League & Championship hurling 2022

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
seany123
Junior B
Club: Junior

Re: League & Championship hurling 2022

Post by seany123 »

Onionbag wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:46 pm Big chance for the 4 remaining teams now
Huge chance, Rynas looked a tired team yesterday and seem to have pressed their own self destruct button this year with lads coming and going and in fairness they had injuries to. Good luck to the rest, all to play for now.

Onionbag
All Star
Club: Durrow

Post by Onionbag »

If Kilcormac Killoughey win it they could dominate for the next few years.

Very hard for players to keep the hunger going.

In fairness lads couldn't travel during Covid and there's a balance to be found.

timber
All Star

Post by timber »

Intermediate Hurling Final

While it was competitive and had an exciting finish, I found the standard was quiet poor. I was expecting a bit more quality for an intermediate final but only thinking about it after, this is really third tier competition in the county now. So the standard probably was about right.

Shamrocks were very poor in first half playing with the wind. The lack of hurling with the football quarter final the previous sunday a likely contributing factor that hurling sharpness was not there. Clareen seemed much sharper to react and reading the game but Shamrocks seemed to have an edge in fitness and pace to make up ground.

When shamrocks did start to hurl interestingly against the wind, they looked in good control. However, they lost shape in attack instead of just driving on but seemed to retreat and play out the game. Planned or unplanned it was a bad move and gave clareen a bit of confidence and momentum to let them back into the game. Barry Bergin looked like the only real threat in attack but they chipped away and the goalie did well with the free to make a draw of it.

The game should bring on shamrocks who needed some hurling. Clareen will be the happier to have come out with a draw and probably give them a bit of a boost. Both teams will go in confident. Should be tight either way. Hopefully a better replay to follow.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Pre the current KK spell of success at senior level, I remember KK mopping up at underage back many years ago now and it did not transpire to senior success, indeed alot of those players did feature later at senior level when KK were q/f and semi final losers on a regular basis, employment locally was an issue that time with no local jobs in a scale where Banagher had Banagher Concrete for example. That day is gone now with young people getting well educated and not dependent on the "pull" for a job, jobs now can be obtained themselves and work can be anywhere, that said not everyone will be on for commuting down to training twice a week or so and also factor in Offaly were competing at top level at intercounty back then so there was a possibility of call up to compete for Provincial and All Ireland medals and National League was a worthy second tier to win with no back door etc. so while KK are indeed mopping up at underage, the landscape has changed alot, and they will be first to acknowledge that senior success will nor be a given in years to come..

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Why could Birr not play Belmont and KK play Shinrone based on the way results panned out yesterday, surely when rematches were avoidable prior to the final they should have been facilitated, 2 rematches of group games here only played weeks ago..anyone else wondering why??A new team in the final all very well, it should have been possible for both Belmont and Shinrone to make it to the final..

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Likely it was not written in the rules. They must follow stated rules. Would make sense to add in to rules that where provision can be made to avoid teams from same group meeting in semi, draw is not made and teams play winner of opposite group in a semi.
jimbob

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Belmont and Shinrone will contest a novel SHC semi final, neither of them have ever won the Dowling Cup. One team will contest the final v KK or Birr from the other semi final.
Shinrone delivered a big performance in a knock out game, by defeating St. Rynagh’s on Sunday.

I would expect the winners of the KK/ Birr game to be title favourites, given their experience of finals,including county, provincial and national. Both Shinrone and Belmont will be hoping to equal KK’s record in landing their first county title in 2012. Should be an interesting conclusion to the championship, and good to see new teams make the semi final/ final in 2022.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

frankthetank wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 4:16 pm On last night's performance there is no guarantee Clodiagh Gaels will win the 2023 Senior B championship.

As the game progressed their performance levels bordered towards shambolic to be quite honest. With the exception of Cathal Curran they really strike me as a group of individuals with no concept of playing as a team. That's 10 Senior championship games now for the Gaels and 10 defeats.

What was noticeable about Clareen was the size of the team. In the middle third, 7 of their 8 players were over 6ft tall and to highlight their size, of these 7 Joseph Bergin, (who was excellent, putting some of our current "county" stars in the ha'penny place) I would say is the smallest. And these guys are young. Big scope for improvement in Clareen.
I never saw Clodiagh Gaels winning the relegation battle, but not the margin of Seir Kieran’s win. By all accounts the CG performance was dire, and showed little desire to win. Now they have to win the B title in 2023, nothing guaranteed. A lot of hard questions for the Gaels to consider.
Will either Clara or Tullamore avoid a similar fate next year?

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

SearingDrive wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:29 pm Belmont and Shinrone will contest a novel SHC semi final, neither of them have ever won the Dowling Cup. One team will contest the final v KK or Birr from the other semi final.
Shinrone delivered a big performance in a knock out game, by defeating St. Rynagh’s on Sunday.

I would expect the winners of the KK/ Birr game to be title favourites, given their experience of finals,including county, provincial and national. Both Shinrone and Belmont will be hoping to equal KK’s record in landing their first county title in 2012. Should be an interesting conclusion to the championship, and good to see new teams make the semi final/ final in 2022.
KK will be favourites now ide say, Birrs former pedigree means nothing to this current squad (no disrespect intended) but I would expect them to put a fair battle upto Kilcormac but KK should one would think have enough guile to get over Birr. Belmont and Shinrone is interesting in that we all wondered with Rynaghs on the wane and Shinrone on the back of a no show in final group game, how would Shinrone react, their win yesterday was a great one, other years when the heat was turned up in final stages they fell away, not yesterday, the clung on in there and got over the line, they will want to correct the record with Belmont who as such have yet to have "their day out" as Shinrone had yesterday, and while Belmont qualified on merit for the semifinals Shinrone now have a very valuable game and scalp under their belts and are now where Belmont are, facing them again with a desire to put the record straight. I think this will be a singer of a game, and Shinrone will relish this game..

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

I think the KK game is totally 50/50 recently results show Birr don't fear this KK team.
Yes they beat them earlier round of championship but conditions that day made a mess of the game. Birr beat them in the league final and beat them 3 years ago in the semi final.

I firmly believe KK will be a serious force in a few years time but currently I don't see it with their team.

The second game I think Belmont will win they seem to be a solid outfit and with Oisin Kelly back they will have to much for shinrone.

Dodge83
All Star

Post by Dodge83 »

greenairfield wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:48 am I think the KK game is totally 50/50 recently results show Birr don't fear this KK team.
Yes they beat them earlier round of championship but conditions that day made a mess of the game. Birr beat them in the league final and beat them 3 years ago in the semi final.

I firmly believe KK will be a serious force in a few years time but currently I don't see it with their team.

The second game I think Belmont will win they seem to be a solid outfit and with Oisin Kelly back they will have to much for shinrone.
The conditions were not just bad for Birr , there were bad for Kk also so that point is ridiculous. I think Kk will be too physical for Birr. And you can’t go off the league final result or a win 3 years ago 😂.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Firstly - Just to recognize the great champion Ryangh's have been over the last 3 years. They been outstanding.

Conrgats to Birr, Lusmagh, Seir Keiran's and Shinrone.

I though Birr have improved over the last 3 years and i'm a a big fan of Colm Mulrooney, he does so much unseen work for the team.
Eoghan Cahill and Luke Nolan are scoring machine
Ballinamere will be disappointed but progress is never a straight line up sometime a loss and what you learn for it makes you better long term.

Shinrone win was a great one for the club and well done to them. I was listen to this on the Radio. so after 20 mins i though it was over but Shinrone dug in and fought for everything and well done to them.

Seir Keiran - This could be the making of Seir Keiran - Keiran's problems has never been there hurling. Hopefully we see them push on for here.

and lastly my own club Drumcullen. We are in a spiral of negative that is self feeding. They is a huge amount of work going in but it may take time for Drumcullen to turn the corner.
“Common sense is not so common.”

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Dodge I am very aware it was bad for both teams. It was a match that was hard read anything from it as the conditions were that bad.

I am going off the last two times they met which is the mentioned above if I can't go off the last times these met I'm not sure what I go off then...

Lemons.

Dodge83
All Star

Post by Dodge83 »

Toxicity234 wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:48 am Firstly - Just to recognize the great champion Ryangh's have been over the last 3 years. They been outstanding.

Conrgats to Birr, Lusmagh, Seir Keiran's and Shinrone.

I though Birr have improved over the last 3 years and i'm a a big fan of Colm Mulrooney, he does so much unseen work for the team.
Eoghan Cahill and Luke Nolan are scoring machine
Ballinamere will be disappointed but progress is never a straight line up sometime a loss and what you learn for it makes you better long term.

Shinrone win was a great one for the club and well done to them. I was listen to this on the Radio. so after 20 mins i though it was over but Shinrone dug in and fought for everything and well done to them.

Seir Keiran - This could be the making of Seir Keiran - Keiran's problems has never been there hurling. Hopefully we see them push on for here.

and lastly my own club Drumcullen. We are in a spiral of negative that is self feeding. They is a huge amount of work going in but it may take time for Drumcullen to turn the corner.
Perhaps relegation is not the worst thing. Sometimes you need to take a step back in order to go forward. A year or 2 at intermediate where they will surely be competitive at the least will be good for the club and players. Yes there will need to be a lot of work done now at underage to ensure the young players progress through to the adult teams. Drumcullen is a great hurling club and I’m sure they will bounce back.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

no point made on here is "rediculous" we may not concur with all views but isnt that what makes this forum so good and interesting..