Offaly Hurling 2021

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
SearingDrive
All Star

Re: Offaly Hurling 2021

Post by SearingDrive »

BiffoInThurso wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:59 am
frankthetank wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:47 pm 33% of that team were hurling in a glorified intermediate club championship in 2020.

53% of that team didn’t win a senior club championship game in 2020.

Makes you think that the best hurlers in the county are not on that panel due to their own choice or through management selections.

Damning enough in its own right.

Could anyone hazard what out strongest team, on paper, would look like? I do think this would be classed as a comparatively understrength team. Not withstanding best of luck to the lads, can never beat Meath by enough so hopefully they put the hammer down.
Management pick players on their form. Some experienced players opted off the panel this year, so you select from the available players.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Best of Luck to the Lads.
The lads taking the field are good hurlers but the problem is if Meath turn up to play hurling we could be in trouble, Cause we be trying to do everything but play the game.
With the way we play the game we have work 50% time harder than the other team to have a hope of winning any game. We have prioritised mad level of hard work over efficiency.
I'm hoping that tomorrow will the start of the change where Hard work and Efficiency are returning to the county in equal measure. and letting Offaly players just play the game.

I watch in aw this week when an underage coaches was setting up the field for training and he had about 200 plastic cones and no sliotars.
With the way our coaches are develop soon you won't have to bring your hurl to train.
If we want to improve hurling the best to do now is to put a time limit on drills and 15 mins max for your drills and the rest of training is a match.

#letthekidsplaythegame.
“Common sense is not so common.”

BiffoInThurso
Intermediate
Club: St Rynaghs

Post by BiffoInThurso »

It’s probably not a foregone conclusion that a result is got here. I remember this time last year the chat was that the senior club champions in offaly would beat these teams handy enough, things seem to have fallen a ways further.

oneshot
County player

Post by oneshot »

just watch galway westmeath game, westmeath who are in joe mcdonagh cup ahead of us and in division 1. but the level of galway are in another world to westmeath and also missing 4 or 5 of there first 15 Canning and a few more . its going to take a few years of good underage coaching and maybe if we could get a underage leinster title to build on to get back to that level.

oneshot
County player

Post by oneshot »

BiffoInThurso wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 3:59 pm It’s probably not a foregone conclusion that a result is got here. I remember this time last year the chat was that the senior club champions in offaly would beat these teams handy enough, things seem to have fallen a ways further.

our fall from grace over the last few years has been hard to take but it was on the cards over the years with our underage sides losing to carlow westmeath, laois, also our senior sides losing to laois, westmeath in the leinster champonship . but we seem hopefully to have stop the rot in underage with the minors in this years final plus our under 20s doing well the last 3 years . we start at the bottom again this year in league and christy ring . its will take baby steps to get back but we have to be getting results again meath and wicklow and at home to kerry and carlow to be making some type of progress this year. starting with a win in navan on sunday.

BiffoInThurso
Intermediate

Post by BiffoInThurso »

oneshot wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 4:29 pm just watch galway westmeath game, westmeath who are in joe mcdonagh cup ahead of us and in division 1. but the level of galway are in another world to westmeath and also missing 4 or 5 of there first 15 Canning and a few more . its going to take a few years of good underage coaching and maybe if we could get a underage leinster title to build on to get back to that level.
A few years might be underselling it somewhat

oneshot
County player

Post by oneshot »

BiffoInThurso wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 7:05 pm
oneshot wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 4:29 pm just watch galway westmeath game, westmeath who are in joe mcdonagh cup ahead of us and in division 1. but the level of galway are in another world to westmeath and also missing 4 or 5 of there first 15 Canning and a few more . its going to take a few years of good underage coaching and maybe if we could get a underage leinster title to build on to get back to that level.
a few years to get back into division 1 and the leinster hurling champonship didn’t say winning all irelands or anything but we should aim to be where Antrim and laois are .

BiffoInThurso
Intermediate

Post by BiffoInThurso »

oneshot wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 7:18 pm
BiffoInThurso wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 7:05 pm
a few years to get back into division 1 and the leinster hurling champonship didn’t say winning all irelands or anything but we should aim to be where Antrim and laois are .
Taking 30 point pumpings from Galway?

oneshot
County player

Post by oneshot »

your missing my point i not talking about beating galway and winning all irelands. its getting offaly hurling back to leinster hurling champonship level as well as division 1 it is our second year in the christy Ring so anything will be an improvemeant.

joe bloggs
All Star

Post by joe bloggs »

Toxicity234 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 3:21 pm Best of Luck to the Lads.
The lads taking the field are good hurlers but the problem is if Meath turn up to play hurling we could be in trouble, Cause we be trying to do everything but play the game.
With the way we play the game we have work 50% time harder than the other team to have a hope of winning any game. We have prioritised mad level of hard work over efficiency.
I'm hoping that tomorrow will the start of the change where Hard work and Efficiency are returning to the county in equal measure. and letting Offaly players just play the game.

I watch in aw this week when an underage coaches was setting up the field for training and he had about 200 plastic cones and no sliotars.
With the way our coaches are develop soon you won't have to bring your hurl to train.
If we want to improve hurling the best to do now is to put a time limit on drills and 15 mins max for your drills and the rest of training is a match.

#letthekidsplaythegame.
Sorry Tox, but thats the kind of thinking that has us where we are.

If you have say a 60 to 70 minute training session you should not have it dominated by simply throwing in the ball and letting them at it.

You set up different drills but more importantly conditioned small sided games based scenarios on the principle of maximising player interaction with the ball, teamwork, attacking and defending.
'if your not part of the solution, your part of the problem' J. McClean

BiffoInThurso
Intermediate

Post by BiffoInThurso »

Toxicity234 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 3:21 pm Best of Luck to the Lads.

#letthekidsplaythegame.
Offaly have neither the hurling ability nor the physical development to simply go out and ‘play’. It has to be structured in order to give themselves at least the opportunity to compete

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

BiffoInThurso wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 3:59 pm It’s probably not a foregone conclusion that a result is got here. I remember this time last year the chat was that the senior club champions in offaly would beat these teams handy enough, things seem to have fallen a ways further.
Replace probably with definitely.

Regardless - COME ON OFFALY!!!!
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

With up to seven subs now permitted, the team that will finish will be very different to the one that starts. There are eleven named subs, one is a goalkeeper who will only be needed in an emergency, so up to seven out of the ten outfield subs will get on. So reasonable to expect Shane Dooley, David Nally, Brian Duignan, Aidan Treacy and Pádraic Guinan all will get on and will make a contribution.

I don't agree with the seven subs thing, it favours the strong counties but it's there now so might as well use it to best advantage.

I'm not going to get into the 'good luck' craic, but hopefully Offaly will be the better team and will make it count on the scoreboard.
SearingDrive wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:55 am Good luck to the team and mentors, tomorrow. It’s supposed to be windy and wet for the game, might affect things. Would like to see Shane Dooley get some game time. Go for it.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Conditions today are conducive to the ball doing a good bit of the work. If we play today with the system we did in last year’s CR semi then Michael Fennelly has learned nothing.

Assess your players and create a gameplan suitable to them. Don’t come in and inflict a gameplan that is alien to them and doesn’t suit their strengths.

No club team in Offaly plays the way we played against Down last year, therefore how could our players adapt to that style in a truncated season. Just shows the folly of appointing a totally inexperienced manager in my opinion.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I don't agree with a lot of this. But don't take this personally, Tank, you're a good contributor.

First, I don't agree with this 'let the ball do the work' craic. In this day and age, WE do the work, and we certainly need to outwork the opposition. With the advantage rule now effectively gone, most tackles are going to be interpreted as fouls, particularly at this level. So there is a premium on possession. Look at Westmeath yesterday during the first 20 minutes when they were competitive. Yes, most of their scores came from frees, but in most of those situations weren't even scoring opportunities in the first place.

I agree with your point regarding the way Offaly club teams play the game. But Offaly club teams don't do body tackles (preferring to swipe with the hurl). Offaly have struggled with the tackle for 20 years now. And if they're going to consistently give the ball away, with the rule as it now stands, well, there is no place for Offaly in any tier of intercounty hurling.

And anyway. 'Drive It' isn't going to work if the opposition play an extra defender. And it isn't going to work when, as happens more often than not, Offaly have a man sent off. And that's going to be a real issue if all fouls are going to be blown and the ticks and yellow cards accumulate.
frankthetank wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:04 am Conditions today are conducive to the ball doing a good bit of the work. If we play today with the system we did in last year’s CR semi then Michael Fennelly has learned nothing.

Assess your players and create a gameplan suitable to them. Don’t come in and inflict a gameplan that is alien to them and doesn’t suit their strengths.

No club team in Offaly plays the way we played against Down last year, therefore how could our players adapt to that style in a truncated season. Just shows the folly of appointing a totally inexperienced manager in my opinion.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.