Offaly Hurling 2021

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
SearingDrive
All Star

Re: Offaly Hurling 2021

Post by SearingDrive »

oneshot wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:11 pm suprise how much we won but not suprise that we won . great display again today from the squad and backroom team. as i wrote yesterday we have as good as hurlers as kerry,carlow,down, it was just getting thevplayers to belive it .

Micheal Fennelly seems to have them flying and hurling as a team unlike the last few years.
no let up now we have carlow away next weekend who were beaten today by down so will be out to make up for that lost. but it looks like there is a bit of a rise in offaly hurling at the moment long may it continue .
Offaly had an impressive win today, thought it would be closer. They put Kerry away in the first half, Carlow up next. A win there would give Offaly wins over their promotion contenders, then it’s Down at home, and Wicklow away.

Hasselhoff
All Star

Post by Hasselhoff »

Good win for offaly today.

Don't think the long journey is of help to Kerry.

Would love to see Luke O Connor from Rynaghs getting a run and was disappointed he didn't get a run in today in the second half.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

like many other posters, I certainly didnt see a 21 point win coming, credit whre it is due, Offaly were ruthless all through from what heard it on radio (couldnt find it on any live stream channel so I purchased the footballers gameV Wicklow) Team is certainly going out all guns blazing and winning breaths confidence...Langton again was in awesome form...isnt it nice to have a player again who is standing up and being a leader and by the looks of it is lifting the lads around him...Brian Watkins my hero from the win over Meath last week went off injured..and was going well today upto getting an injury..Meath beat Wicklow well scoring 20 points so while they were down a key player last week, Offalys win last week was still a good win...delighted for Fennelly and the players...its a while ago since Offaly had two senior inter county teams winning both fairly by a fairly good margin...no goals conceded today and a very good score ran up with goals scored...onwards we go...

first_touch
All Star

Post by first_touch »

Tremendous win for Offaly. There is huge potential in this side and it's great to see them playing as a team and with such a determined attitude. A very positive thing is it looks like Offaly have found the key men to fill the spine of the defence in Ciaran Burke and Ben Conneely, a vital asset to any successful team. Well done to all concerned and it's important to keep the momentum building.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

A great win and a great win last week, but I’d air on the side of caution before we get carried away, we only have to look at last seasons result. Carlow and Down need to be put to the sword but will be no push over.
It’s hard to analyse the game when one can’t attend it but it is encouraging that we seem to be creating and taking huge scores and no goals conceded today after conceding 3 last week is obviously something talked about at training during the week.
Anyway Carlow I think are next, big performance needed again from our lads.

Sur lookit
Senior

Post by Sur lookit »

Well done to Fennelly , back room team and the players, it is clear they have engaged these players well during the lockdown and players have looked after themselves.
Not getting carried away will not be an issue with the players but most likely the folk around here if we don't get promoted now. Consistency of performance and work rate (something I was delighted to here Fennelly underline in his interview) are the areas of focus. Guys know their job now and know what is expected, they've set a baseline.
Good spread of scorers, and by God, whatever it is they are putting in the water is working after the first break so far! Delighted for the hurling people who are putting in the work to see some light at the end of the tunnel hopefully.

Were Kerry short many and I wonder how much of a factor would the long journey on the day be. Birr would have made it handier for Kerry, but nice to see we didn't! As it's not really the done thing in the GAA anymore.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Sur lookit wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 8:00 am Well done to Fennelly , back room team and the players, it is clear they have engaged these players well during the lockdown and players have looked after themselves.
Not getting carried away will not be an issue with the players but most likely the folk around here if we don't get promoted now. Consistency of performance and work rate (something I was delighted to here Fennelly underline in his interview) are the areas of focus. Guys know their job now and know what is expected, they've set a baseline.
Good spread of scorers, and by God, whatever it is they are putting in the water is working after the first break so far! Delighted for the hurling people who are putting in the work to see some light at the end of the tunnel hopefully.

Were Kerry short many and I wonder how much of a factor would the long journey on the day be. Birr would have made it handier for Kerry, but nice to see we didn't! As it's not really the done thing in the GAA anymore.
[/quot
According to the examiner Kerry were missing 10 from there panel and were using some 3rd choice players.

Sur lookit
Senior

Post by Sur lookit »

Missing up to 10?
So we'll take the win then and move on!!

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Sur lookit wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 2:40 pm Missing up to 10?
A win is a win. That sounds a bit like an excuse to me.

oneshot
County player

Post by oneshot »

but sure offaly were missing a good few also . we can only put out 15.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

It looks like Down are going well. Beat carlow by 2 points. Offaly now in driving seat to get promoted , not sure if thst is a good thing or not in the short term. Will beat sligo by a cricket score in christy Ring and should beat the others by similar margins to the sligo game.

biffinbanner
All Star
Club: ferbane

Post by biffinbanner »

i know a few from the north kerry area of huring. they were missing only 1 really vital member and a good one at that shane conway. no other big players missing according to them.. but they are from kerry so maybe being cute!!

Hasselhoff
All Star

Post by Hasselhoff »

oneshot wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 6:25 pm but sure offaly were missing a good few also . we can only put out 15.
Are we
Missing who exactly?

Maybe Cillian kiely and that's it really

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

SearingDrive wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 4:54 pm
Sur lookit wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 2:40 pm Missing up to 10?
A win is a win. That sounds a bit like an excuse to me.
AhI dont think they would say it if they werent...maybe there are players unavailable or not committing...I know every county has that situation but to a county like Kerry whom are doing well to compete at the standard they have set..I wouldnt say that is an excuse...most of their big names were out from my knowledge but maybe they have new players this year...they do turn over excellent players every couple of years..Shane Conway was in star form a year or two ago and beat us almost on his own if I remember right...

oneshot
County player

Post by oneshot »

Hasselhoff wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 8:44 pm
oneshot wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 6:25 pm but sure offaly were missing a good few also . we can only put out 15.
Are we
Missing who exactly?

Maybe Cillian kiely and that's it really
Damien Egan, paddy Delaney ,Cathal Kiely, peter Geraghty, colm gath .