtures......it's the hurling fixtures that are currently shrouded in secrecy :D
The hurling semis, are shared between Birr and Tullamore, on w/end 16th/17th.

aigne
Junior B

Post by aigne »

Dunga wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:07 pm Disappointing to see Brosna Gaels go down after only coming up this year. They beat Shamrocks comfortably this year and they are in the final.
Surprised to see Brosna Gaels go down from IHC after being so strong in JHC in 2021

aigne
Junior B

Post by aigne »

kingscounty wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:47 pm Apologies 2-21 to 1-20 , Edenderry into semi final
Big win for Edenderry after scraping out of their group in third place

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Yeah only won one game in the group, C&R second team so wouldn’t get to carried away

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Onionbag wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:14 pm
chimbonda wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 6:26 pm
Correct..

Coolderry beat them in Semi.

Finished 4th in group of 10
Yeah they did actually, Belmont for some reason seem to be around the knockout stages as in semifinals etc. abit more than Shinrone overall in recent years (no doubt if I am wrong in that I will be reminded :D...just Shinrone didnt make too many semifinals in recent years I think..again I stand corrected...