Offaly Hurling 2020

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
bracknaghboy
All Star

Re: Offaly Hurling 2020

Post by bracknaghboy »

If the situation is that if 1 fella comes back positive therefore the whole panel is out of action then its fair to say none of these championships will be valid and will probably not finish at all.
joe bloggs wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:55 pm May i suggest getting together 24 lads from the clubs that were due to play the co finals. They were still in training up to very recently. I reckon we have enough quality in those teams to give kildare a rattle.
100% agree with Bloggs here. Could 20 fellas not have been put together and give it a go? Looks like county board took the easy way out here. If there was no back door in the Christy Ring what would have they have done?

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Easier said than done. Throw lads together to play an intercounty game?. Not really a runner now , Let's ne fair about this.

Liam2020
Senior
Club: Kinnity

Post by Liam2020 »

Could we not have put out the u 20 team along with a few experience club players down the middle.. surely we had Notting to lose.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

apparently 27 players were deemed as "close contacts" so that pretty much explains the situation, there are no players to "throw together"..we cant field an U20 team as they are banned now too.. it also shows the peril these players are putting themselves in, travelling from different ends of the county to meet in a group in the current climate...I am all for the games going ahead,God knows we have little else to keep us sane over the comming weeks/months, but I dont know, this is looking as if like a house of cards it is all going to come crumbling down...I cannot understand other counties being "permitted" to play despite having cases...GAA HQ are too much hands off here to a degree...leaving such decisions to local level is asking for trouble...just my obs..

oneshot
County player

Post by oneshot »

had laois not got players who didnt tog out because of cov19 . but yet game went ahead.also roscommon footballers has a case last week but yet played their match :?

Liam2020
Senior

Post by Liam2020 »

How could 27 lads be close contacts out on a hurling field especially nowadays where no one marks anyone????

Tmacmahon
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Tmacmahon »

How were we treated differently? Any official word as to why so many deemed close contacts?

oneshot
County player

Post by oneshot »

sure didn’t cake curran say cov19 was rampant in offaly a few weeks ago and no one listen :lol:

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Firstly to the players that have picked up this Virus.
I hope he doing ok and I hope his family and close contacts are ok and if unwell that they are recovering.
And it's a reminder to everyone that this hasn't gone away and to look after yourself and everyone around you.

When I heard that Offaly was given a walkover I thought Jesus we must have breached the protocols and the lads must have been in a room together for an extended period of time.

But I don't think they broke the protocols so to have so many players as close contact was a huge surprise and the other thing if the players were close contact then a lot of the management would have been close contacts as well.

That leads to the problem of picking outside the panel to make up a team. Picking a new team and new management would be impossible and then make sure the new players haven't been in close contact with anyone else you need an army of people. All of which would have to be not close contact with people.

I think the county board needs to have a chat with and explain how the HSE found so many to be in close contact when it was only one case in the squad. When other panels had cases and were still able to play games.

Again. that just my thoughts. but the most important thing here is. The player that has the virus recovers and the close contacts are ok.
People's health is the most important issue here.
“Common sense is not so common.”

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

ah it would be very easy pick up this virus in a normal training setting, its no mystery as to why the whole panel are deemed close contacts, who knows, maybe the management are too, but that is not the story in the media maybe...Also, the GAA higher archy appear to be devoloving this down to local county level, and by doing so we are seeing the exact scenarios we have had this weekend with one county not playing and another "chancing" it as I see it...all very well for us to say cobble a team together and put out a team but you dont know the impact of being classified close contact has with management and selectors, and indeed some players, who might have Granny or Grand dad or an old uncle living with them...all involved in the panel, players and management have to think of that too...its not all about putting a game on just to keep the rest of us sane during this lock down, I think the teams playing games with Covid cases in their squads are being very very unfair to to all concerned, its all very well saying "they had a meeting and all agreed the game will go ahead"...maybe your the one or two voices in the corner and saying "jaysus Ime not saying anything here, they will go mad if I object"...and I dont doubt for one minute that wouldnt happen...

Liam2020
Senior

Post by Liam2020 »

Watching the Clare limerick game on Sunday, they were all keeping a safe distance from each other. Covid 19 hurling.
everyone one I talked about that game all struggled to stay awake.
Without the crowd modern hurling is so slow, players may be fast but the hurling is boring,
It's heading for none contact,
It's is not the game I love.
During the lock down I have watched lots of game from 80 and 90 S.
We have lost so much skill from the game since, I would worry where hurling is going.
There is a lot more to hurling that big scores , it's getting more like tennis in my opinion.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

What skills have been lost? (Please don't answer 'overhead striking' or 'poking the ball away on the ground' or 'hitting the ball as far as you can out of your way' or 'breaking hurls' all of which merely give possession away to the other team and in my opinion are no loss to hurling.)
Liam2020 wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:17 pm Watching the Clare limerick game on Sunday, they were all keeping a safe distance from each other. Covid 19 hurling.
everyone one I talked about that game all struggled to stay awake.
Without the crowd modern hurling is so slow, players may be fast but the hurling is boring,
It's heading for none contact,
It's is not the game I love.
During the lock down I have watched lots of game from 80 and 90 S.
We have lost so much skill from the game since, I would worry where hurling is going.
There is a lot more to hurling that big scores , it's getting more like tennis in my opinion.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

I think the art of defending has been lost POTH.

How many times on Sunday did Tom Morrissey or Gearoid Hegarty claim possession with their markers no where near them? They scored 0-09 between them from play so I think the concept of the Wing Back marking the space rather than the man was crazy in this situation.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Can we actually name some out and out defenders in the game now? Not ball playing wing backs like Diarmuid Byrnes but actually defenders who would take it as an affront to their manhood if their man scored a point.

Damien Reale, Ollie Canning, Martin Hanamy, JJ Delaney, Noel Connors are examples of players I mean.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I think the art of attacking has changed. Hurlers like Morrissey and Hegarty don't stand still for very long. It may look on television like they are unmarked, but the reality is that they have made a supporting run to collect a pass. All they need is a yard of a jump start and they are away.
frankthetank wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:48 pm I think the art of defending has been lost POTH.

How many times on Sunday did Tom Morrissey or Gearoid Hegarty claim possession with their markers no where near them? They scored 0-09 between them from play so I think the concept of the Wing Back marking the space rather than the man was crazy in this situation.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.