Offaly v Waterford

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Treasurer
All Star

Offaly v Waterford

Post by Treasurer »

Game postponed to Sunday week (9th)

Skippy
Intermediate

Post by Skippy »

Why??

seamroga
Senior

Post by seamroga »

Didn't hear the game was postponed till I logged onto the site. Answer could be (and a better answer may be posted later) is that because the Cork v Wexford game was postponed last Sunday, it's necessary to have that match played before the final round of games. That would be only fair in case points difference comes into play, for example.

Treasurer
All Star

Postponement

Post by Treasurer »

From RTE site

GAA confirm Allianz NHL fixture changes
Wednesday, 29 March 2006 2:04

The GAA have confirmed that the Allianz NHL Division 1A fixtures originally scheduled for this Sunday have been re-fixed for Sunday April 9.

The postponed Allianz NHL Division 1A round four game between Wexford and Cork has been re-fixed for Wexford Park this Sunday at 3.30pm.

This is to ensure that all counties in Division 1A will now play their final round of games simultaneously on April 9 and not this Sunday as originally scheduled.

The quarter-finals and semi-finals of the Allianz Hurling League Division 1 have also been postponed by 1 week.

Skippy
Intermediate

Post by Skippy »

thats a gud fair idea, me thinks anyways!

Bogman
All Star

Post by Bogman »

On the Contrary it's one of the worst ideas in the history of the GAA.

This is the League, for Heaven's sake.

Having missed Offaly v Clare in Ennis due to a clash with football I now probably have to choose between Enniskillen and Birr on the day.

The age of the Dual Supporter is over!!

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

It's one thing to say it's the league, but last year we had some great challenge match results, results which we weren't able to come close to matching in the championship. Competitive league matches are a lot better, and I'd feel bad if we missed out because Cork knew they needed a draw in the last week and tapped a late free over the bar instead of going for goal, or some such situation. I don't blame the GAA for going down this route in the interests of fairness - I do however blame the Wexford County board for not being prepared for this. Much like the Cork - Tyrone football game whichshould have being played in Páirc uí Rinn after it was initially called off from Páirc uí Chaoimh instead of postponed, likewise Wexford should have been ready for this. It's not like a 10,000 attendance was on the cards after all. Surely there were other grounds in Wexford with better drainage which would have been able for this, and thus avoid all the subsequent messing we now see.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Interesting to hear Liam Griffin on ‘The Last Word’ claim, for the second time in 8 days, that Wexford were unlucky to lose to Offaly in the league due to the deflected goal, etc. Now, if the goal had come in the last minutes, I might say “fair enough”, but the goal came with 20 minutes to go, and reduced, I think, a 5 point gap to 2. Another one to put away in that box marked “open on week ending 11th June 2006” alongside Seamus Murphy’s famous “no disrespect” quote.

Anyway, Wexford flopped against Cork yesterday, having reportedly been ‘so up for it’ last week. They can’t now make up the gap on Offaly, so we’re spared a relegation date with Laois, a task I’d sooner leave to them.

When I woke on Sunday morning and pulled back the curtains and looked out at the rain and wind, I thanked me lucky stars that the Waterford game had been postponed. It’s simple on paper, win and Offaly are through; fail to win and they finish fourth. Waterford’s forwards are good in the air, however, an area where Clare seem to have hurt Offaly badly. A likely half forward line would include Dan Shanahan, Seamus Prendergast and Paul Flynn. The Offaly forwards will need to reproduce the scores got against Clare, which actually looked impressive on the TV highlights.

I’ve gone through the possibilities involving the 2 main matches (C / CE & OY / WD), and an Offaly win would see them finish second in the group, regardless of who wins the other match. An inferior goal difference to the other 3 rules out a 1st place finish. Strangely enough, Offaly can’t finish third either. At least their fate is in their own hands and they’re not relying on results elsewhere. Clare is the only team definitely through, which may affect their performance against Cork.

A win, therefore, would set up a quarter final clash with Tipperary, a prospect that should drive Offaly on. A second place finish also puts Offaly on the same side of the draw as Kilkenny. Interestingly, Kilkenny started yesterday’s Pearse Stadium clash with four men who have won an All Ireland on the field, and still destroyed Galway. What a depth of talent.

On an unrelated matter, I see the Under 21 football final was yesterday played at Longford’s home pitch. The U21 hurling tie against Dublin is fixed for Parnell Park. Is it planned to play the final at a home venue? Anyone know? Kilkenny and Wexford already have a home and away arrangement for under 21 matters.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Would ye all ever forget about going up to Enniskillen on Sunday and come to Birr instead!

Seriously, this is the biggest league match we've had in Birr since, probably 1997 when Limerick were the visitors in the final round. This was the first year of the league played in the one calender year, and a win would have given Offaly a place in the quarter finals. This was early June, however, and with Offaly having already started their championship campaign (and Limerick soon to start theirs) both teams elected to field weakened teams. Limerick won a close game late on, and Offaly finished fifth out of eight, despite having won 4 matches out of 7.

The significance of this wasn't lost on John McIntyre (then, as now, Offaly manager) and it is noted in Hurling The Revolution Years his regret at resting key players, how Martin Hanamy told him so the night the team was picked, and how he considered reverting to full-strength.

The previous year, qualification for the quarters was clinched with an away win in Dungarvan. Only a win would suffice owing to an inferior scoring difference following the 1-28 to 1-1 debacle in Ballinasloe that year. Previous to that, in 1995, qualification and promotion from division 2 for a quarter final joust with Cork was achieved with a 2 point away win over Wexford. In 1994, Offaly's hopes of promotion were dashed in Birr when a last minute PJ Cuddy goal earned Laois a draw and the quarter final slot.

Cyril Farrell, in The Right to Win notes a final round clash between Offaly (then reigning All-Ireland champions) and Galway in 1986, which drew a crown of six thousand to Birr, as an important stepping stone in the development of that team. Similar to Sunday's Waterford visit, the winner went through to the knock-out stages and the loser didn't. Galway went on to reach the final, giong down to Kilkenny.

Just to put in context the significance of Sunday's match, for those of ye thinking of heading North.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Not for the first time this year - you really have to take your hat off to those hurlers of ours. Once again they took on fancied opponents, never flinched or backed down, took them on in both the skills of the game and physically, and came out with a very deserved win.

Obviously with hurling in particular it's very hard to judge by the TV all the nuances of the game, but the impression I got was that our backs were reasonably dominant - Cleary in particular looked completely in control, while Franks must have done well to keep Mullane scoreless. Hanniffy didn't look like he dominated the CB slot as much as he has done, but the early withdrawal of Shanahan suggests that he was on top. Tanner was the surprise for me - he seemed to really put himself about, got on the ball well, and didn't make any of the striking errors that sometimes give you heart failure. All in all the back line seemed to carry the day really, since from there on it was some good individual displays rather than a purely cohesive all round effort. Impressive nonetheless.

A few points of note....

(1) Shane O'Connor seemed to me to give the management a lot to think about - I was very impressed with the range and accuracy of his puckouts.

(2) Cordial appears to be still struggling to find his best form - Hanrahan probably in pole position?

(3) By all logic Alan Egan should be great come the open spaces and dry ground of the summer - but for the moment is there maybe a case for playing him in the second half rather than the first? His speed could be even more dangerous against tiring corner backs - possibly. Still, he's playing too well to be dropped I suppose.

(4) Gary Hanniffy's aggression seemed to be stepped up a notch in the games I saw so far this year - including today - is this a permanent fixture?

Anyway, enough analysis - for now - we bask!! Well done the lads - a great display.

Bogman
All Star

Post by Bogman »

The most encouraging feature for me was that all the new boys and youngsters played well - Joe Bergin, Paul Cleary, Alan Egan, Brendan O'Meara, Declan Tanner, Shane O'Connor, Dylan Hayden. You could add Kevin Brady to that category. Mick O'Hara worked like a demon and led by example.

Bergin looked like a young Joe McKenna - let's hope he doesn't defect to Limerick. Surely the Under 21s have to move him up to full forward from centre-half back.

Bergin's best forays in the second half came from a few lovely low hopping balls played in by Gary Hanniffy who also scored a skilful point near the end when Offaly needed one.

Dylan Hayden's display showed that he is starting to make good on his undoubted promise.

All in all very encouraging. I'd say that the likes of Johnny Pilkington wouldn't mind still being around to face Babs Keating and Tipperary next Sunday. But however Offaly do against Tipp we've had our best League for 10 years. John McIntyre deserves a lot of credit.

azoffaly
All Star

Post by azoffaly »

Don't have time for a long spiel, but just would like to add my optimism to the fray after yesterday. I thought Offaly hurled very well yesterday, especially when conditions allowed it in the first half. Joe Bergin and Alan Egan made hay on the inside line in that half, while as has been stated the back line dominated a Waterford forward line full of big-name players.

Gary Hanniffy again had a dominating centre-field performance, and yet again Offaly won a lot of ball, especially in the dry first half, out of the air.

Definitely another step on the road back to contention for a Leinster methinks.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Good performance by the hurlers yesterday.

Great day for Joe Bergin. Could have had 4 goals. Though the full back was very poor under the high ball.
Nice to see Alan Egan bag a goal. Should be good for his confidence. He'll be looking forward to summer conditions.

Shane O'Connor's variety of puckouts is a huge addition.
With hurling goalkeepers now being such a vital playmaker, I think he might have to kept there for championship? One was a lovely low bullet puckout into the hand of Dylan Hayden(I think) who turned and popped it over the bar.

Our defence are now pressurising the player in possession in numbers, instead of one on one.
Remember last June. Shefflin only ever had to evade one marker to score a point.
The next day out against Wexford he was always confronted by 2 men and barely got a shot.
Yesterday we applied extreme pressure to the Waterford forwards. Several times the forward was hooked, blocked, had it flicked away (throwback to our 90s team), or shot wide under presssure.

Also the forwards combined a lot better. Clever balls were sent dangerously across the goalmouth where a couple of months ago, we seemed to be shooting for scores from silly angles.

It must be noted that Waterford fell completely apart for the 2nd quarter, other teams won't lie down as easily, but we've come a long way.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

First off, that Waterford team will win nothing. A key to coming from behind is the ability to keep your discipline in the face of adversity, and too many of that Waterford team can’t do that. The inability of the full back line to deal with a high ball is no help either, and it’s hard to see any other full forward line in Munster not thriving in this area in June. Yesterday’s match programme carried an account of Waterford’s last league visit to Birr 3 years ago, and the lack of new names on the Waterford lineout is glaring. On the subject of Waterford discipline, its amazing that a coach like Justin McCarthy, known for his attention to detail, hasn’t done more work in this area. In his book Hooked: a Hurling Life he had plenty to say about Offaly’s role in the ‘Battle of Tulla’ in 1979 when he coached Clare (a row reportedly started when Pat Carroll was struck by a Clare player). He even carried this burden into the Centenary All-Ireland and wrote of his determination to return the compliment to one unnamed Offaly player who was still in the colours in 1984. If Ken McGrath’s reacts to the jeers of a few dozen Offaly folk with a two-fingered salute, how will he react to thousands on the Clare, Cork, Limerick or Tipperary terraces in the summer.

Limerick’s Pat O’Connor was no help either. O’Connor’s style is to be lenient on ‘Munster style’ play and doesn’t tend to protect the ball players, which is the main role of the referee. This might be OK in a clash between two robust teams but doesn’t suit Offaly’s style, where the smaller ball players require some modicum of protection. The cries of “he’s only giving as good as their getting” from the Waterford following speak volumes of their attitude to how hurling should be played. It was O’Connor, remember, who dismissed Daithi Regan for defending himself in the 1999 Leinster final. This only leads to frustration among the players who then have to resort to taking the law into their own hands. Compare this to, say, Brian Gavin, who tends to keep the game under his control and nip any ‘situations’ in the bud before they get out of hand.

As for Offaly, that American golfer’s dictum “The harder I work the luckier I become” seems to be apt. The hard work put in over the winter is bearing fruit. They will benefit greatly, now, form their warm weather training, if the trip is treated as it should be, and not abused. I understand the benefit of warm-weather training is that the recovery time is far less than ‘Irish weather’ training so they can train more frequently, perhaps twice a day.

Some interesting selections yesterday, a first league start for O’Connor being the most notable. Has Mullins paid the price his mistake in Ennis? Only time will tell. If O’Connor is to be persisted with, much work will have to be done with his puck-out. Lashing it straight down the middle, as far as he can, isn’t good enough. That causes bunching, closing the vital gap between the half and full forward lines, and leaves the full forward line 30 yards out, with their back to goal, and moving out. A good puck out should be placed to a wing forward, and varied, left and right. For instance, Jim Troy’s puckout was always placed to the wing forward on the second ‘70’. Though not tested yesterday, doubts remain about his ability under a dropping ball and his shot stopping. I still feel he’s not the best goalkeeper in his own parish.

Of course, it won’t always happen that you’ll hit only 2 wides when your opponents wouldn’t hit a barn door with a banjo, but maybe that’s the ‘the harder I work…’ prophesy, and many of the Waterford wides were down to good Offaly defending. This was a complete team performance from 1 to 15. It’s hard to single out individuals, but David Franks’ marshalling of the dangerous John Mullane was superb. Cleary and O’Meara (both marking Paul Flynn at different stages) both continue to improve, Kevin Brady excellent and Declan Tanner saw off Dan Shanahan before half time and tidied up well. The old Offaly style hooking and blocking is back, I’m glad to report. Up front, Brian Carroll was well minded, and the other forwards stepped up. Bergin had another fine game, though he tends to play his man from behind, which you can’t do when the delivery is low. For a small man, Alan Egan actually did well in the air on Tom Feeney. Mick O’Hara had his best game to date, a very workmanlike performance with some fine scored for good measure. Hayden also worked hard.

What was pleasing, too, was the body language at the final whistle, no whooping, no hollering, no high fives, just shake hands with the opponents and straight off the field.

So a quarter final with Tipperary awaits. More on this later in the week. Tipp. will need Eoin Kelly to start, though you’d fancy David Franks to mind him. It’s hard to see any changes to the starting 15, injuries excepted. Alan Egan took a bang on the shoulder and looked sore. The venue will be interesting. Limerick or Portlaoise seem likely. How about taking the chance on a toss for home venue? There’d be a fantastic crowd in Birr, and Offaly know Thurles well enough to cope, and the journey isn’t huge. Its likely Limerick and Waterford will be in Thurles (its early in the year yet for Pairc Ui Chaoimh). I suppose a lot depends on where the football semi-finals will be fixed, particularly Kerry/Leix or Limerick/Louth, with double headers in mind. Do the winners play Kilkenny? Semi-final being seeded 2nd in our group hurl the other group’s winners.

Footnote.
Colm Keyes, in Friday’s Indo, wrote that it’s 11 years since Offaly qualified for the knockout stages of the league. A number of other commentators have followed on this track. Colm, a mhic, 2006 minus 1996 equals 10.