Offaly Hurling 2021

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Re: Offaly Hurling 2021

Post by Lone Shark »

For what it's worth, my point was not that as of now, we're fit to take on Clare, Wexford, Dublin etc. There was a post suggesting that we're not ready for D1 yet, and my response was that if we're good enough to beat Kerry and Carlow, then clearly we've improved - and in that situation, then we're entitled to take a shot at the next rungs up the ladder and see how we go.

And since only the top team will go up (there is no league final), chances are we'll need to either beat both, or else draw with one and beat the other - one win and one loss probably wouldn't be enough, barring it's a very narrow loss, we rack up big margins in our other games, and we get help elsewhere.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

private joker wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:20 pm Clare when running properly would beat offaly comfortable enough.
There's no doubt that Clare are misfiring spectacularly at the moment. You could make a case for saying that Tony Kelly is the best hurler in Ireland, and they have plenty of talent around him. Look at the teams from the Munster U-21 final of 2015, here - https://www.the42.ie/limerick-munster-u ... 1-Jul2015/

An incredibly good Limerick team, featuring half the team that started the All Ireland final in December, scraped past them by three points. Clare are really letting a potential golden era slip past them at the moment.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

It is sad to see Clare bickering, lord knows they were in the wilderness for long enough, and now the can go toe to toe with any team in Munster even on a bad day/year..alot of talent there too..they have lost a few too in fairness from those great U21 teams and no more than Offaly couldnt afford to loose their top players but such is life...I see Conlon name as CB for Antrim game, it reminded me of Offaly struggling to get scores many years ago and Colin Egan moved back to CB even though he was going well in the forwards at the time..good players I know can play anywhere some will say, but Conlon was a score maker and getter for Clare so they must be fairly stuck at the back moving someone like him there..not sure if his move to CB went ahead Antrim as I only heard the result of that game...Kyle Hayes moving to defence for Limerick is different, he was CB on underage Limerick teams and a good one at that, and was well capable of litterally playing anywhere in the current Limerick set up..If we go up promoted we will have to play whats before us..we will give it our best shot no doubt..

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Lone Shark wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 10:06 am
private joker wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:20 pm Clare when running properly would beat offaly comfortable enough.
There's no doubt that Clare are misfiring spectacularly at the moment. You could make a case for saying that Tony Kelly is the best hurler in Ireland, and they have plenty of talent around him. Look at the teams from the Munster U-21 final of 2015, here - https://www.the42.ie/limerick-munster-u ... 1-Jul2015/

An incredibly good Limerick team, featuring half the team that started the All Ireland final in December, scraped past them by three points. Clare are really letting a potential golden era slip past them at the moment.
Just to note I was at that game and Limerick were comfortable winners and the 3 point margin flattered Clare. It was a great atmosphere.

Not having a go or anything LS, just an FYI

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Not at all Frank, it's a fair observation and is taken as such - I only saw reports and highlights, which obviously gives me a far less clear picture. It's also something of a talking point in Clare, in that they look on it as a bit of a Robert Frost moment for the two counties. If your feeling is that the three-point margin flattered Clare, well that changes that perspective in a big way.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Lining out without their main attacking threat, Meath offered feeble resistance last Sunday. And by the time Jack Regan was introduced, Meath had been psychologically broken. Offaly scored 28 times and hit 13 wides, a decent 41 scoring chances (not counting shots dropped short, saves etc.). In a stiff cross wind on a strange ground. The imbalance saw 26 attempts in the first half and only 15 in the second, which suggests Offaly were playing to the scoreboard and not to the plan. Media types will cry about the wides, but at least Offaly were creating chances. There’d be bigger problems if they couldn’t get across the end line.

Still there was good movement in attack, the first goal being a case in point where Adrian Hynes dragged the full-back well outfield and left Oisín Kelly runnin on to the ball with the corner-back stuck to the ground under a dropping ball. You could see Offaly players communicating in defence. And Offaly did look to retain possession by picking out the ‘runners’. Nothing worse than a team getting rid of the ball for no good reason.

The new advantage rule will not be to the advantage (pardon the pun) of teams who dislike being in possession. I do believe the new rules will best suit teams who look for collisions, who test the defensive discipline of the opposition. So lashing the ball away blindly will be counter-productive.

Big step up in class on Sunday. Everyone knows a Fintan O’Connor team will play in an unorthodox fashion, defenders moving into the attack, line breaks, the business. Having spent a year with St Rynagh’s, he’ll be well aware that Offaly dislike being in possession and struggle to defend against modern teams. ‘Give me the Future’, as Meat Loaf sang. What Kerry did against Down was impressive too, turning a 5 point deficit into an 11 point win. In effect a 16 point win. And as well as scoring four goals, Stephen Keith made three fine saves. Kerry’s move of Shane Nolan from midfield to full-forward paid dividends, as did the switch of Fionán O’Sullivan in the opposite direction.

If Offaly can again create 40 scoring attempts, while increasing the conversion rate to nearer 75%, they’ve a chance. They’ll need to retain possession and draw frees, while at the same time tackling Kerry correctly. And they can’t concede seven goal attempts like Down did. It’s a tall order.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

oneshot
County player

Post by oneshot »

The only games offaly should be worried about are the ones in this league and christy ring cup. never mind beating laois, or Dublin or clare we won’t be hurling them this year.

on to sundays game with kerry its like every game in this years league its a must win game with the top team going up. what offaly have to do in which they didn’t in their last two meetings with kerry was keep 15 on the field . there isn’t much between the two teams so should be a tight enough game .

last weeks win was a tonic and the margin of the win should have offaly in a good place on sunday . i belive we have as good if not better hurlers as kerry, carlow if we have a game plan and play to our strenghts i think we will get the win on sunday offaly by 4 .

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Saw a named team on soc media and looks bit different than last day. 2 corner backs gone due to injury and changes in forward line too - some possibly enforced...... Kerry supposedly lost few to injury too. It is a big game for this young group and a real marker towards measuring their progress over last year or so...... Lets hope we get a performance and result tomorrow........
jimbob

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Offaly giving kerry a serious bateing

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

None of us saw that coming.

Impressive stuff. With no promotion final and games vs Carlow, Down, Wicklow left, we’re in a good spot. Game against Carlow seems crucial now.

Well done to all involved.

ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Post by ryot »

Allianz HL Division 2A round 2

Offaly 2-28 Kerry 0-13, Bord Na Mona O'Connor Park, 2pm FT

Allianz FL Division 3 South round 1

Wicklow 1-10 Offaly 1-14, Aughrim, 2pm FT

WOW. after losing to Kerry over the last few years, a 21 point win with a new-look team is promising.

While the football lads, also with a new look about them winning in the hell-hole that Aughrim has been for many, is another good omen.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

A lot of positives today. So I’ll stick to those. Because I was concerned about today’s game.

Creating chances hasn’t been Offaly’s problem. They had 40 against Down in 70 minutes last year (took 17) and 41 against Meath last week. So 18 scores and three wides in the first half (for 86%) was massive. The wides mounted up in the second half, I don’t know how many there were yet, maybe 10 at a guess, meaning overall again there were another 40 attempts, and a conversion of around 75%. You’d be looking for that.

The movement of Liam Langton and Brian Duignan in the forwards is now a key element. You can’t be standing in neat rows of 3-3-2-3-3 any more. Ciarán Burke and Jordan Quinn looked the part I the full-back line. David King is well able for that level. Brian Watkins was missed when he went off. And several more got decent game time.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

I didn't expect that margin, but it's a great sign.
Nice to see Offaly pushing on and winning handsomely when we're that bit better than the opposition.
I'm delighted the players resisted the temptation to drop a couple of gears and make a game of it, as has been the habit in the past in similar situations.

Carlow next and again that is another test of the mentality. The old Offaly way is follow a good performance with a lazy one. Michael Fennelly will be keen to make sure there is no letting up.

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Surprising result - not that we won but manner of it. It is a great improvement from last year even allowing for Kerry being a bit off colour. From listening to radio, sounded like Langton Duignan Conneely and Killian Sampson were to the fore. It is quite a young team Offaly have and if we keep making improvements, we can get back to Joe Mc and win it.......
jimbob

oneshot
County player

Post by oneshot »

suprise how much we won but not suprise that we won . great display again today from the squad and backroom team. as i wrote yesterday we have as good as hurlers as kerry,carlow,down, it was just getting thevplayers to belive it .

Micheal Fennelly seems to have them flying and hurling as a team unlike the last few years.
no let up now we have carlow away next weekend who were beaten today by down so will be out to make up for that lost. but it looks like there is a bit of a rise in offaly hurling at the moment long may it continue .