Offaly Hurlers 2022

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
JimBwobb
All Star

Re: Offaly Hurlers 2022

Post by JimBwobb »

Cahill not on today's panel, must be carrying a knock.

I'd have a fear wexford put up a big score on us today.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Wexford 1-22 Offaly 2-12 , interesting to see we were a point up after 54mins gone. Fell off again in the last 15/20 mins, hopefully these games can stand to the lads going into JMCD

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Thats a very good scoreline, especially if cahill was not playing. These game will really stand to offaly in the joe mcdonagh.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

not sure why Cahill wasnt playing but was looking at the panels for all league games and Fennelly does appear to be giving all players a chance in match day squads - trying a few panel members in different positions too....good to see but you would imagine now with games almost completed and we bottom of the pile we would be putting out our strongest for last 2 or 3 games...no point going down heroically on the last day with our strongest team..we are fairly competitve for 75% of most games good to see...alot done and alot to do..

JimBwobb
All Star

Post by JimBwobb »

Screenshot_20220320-124910_Messenger.jpg
Screenshot_20220320-124910_Messenger.jpg (206.69 KiB) Viewed 3568 times
Today's panel.

Interesting to note Shinrone's Sean Cleary on the 26, I didn't think he was on the panel this year.

I note a couple of omissions recently I'm wondering are these guys still on the panel or injured - Aidan Treacy, Conor Molloy, Ross Ravenhill?

JimBwobb
All Star

Post by JimBwobb »

Best of luck to the lads today, an easy 2 points on the road :D

Hasselhoff
All Star

Post by Hasselhoff »

Any inclinations on where and when the relegation final will be played.
Can we hear antrim and stay up?

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Game vs Antrim will be very close. Unfortunately, Antrim by 4 or 5.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Both played two at home and three away. Venue decided on toss of a coin. Next weekend, if I'm not mistaken.
Hasselhoff wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:40 pm Any inclinations on where and when the relegation final will be played.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Hasselhoff
All Star

Post by Hasselhoff »

Is it not a neutral venue?
Losing the coin toss and going to Ballycastle would be a fair long journey.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Plain of the Herbs wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:37 pm Both played two at home and three away. Venue decided on toss of a coin. Next weekend, if I'm not mistaken.
Hasselhoff wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:40 pm Any inclinations on where and when the relegation final will be played.
Toss of a coin? That’s a tough break if it goes against us.

A previous poster alluded to Ballycastle as being the potential venue if we lose the toss. Doubt that would be the case. Corrigan Park in Belfast I’m sure would host it.

Antrim have played their league games there for the last number of years so would make no sense to move it out of there.

Make no mistake this is a huge game for Offaly. If we win Joe McDonagh this year, a Division 2 league campaign in Spring 2023 is no preparation for Leinster Championship 2023.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Plain of the Herbs wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:37 pm Both played two at home and three away. Venue decided on toss of a coin. Next weekend, if I'm not mistaken.
Navan Saturday afternoon is what I hear now.
Sounds like it's anyone guess what is going on.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

3pm in navan this Saturday 26th.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Statin’ the bleedin’ obvious, but yesterday wasn’t one Offaly would be targeting for a win. Still, it was interesting to see how Limerick went about their business.

Offaly did what they could, and they’re not going to meet a team of Limerick’s calibre again this year. Struggled with the rudiments of ball control, as they did against Cork and Galway. Almost every pass had to be hopped on the hurl before being collected, or allowed bounce off the ground - the stuff that gets you killed. That said, I think Stephen Corcoran’s distribution trumps that of Conor Clancy right now. And Offaly battled to the end, got in some good interceptions, hooks and tackles.

Limerick, naturally, are expert at picking out a loose man in space and at controlling the ball first go. And didn’t have to get out of first gear. TV doesn’t do Barry Nash’s goal any justice – he was involved in that move behind his own ’45 before taking off upfield at some pace, where he got on the end of the move he helped create.

Antrim, I see, were hammered by Tipperary. But there is more to it than meets the eye. Antrim made eight changes including the goalkeeper, five defenders and Neil McManus. It was 5-10 to 0-13 at half-time, 15 scores to 13, in what bore the hallmarks of a challenge match. And Keelan Molloy scored 0-5 in the space of 20 first-half minutes.

Saturday it is!
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Navan at 3pm on Saturday.

You’d have to think this Antrim team is just about 18 months further down the line than where Offaly are at the moment.

Removing their game vs Tipperary they have lost the other 4 games (vs Kilkenny, Waterford, Dublin and Laois) by an average of 2.25 points.

In context, if we remove our last game vs Limerick we have lost our 4 other games (vs Cork, Clare, Galway and Wexford) by an average of 14.75 points.

Yes they might have had an easier group but the long and the short of it is they were competitive in Division 1 and we really weren’t.

At the moment Antrim belong in the top flight more than we do. As difficult as that may be to hear.