Club Managements

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
jimbob17
All Star

Re: Club Managements

Post by jimbob17 »

greenairfield wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:14 pm Jimbob hold on here for a second. Its very hard to wipe the floor as you say in any county Birr might of done it for years due to the fact of the presentation brothers were feeding Birr with numbers every year with a huge amount of talent amongst them players.
That is not the case anymore due to the fact the brothers are no longer there and the school gives as much time ot things ike rugby,soccer music art whatever it may be.
So then it just down to the club and huge work is been put in while they mihght not be sweeping the floor like they use they have 7 or 8 lads from the age of 18-21 who were on Offaly underage teams the last few year and thats all they need and thats all they need as a club.
I wasn't trying to be in any way disparaging towards Birr. One could argue that in many clubs, the same level of preparation is not being done in schools that once did this work. This is certainly true. My point is that Birr were once a huge force at underage. That slipped for a good while but in the past 5-6 years, the work is being put in again by many who came through the previous successes and this will eventually surface at senior level and with consistency of approach, it will happen at underage also.

I'd argue that the Kildangan Ballinamere comparison is not so relevant. Kildangan is a huge parish stretching from Nenagh right out to Dromineer and over to Borrisokane. They had successful teams and a strong history back in the day but then disappeared for years. It has many primary schools but never really pushed things from a club perspective. Darragh Egan and a few more have strategically addressed this with huge underage work over last 10 - 12 years and now it is bearing fruit.

Ballinamere on other hand is a tiny place with no strong history, but they are getting a few in from Durrow and maximising every bit of talent involved with almost a hundred coaches involved in underage alone. They are lucky that there are some strong GAA people that have moved to the area that are involved or have been involved in underage teams, like Ml Duignan, Jim Troy and Daithi Reagan for example in hurling and Declan Meehan (Galway) in football. However, behind these well known names are a host of interested GAA people who might be largely unknown but do huge volumes of work in coaching the underage teams. There is a strategy there and while they might only be struggling at A level at times or even competing in B at younger age groups, they are more than competitive in A hurling and football by the time they get to minor level. Their minor football team of last year is a case in point. This is as a result of the work being done. It is the club here that is organising itself and doing huge work and credit to them, they are seeing rewards and significant improvement, and their girls football teams have also come from nowhere to now being very competitive in all grades. If all clubs had this level of organisation and maximised what they had, we would be in great place, that is all I am suggesting.
jimbob

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

I think in any county its very hard for every club to keep up that level of hunger and work on a consistent basis. You will see a couple or clubs dominate for 10 or so years then another club takes over for them. Its always just one or two guys the main reason who are pushing it on

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

greenairfield wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:03 pm I think in any county its very hard for every club to keep up that level of hunger and work on a consistent basis. You will see a couple or clubs dominate for 10 or so years then another club takes over for them. Its always just one or two guys the main reason who are pushing it on
I agree, and this is where clubs go wrong. Fresh blood and ideas are needed constantly to keep a voluntary organisation going. For every underage participant, there is at least one parent, and it is the club's capacity to get some of these helping that will make the difference. Whether it is only making tea or washing jerseys etc, every bit counts and helps coaches involved. The simplest thing like making people feel valued, has a huge impact on whether they will continue to help after that. There are significant volumes of people capital in every club that are not tapped into in my opinion.

A good chairperson (adult or underage) will find the capacity to hook good people in to help. The phrase "many hands makes light work" rings through here. Lots would be happy to help if only asked if the culture around the club is good. In some clubs, where there are power struggles and some people want to control things, people tend to not want to be a part of such a set-up....
jimbob

Tmacmahon
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Tmacmahon »

is the edenderry and cappincur management positions filled ?

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Kiladangan is geographical big, population small. Two primary schools with one with children coming from nenagh to attend. Tiny village who put the work in with the help of brilliant chairmen. Were never a force in tipp until recently. amalgamated with other clubs for a couple of years also. For what it's worth.

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

private joker wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:01 pm Kiladangan is geographical big, population small. Two primary schools with one with children coming from nenagh to attend. Tiny village who put the work in with the help of brilliant chairmen. Were never a force in tipp until recently. amalgamated with other clubs for a couple of years also. For what it's worth.
There were a lot more schools than two, unless some closed. There is definitely one in Puckane and Carrig / Ballycommon. Assume there is one in Dromineer too but not certain? Carney used to have a school but might be closed and there may be more, not 100 % certain and open to correction. The geographical spread is huge id suggest and maybe 3 or 4 times bigger than Ballinamere Durrow and while population is spread out, there are a lot of poeple who have built in the parish since the boom years started - many of whom from Nenagh and hinterland. Anywhere or at least most that is right of road from Borrisokane through Ardcroney running in to Nenagh and running out to Lough Derg through Ballycommon to Dromineer is in the parish. My grandfather won an Inter championship and fairly sure a senior championship also in the thirties and they were a strong enough senior club for long while after. They might have been known as different entities back then, as many clubs were. If I recall from seeing one of the medals, Kiladangan and Kilbarron was one name used at the time. There used to be a couple of Junior teams in the parish and some came together as numbers dwindled but competed together as a parish team at various times. There is definitely a very strong hurling culture in the area as I know from funerals and having been there a bit as a young lad. I'd go as far as saying that they were obsessed even when they were not having any success. They are neighbours and close rivals of Kilruane McDonaghs which would include Ardcroney, who won All Ireland Club championship in 1986. Either way, They have transformed themselves in last 10-15 yrs and are now set up to be fairly strong for years to come.
jimbob

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Only two schools. Carrig and puckaun. Some of the area's you mentioning like kilbarron are the Shannon rovers clubs area. Arcroney is mcdonaghs and dromineer I think is burgess, I could be wrong on that one. All of north tipperary is steeped in hurling. But we never played them at adult level until around early 2000s.
My point woukd be that I think with good work you can build a very good club. Ballinamere I think are building towards something sustainable.

summerindublin
All Star
Club: New York

Post by summerindublin »

IS Declan Cummins the new Edenderry manager?

Henry1
Junior C

Post by Henry1 »

jimbob17 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:33 pm
greenairfield wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:14 pm Jimbob hold on here for a second. Its very hard to wipe the floor as you say in any county Birr might of done it for years due to the fact of the presentation brothers were feeding Birr with numbers every year with a huge amount of talent amongst them players.
That is not the case anymore due to the fact the brothers are no longer there and the school gives as much time ot things ike rugby,soccer music art whatever it may be.
So then it just down to the club and huge work is been put in while they mihght not be sweeping the floor like they use they have 7 or 8 lads from the age of 18-21 who were on Offaly underage teams the last few year and thats all they need and thats all they need as a club.
I wasn't trying to be in any way disparaging towards Birr. One could argue that in many clubs, the same level of preparation is not being done in schools that once did this work. This is certainly true. My point is that Birr were once a huge force at underage. That slipped for a good while but in the past 5-6 years, the work is being put in again by many who came through the previous successes and this will eventually surface at senior level and with consistency of approach, it will happen at underage also.

I'd argue that the Kildangan Ballinamere comparison is not so relevant. Kildangan is a huge parish stretching from Nenagh right out to Dromineer and over to Borrisokane. They had successful teams and a strong history back in the day but then disappeared for years. It has many primary schools but never really pushed things from a club perspective. Darragh Egan and a few more have strategically addressed this with huge underage work over last 10 - 12 years and now it is bearing fruit.

Ballinamere on other hand is a tiny place with no strong history, but they are getting a few in from Durrow and maximising every bit of talent involved with almost a hundred coaches involved in underage alone. They are lucky that there are some strong GAA people that have moved to the area that are involved or have been involved in underage teams, like Ml Duignan, Jim Troy and Daithi Reagan for example in hurling and Declan Meehan (Galway) in football. However, behind these well known names are a host of interested GAA people who might be largely unknown but do huge volumes of work in coaching the underage teams. There is a strategy there and while they might only be struggling at A level at times or even competing in B at younger age groups, they are more than competitive in A hurling and football by the time they get to minor level. Their minor football team of last year is a case in point. This is as a result of the work being done. It is the club here that is organising itself and doing huge work and credit to them, they are seeing rewards and significant improvement, and their girls football teams have also come from nowhere to now being very competitive in all grades. If all clubs had this level of organisation and maximised what they had, we would be in great place, that is all I am suggesting.
Did Ballinameres minor hurdles not get to an A county final last year.And I'm not sure of how much involvement Daithi Regan had over there if any in underage.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

I don't think my eyes can take anymore Tipperary talk.

Maybe premierview.ie is the place for ye.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Sorry!!

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

private joker wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:01 pm Kiladangan is geographical big, population small. Two primary schools with one with children coming from nenagh to attend. Tiny village who put the work in with the help of brilliant chairmen. Were never a force in tipp until recently. amalgamated with other clubs for a couple of years also. For what it's worth.
Curious about this. Can you confirm.
Kilruane McDonaghs Based in Clough Jordan

Burgess. Location?

Ardcroney is between Borrisokane and Nenagh. Are they in Borrisokane’s catchment area?

I pass through North Tipp occasionally, pre COVID. Just asking.

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

SearingDrive wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:05 pm

Burgess. Location?

Ardcroney is between Borrisokane and Nenagh. Are they in Borrisokane’s catchment area?

Kilruane McDonaghs would be a combination of Ardcroney (Correct in saying between Borrisokane and Nenagh - a well known speed trap), Kilruane and Cloughjordan with main pitch in Cloughjordan - underage teams might train at other locations also - eg, there is a soccer / gaa pitch in Ardcroney that might be used at times. Some of their well known names would include Len Gaynor, Eamon O Shea, Mark O Leary and Brian and Niall O'Meara........ McDonagh element comes from Thomas McDonagh of Irish Proclamation fame - who was born in the area.

Burgess is connected into Nenagh also but not sure exactly where. It is wrapped around part of Nenagh as far as I know.
jimbob

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

jimbob17 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:35 pm

Burgess. Location?

Kilruane McDonaghs would be a combination of Ardcroney (Correct in saying between Borrisokane and Nenagh - a well known speed trap), Kilruane and Cloughjordan with main pitch in Cloughjordan - underage teams might train at other locations also - eg, there is a soccer / gaa pitch in Ardcroney that might be used at times. Some of their well known names would include Len Gaynor, Eamon O Shea, Mark O Leary and Brian and Niall O'Meara........ McDonagh element comes from Thomas McDonagh of Irish Proclamation fame - who was born in the area.

Burgess is connected into Nenagh also but not sure exactly where. It is wrapped around part of Nenagh as far as I know.
Thanks for the info. I knew about the Thos. McDonagh connection.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Burgess is on the Limerick side of Nenagh, located within a mile of the junction of the N52 and the M7. I haven't passed that way for a while, but I recall you can see Burgess' clubhouse from the flyover crossing over the motorway at that junction.

Jimbob17 is correct about Ardcroney. In KIlruane parish - and a notorious speed trap.
SearingDrive wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:25 pm
jimbob17 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:35 pm

Burgess. Location?

Thanks for the info. I knew about the Thos. McDonagh connection.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.