Offaly Hurling 2021

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Re: Offaly Hurling 2021

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Meath GAA are broadcasting a visual on d'internet. Check the Meath GAA website.
BiffoInThurso wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:56 pm Is it being broadcast on d’internet or just the radio?
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

BiffoInThurso
Intermediate
Club: St Rynaghs

Post by BiffoInThurso »

Jaysis idn’t that great. I think this internet thing could really take off at this rate

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Offaly will need to get into it from the start. I’m sure Ml. Fennell will stress that to his players. Good luck to all.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

lets be devils and try and call the score..I'll go Offaly 1-16 Meath 1-12 (very possibly way higher points tallies but Just with all teams being idle practice wise I think very high points tallies wont be met first weekend back)

BiffoInThurso
Intermediate

Post by BiffoInThurso »

What should offaly beat them by?

What will they beat them by?

oneshot
County player

Post by oneshot »

if Shane Dooley is fit to play you can add 8 points or more to offalys tally. was a big miss last year and the antrim and kerry games plus the Down match in the christy ring cup i belive if he had to be fit and playing offaly would have got over the line.

anyway this is a new year and Meath this sunday made hard work beating them in birr last year and will be hard beaten in their own home ground this sunday. but if Dooley is fit to play didn’t see a team yet i think offaly will get a win bye 5 to 7 points fingers crossed .

BiffoInThurso
Intermediate

Post by BiffoInThurso »

What we saying then?

Nally and dooley should be starting imo
Attachments
DF8A3AAF-BBAB-4C76-AB69-6C93A75CA20C.jpeg
DF8A3AAF-BBAB-4C76-AB69-6C93A75CA20C.jpeg (209.05 KiB) Viewed 7045 times

Hasselhoff
All Star

Post by Hasselhoff »

Great to see Shane Kinsella back and also Conor clancy in the goal

oneshot
County player

Post by oneshot »

BiffoInThurso wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:37 pm What we saying then?

Nally and dooley should be starting imo
id like to see Dooley inthe forward line maybe fitnesss but we will need him if we are to move forward this year.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

33% of that team were hurling in a glorified intermediate club championship in 2020.

53% of that team didn’t win a senior club championship game in 2020.

Makes you think that the best hurlers in the county are not on that panel due to their own choice or through management selections.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

I seen the team earliLer and thought, yes, a bit of change around,lads named to start in different positions etc. Look, the panel is now as it is, start Shane Dooley..I dont know, I hear why he might start but is he fully fit, maybe he is not going that well in training, and the day is gone for starting lads becasuse of who they are..if he isnt going as well as the starting 6 forwards in training (we dont know) then he doesnt start..Clancy in goals will be interesting and Shane Kinsella great to see him getting in again..lets wish this 15 well, and see how it goes.a few of the subs named will be biting to get in maybe some having expected to start, and that can only be a good thing..we really need to get behind Offaly now and give these lads a savage push support wise, be it from afar for now..

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

sorry good to see Eoin Cahill abit further in, Ide have him further in but then we dont know what they are doing in training either..put Kelly centre forward and put Eoghan Cahill in the corner..some will say not..I think Kelly needs to get into the game from a central postion and carry the ball through with the other forwards peeling off him for support...easy say I know...

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

A few things I’d like to see.

Offaly controlling the game. At least 170 individual possessions (they had an abysmal 130 in 70 minutes against Down, Liam MacCarthy teams can do 250 per game, but this is the first game of the year, after only three week’s collective training.

Control the game. Don’t give Meath the ball. Offaly need to win 70% of their own puckout, including short ones which they will need to do to make the required space upfield. Hopefully Ben Conneely lines out at centre half-back, where he can go forward and create momentum.

A scoring conversion rate of 70%. It was 44% in 70 minutes against Down on a day they hit 18 wides. First game of the year or not, they need to score more than they miss.

If conceding short puckout to Meath, they need to put the pressure on the corner-back, don’t allow Meath to work it through the lines.

Keep moving. The day for lining out in neat rows of 3-3-2-3-3 are over. Liam Langton can be a key here. And Meath won’t be as accommodating.

Need to dominate in the skies. Offaly made five overhead fetches against Down, all between the 40th and 70th minutes. It’s 2021 now, the 1900s are long gone.

Don’t ‘drive it’ needlessly. Need to support the man in possession and make good, firm, handpasses. Handpasses can’t be made with a weak wrist. And there should be a 100% completion rate.

Run at Meath. Test their discipline. They’ve only had three week’s training either.

Don’t panic. If Meath gain momentum, as they did last year, disrupt it. Go short, keep the ball. Work harder.

Hurl the way you’re facing.

Score two goals. Oisín Kelly.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Plain of the Herbs wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 12:37 am A few things I’d like to see.

Offaly controlling the game. At least 170 individual possessions (they had an abysmal 130 in 70 minutes against Down, Liam MacCarthy teams can do 250 per game, but this is the first game of the year, after only three week’s collective training.

Control the game. Don’t give Meath the ball. Offaly need to win 70% of their own puckout, including short ones which they will need to do to make the required space upfield. Hopefully Ben Conneely lines out at centre half-back, where he can go forward and create momentum.

A scoring conversion rate of 70%. It was 44% in 70 minutes against Down on a day they hit 18 wides. First game of the year or not, they need to score more than they miss.

If conceding short puckout to Meath, they need to put the pressure on the corner-back, don’t allow Meath to work it through the lines.

Keep moving. The day for lining out in neat rows of 3-3-2-3-3 are over. Liam Langton can be a key here. And Meath won’t be as accommodating.

Need to dominate in the skies. Offaly made five overhead fetches against Down, all between the 40th and 70th minutes. It’s 2021 now, the 1900s are long gone.

Don’t ‘drive it’ needlessly. Need to support the man in possession and make good, firm, handpasses. Handpasses can’t be made with a weak wrist. And there should be a 100% completion rate.

Run at Meath. Test their discipline. They’ve only had three week’s training either.

Don’t panic. If Meath gain momentum, as they did last year, disrupt it. Go short, keep the ball. Work harder.

Hurl the way you’re facing.

Score two goals. Oisín Kelly.
Good luck to the team and mentors, tomorrow. It’s supposed to be windy and wet for the game, might affect things. Would like to see Shane Dooley get some game time. Go for it.

BiffoInThurso
Intermediate

Post by BiffoInThurso »

frankthetank wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:47 pm 33% of that team were hurling in a glorified intermediate club championship in 2020.

53% of that team didn’t win a senior club championship game in 2020.

Makes you think that the best hurlers in the county are not on that panel due to their own choice or through management selections.

Damning enough in its own right.

Could anyone hazard what out strongest team, on paper, would look like? I do think this would be classed as a comparatively understrength team. Not withstanding best of luck to the lads, can never beat Meath by enough so hopefully they put the hammer down.