League & Championship hurling 2022

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
kingscounty
All Star

Re: League & Championship hurling 2022

Post by kingscounty »

Edenderry 1-20 Carraigh& Riverstown 1-18 after extra time this morning in KK

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Apologies 2-21 to 1-20 , Edenderry into semi final

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

On last night's performance there is no guarantee Clodiagh Gaels will win the 2023 Senior B championship.

As the game progressed their performance levels bordered towards shambolic to be quite honest. With the exception of Cathal Curran they really strike me as a group of individuals with no concept of playing as a team. That's 10 Senior championship games now for the Gaels and 10 defeats.

What was noticeable about Clareen was the size of the team. In the middle third, 7 of their 8 players were over 6ft tall and to highlight their size, of these 7 Joseph Bergin, (who was excellent, putting some of our current "county" stars in the ha'penny place) I would say is the smallest. And these guys are young. Big scope for improvement in Clareen.
Last edited by frankthetank on Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

frankthetank wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:22 pm Drumcullen hurling probably at it’s lowest point in history?
I stand corrected. Today is Drumcullen's lowest point in their history.

Fair play to Lusmagh. Didn't think they'd manage to get the win.

Dodge83
All Star

Post by Dodge83 »

Dodge83 wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:22 pm Both Ballinamere & Shinrone to progress. It’s going to be a weekend of upsets
50% right 😂

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Huge win for Shinrone beat St Rynaghs 1-15 to 1-13.

Semi-Final Draw:

Shinrone vs Belmont

Kilcormac/Killoughey vs Birr

I presume Shinrone vs Belmont will be in SBP while K/K v Birr will be in OCP.

Curtain raisers should be Intermediate Final (OCP) and Senior B Final (SBP)

For the first time since Tullamore’s 2010 final appearance someone other than St Rynaghs/Birr/KK/Coolderry will be in the final which will lead to great excitement in either Belmont or Shinrone.

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Senior B and Inter finals should be in OCP. It is Co ground after all. Can't see how you would bring Tullamore v Clara to SBP.

Great win for Shinrone and good for club Hurling in County to have new winner. Makes more teams believe they can do it. Rynaghs have been good Champions, but lots of their lads are in their 30s now and with little underage success and kk wave coming, they might only have couple years left to win more before they drop off.

Drumcullen dropping is huge I think but also, Co board need to bring more teams up to Senior B as likes of Shamrocks, C&R etc are more than capable of competing at that level. Bring teams up from inter and make it a proper 8 team competition.
jimbob

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

jimbob17 wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:08 pm Senior B and Inter finals should be in OCP. It is Co ground after all. Can't see how you would bring Tullamore v Clara to SBP.

Great win for Shinrone and good for club Hurling in County to have new winner. Makes more teams believe they can do it. Rynaghs have been good Champions, but lots of their lads are in their 30s now and with little underage success and kk wave coming, they might only have couple years left to win more before they drop off.

Drumcullen dropping is huge I think but also, Co board need to bring more teams up to Senior B as likes of Shamrocks, C&R etc are more than capable of competing at that level. Bring teams up from inter and make it a proper 8 team competition.
Tullamore vs Clodiagh Gaels 2022 Senior B Final was in SBP.

Birr and Clareen were dragged to OCP for a group game last year.

Onionbag
All Star
Club: Durrow

Post by Onionbag »

Rynaghs showed all the signs of running out of hunger.

Shinrone dominated the 50/50.

St Rynagh's only scored 2 points from play in second half.

Onionbag
All Star

Post by Onionbag »

Big chance for the 4 remaining teams now

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

"Should have" and "could have" won this game or that game is all very well, every team that loses will feel and think the same but its on the field and on the day that counts, (not what could have happened) Very arrogant and indeed to come on here again and admit you were in fact being smart in the first place, I hope you find your way through life well with such smugness (life generally throws up "down to earth situations" which we all have to accept and cannot go saying "oh but" etc. Anyways Ime not going to dwell any further on the matter as its not why ime on here posting my views on hurling and football matters. Shinrone had a massive win today, and they will relish their rematch with Belmont, that will not be a similar game to the last day I doubt, Birr and KK will also be an interesting game, why they didn't criss cross the semifinals disappoints me as its a pity to see rematches at semifinal stage where they were preventable, if ime wrong in that apologies in advance..onwards and upwards as they say..

Document
Junior C

Post by Document »

What way will the championship format be next year?.it has to be said,there is not much gap between Senior B and intermediate. Seeing Clodiagh Gaels go up and straight down,and seeing Drumcullen fall from A to intermediate backs this up. Can anyone see Tullamore/Clara do anything other than get relegated with Seir Kieran,Kinnity etc just surviving.
Saying C&R or Shamrocks could hold their own in Senior B is probably a correct assessment but both are inconsistent and seem to fail to turn up when needed or expected. Possibly scrap Senior B and review the situation? Or go with less teams in A and more in B, the results in the B this year seemed hard to predict.
The C&R Crinkill joining seems to be gone silent but based on the U20 performance I wonder will it make a difference.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

There can be no change to the 2023 championships at this stage.

This format change would have to have been passed at county board level before the 2022 championships started.

They might get away with a rebranding i.e Senior B becomes Intermediate but format changes are a non runner until 2024 at the earliest

Also I wouldn’t be as quick to dismiss Kinnitty and Seir Kieran. I think you could see an upward trajectory for both clubs in 2023.

Onionbag
All Star

Post by Onionbag »

Good point👆

Dodge83
All Star

Post by Dodge83 »

Document wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:57 pm What way will the championship format be next year?.it has to be said,there is not much gap between Senior B and intermediate. Seeing Clodiagh Gaels go up and straight down,and seeing Drumcullen fall from A to intermediate backs this up. Can anyone see Tullamore/Clara do anything other than get relegated with Seir Kieran,Kinnity etc just surviving.
Saying C&R or Shamrocks could hold their own in Senior B is probably a correct assessment but both are inconsistent and seem to fail to turn up when needed or expected. Possibly scrap Senior B and review the situation? Or go with less teams in A and more in B, the results in the B this year seemed hard to predict.
The C&R Crinkill joining seems to be gone silent but based on the U20 performance I wonder will it make a difference.
Carrig & Riverstown joining with Crinkill not completely dead , just on hold until the hurling is over this year from what I hear. Carrig will be disappointed to have lost another intermediate semi final while their juniors had a good year after winning the B last year. Crinkill are having a very good year so far, comfortably beating all before them in championship. Semi final against Kk in 2 weeks. They have some fine young hurlers stepping up this year and a good management team in Martin Errity & Donie Franks. Maybe Carrig’s defeat in semis will push the amalgamation forward this winter. Will be interesting to see