Offaly Hurling 2020

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Re: Offaly Hurling 2020

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I wasn't in Tralee so I'm not going to comment specifically on that one, but some general points in advance of Antrim's visit:

Having to hurl most of the second half with a man less than the opposition was a big handicap, naturally. And particularly when you're not comfortable in possession of the ball. But a far more critical handicap was scoring just 0-10 in the first half when backed by a strong wind. In the 21st century, that scoring rate will get you nowhere.

Offaly will need a plan to curb Neil McManus' infuence.

Offaly shouldn't release a team to the public in advance, of if they do it should bear no relation to the one that starts. When Antrim last visited Offaly they announced Neil McManus wouldn't make the trip. McManus played the whole game and was his usual influential self, and whatever fine Antrim received for their gamesmanship was a small price to pay for the win. I never want to see Offaly taken for fools like that again. Ever.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Pretty sure intercounty mgt do not take any notice of other teams line up as they are almost certain not to be the team that will start

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

very good point, wasnt all that the rage to during Ger Loughnanes time over Clare, one team was named and another one started, problem is you have to give programme makers and press etc. these details, alright pulling a fast one on the opposition, but no point buying a programme at a match if it isnt going to resemble the team on the field, you might sell programmes once or twice like that but wouldnt sell too many there after..you hit two very important but linked points, Offaly only scored 10 points with a near gale behind them, problem is we need to up that tally and do so more often, but the other point is you wont do that (score much) a. if you havent got the ball and b. if team doesnt really know what to do with the ball when they have it...

KeshaWantsTimber
Intermediate

Post by KeshaWantsTimber »

Very often Offaly gaa cannot predict the size of a crowd for a game anyway. Ive often gone in to matches and all programmes sold out and the hatch closed before match even starts. Duignan may sort that. I like to read the names off the programne and figure out who they related to and who theyd vote for.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Plain of the Herbs wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:50 pm
Offaly shouldn't release a team to the public in advance, of if they do it should bear no relation to the one that starts. When Antrim last visited Offaly they announced Neil McManus wouldn't make the trip. McManus played the whole game and was his usual influential self, and whatever fine Antrim received for their gamesmanship was a small price to pay for the win. I never want to see Offaly taken for fools like that again. Ever.
I wouldn't engage in them type of games at all. Have confidence and belief in your players, name your team and stick by it. Obviously have a plan for McManus but the idea of submitting dummy teams or no team at all to the public isn't for me. Name the team as early in the week as possible and make it public......if Antrim want to adjust their plans to counter your named team let them off at it. I've a feeling that in todays over complicated world management teams spend more time worrying about countering the opposition rather than getting their own house in order.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Following a pitch inspection in O'Connor Park tomorrow's match vs Antrim is postponed.

Bring hurling back to Birr!!

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

O Connor Park is not able for a bit of rain now.
bring hurling back to Birr :D

ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Post by ryot »

Did they check if Birr was OK before it was postponed ?

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Sshhhh!
That's not a bad turn of events at all. Offaly can gain some confidence with wins over Mayo and Wicklow in the next two weeks. They can then carry that bit of momentum into the Antrim game, which I presume will be on the weekend 7th/8th March now.

Kerry beat Meath 0-13 to 0-8 today.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

greenairfield wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:07 pm O Connor Park is not able for a bit of rain now.
bring hurling back to Birr :D
Tommy Byrne fault

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Reports in that the Birr pitch blew away and no inspection could be carried out, again TB fault.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Thank god that name is a thing in the past and where it should stay :lol: :lol: :lol:

oneshot
County player

Post by oneshot »

mayo on sunday thats if the rain lets up . we have two game now before we hurl antrim. wins again mayo and wicklow will set us up for the antrim game . antrim and kerry will have met so we will know again the antrim game what we will need thats if we get the wins again mayo and wicklow.

OffalyBlue
Junior C
Club: Village

Post by OffalyBlue »

oneshot wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:20 pm mayo on sunday thats if the rain lets up . we have two game now before we hurl antrim. wins again mayo and wicklow will set us up for the antrim game . antrim and kerry will have met so we will know again the antrim game what we will need thats if we get the wins again mayo and wicklow.
If we cant beat both teams by double digits then we are in series trouble.

kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Post by kaiserchief »

Plain of the Herbs wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:47 pm Sshhhh!
That's not a bad turn of events at all. Offaly can gain some confidence with wins over Mayo and Wicklow in the next two weeks. They can then carry that bit of momentum into the Antrim game, which I presume will be on the weekend 7th/8th March now.

Kerry beat Meath 0-13 to 0-8 today.
I agree with this thinking Pat. Weather conditions in Mayo this weekend won't be great either though. Need at least a 10 point victory.