Offaly Hurling Championships 2014

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
babsandbond
Senior
Club: carrig

Re: Offaly Hurling Championships 2014

Post by babsandbond »

I apolgise toxicity in my head I thought you hated birr and were anti them I take it back..birr are doing ok and for me are just as good as anyone in the county.realistically it's between kk coolderry and birr..St rynaghs just don't have the forwards to have a realistic chance of winning it..I'd be of the same opinion of you johnny p has changed as a manger and I think he had too.he has a game plan is open minded about training methods..He has alan corboy in as physical coach with birr this year and he might add that bit extra that birr were missing.michael Verney is to be back in 3 weeks which is great news for birr too.
Just 2 points I wanna make on the weekend..
I thought spollen and mckeown looked decent and how lads like them are been over looked with the state hurling in offaly is its beyond me.
On the shinrone match there full back line is so slow..its there for the taking..and you keep s cleary quite what happens? I thought Dolan and kelly were super for banagher but g Connelly is not good enough for centre back it could be there downfall.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

yes i think we will give it a good lash with Verney and Hanniffy back, alot of new lads in new poistions this year, wonder how Eoin Hayes will do later on in the year, Colm Mulrooney at midfield, will Johnny P leave Cleary in the forwards for the rest of the championship, we have Breeder Mullins in his 18th year between the post for Birr with Simon Whelehan in his 20th fair play to them they could have pack it in a few years ago with all they have won also Barry giving it another year.

as for my tip for the championship k/k and Coolderry and ourself's Birr, k/k have two good young players in Dylan Murray and Kielty who will make them stronger this year and i think they will win 3-in-a-row, as for dark horses i think Coolderry still have the guts of a good team just looking at the team hurl the weekend they had 15 that got to the all ireland final a few years ago add in Kevin Brady who miss last weekend's game they are still a good side and if they click they could take beating also good to see Eoin Ryan back in the fold.

in the other pack ourselfs Clareen Shinrone, Rynagh's nothing between theses sides, Rynaghs have a side on paper but they do well in the group stages but when it comes to knockout stage they don't seem to have the players to push on and win the title. i though them and shinrone were shocking poor last year as Birr beat both easy enough in the quater and semil final, maybe they are better this year but i have yet to see where they are. Clareen were unlucky last year and on their day if they hit form and Bergin has one of his good day's they are a match for any team.

Tullamore have lost two but with Dooley up front he will make sure they will stay up, the relgation battle will be between Brosna Gaels and Drumcullen, i think Drumcullen will take the drop this year.

shannonbanks14
County player

Post by shannonbanks14 »

Keep writin rynaghs off suits us grand. We should have beat shinrone with a man short and we have 3 starters to come back. Francis Forde preparin this team better than they've been trained before. He will have them ready and they will take beatin!Lot of teams on way down, Rynaghs on way up.

timber
All Star

Post by timber »

Francis Forde is a highly respected trainer and alot of players have great time for him. Was he linked with the county job at some some stage?

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Fixtures this weekend:
Senior Hurling:
Fri August 1st:
Shinrone: Coolderry v Seir Kieran 7.45

Intermediate Hurling.
Round 5
NA SEAMRÓGA V SHINRONE, Time: 7 30 PM , Venue: Moystown.
KILLURIN V CRINKILL, Time: 7 30 PM , Venue: Kinnitty
LUSMAGH GAA V BIRR, Time: 7 30 PM , Venue: Moystown
BALLYSKENAGH/KILLAVILLA V ST RYNAGH'S (HURLING), Time: 7 30 PM , Venue: Carraig

Sat August 2nd:
O'Connor Park: St Rynaghs v Tullamore 6pm
O'Connor Park: Birr v Shinrone 7.30

Sun August 3rd:
Banagher: Brosna Gaels v Drumcullen 12noon
O'Connor Park: Kinnitty v Ballinamere 5.30
O'Connor Park: Belmont v Kilcormac/Killoughey 7pm
“Common sense is not so common.”

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

Round 3 of the championship and still no indication from CB if the same senior county management is going to be in place again next year. At least if they management knew they could plan for next year, as usual it'll be dragged out! Suppose there's a double header in OCP sat night for them to attend anyway!!!

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Starting with Friday evening. The final round of the IHC group matches and while we are fairly sure of the quarter-final pairings, these will be confirmed before nightfall tomorrow evening.

Killurin v Crinkill is an eliminator. Killurin have reached the quarter-final in each of the previous four years (while Crinkill have not, during that time) but the worry for them is that Dwayne Dunne has not been lining out owing to injury. Crinkill will need goals to win this, and the form is there given that they scored 4-5 in a second-half blitz against Shamrocks last time out. Killurin will likely out-point Crinkill, therefore Crinkill will need goals to win. But I think Killurin’s belief will be greater.

In the other group, the only series of results that will prevent the group finishing Lusmagh, Shamrocks, Birr in that order would be a Shinrone win over Shamrocks. Shinrone looked decent enough when I saw them against Lusmagh but a series of big defeats sees them facing a return to Junior ranks. Shamrocks, who are playing a nice, thoughtful, passing style that suits them, will win well here.

Everyone claims to carry a ‘young team’ but Lusmagh have taken youth to a whole new level. And stylish they are too, as anyone who saw last year’s Minor ‘B’ Final will attest, and the Reds have clocked up three big tallies against Crinkill, Killurin and Shinrone. They face a step up in standard here though, as Birr themselves have impressed, only going down to Shamrocks in that game’s dying moments. Eoghan Cahill is scoring freely, Mark Mulrooney is an experienced goalkeeper, Seán T O’Connor is pacy and dangerous. Other hand, they lost full-back Eoin Hayes to Senior a fortnight ago. This will be a good match – Lusmagh to shade it.

Ballyskenagh-Killavilla haven’t had a game in a while, having played their third game in the series of four five weeks ago. They drew with Coolderry then, which isn’t convincing either. St Rynagh’s goalkeeper Kevin Duffy has been lost to the Seniors, which will be unsettling. B-K won the corresponding tie last year but Brendan Murphy was playing then. Rynagh’s form has been indifferent (losing well to K-K and losing to C&R). That form suggests a B-K win.

Friday evening’s clash of Clareen and Coolderry will be just that. Plenty of collisions here, with last year’s quarter-final still fresh in Coolderry minds. Coolderry haven’t been tested yet; Clareen have been tested twice. Clareen’s half-forwards have ball-winning potential and Clareen might just edge it again.

Rynagh’s v Tullamore. In Tullamore again, though I suppose I should be surprised if it was anywhere else, given that Saturday is the sisth time in as many years that St Rynagh’s have to make the 24 mile trek to Tullamore to take on the locals. Now, neutral venues don’t have to be exactly halfway between the two but with petrol now costing €1.55 per litre, a bit of fairness is to be called for here. Seriously. As for the match, Tullamore can’t qualify and though St Rynagh’s are down a number of bodies owing to summer sanctions, suspensions and injuries they should prevail here.

Birr were awful against St Rynagh’s before the summer, and though they impressed against Ballinamere, the opposition must form a caveat. Shinrone rarely get to play at headquarters (at Senior level, at any rate) and if they have title ambitions they should relish a run out here. I was impressed with the character they showed against St Rynagh’s. Derek Morkan should have an advantage over whichever of Barry Whelahan or Colm Mulrooney picks him up. Mark morkan struggled with Ger Rafferty last time out, until he began to get out in front late in the game. Paul Cleary may well cause him bother here too. The duel that will tip the scales will be between Seán Cleary and Seán Ryan. I remain a Shinrone sceptic and they are not given to making statements but I think they’ll break new ground here.

Brosna Gaels beat Drumcullen last year, but that result may well be turned on its head here. Tom Spain (US sanction) is a big loss to the Leamonaghan Parish side, and they still don’t score enough from beyond the ’45. Drumcullen did enough for short spells when I saw them against Coolderry to suggest they are capable of winning this.

Kinnitty v Ballinamere is the tie of the round. It is an eliminator, an eighth-final, if you like. Both having beaten Tullamore, the winner will finish fourth and reach the quarter-final, the loser will finish fifth. Ballinamere have had just four different scorers in their two matches to date, KInnitty have had seven though Stephen Molloy has scored goals against both Shinrone and Tullamore. If Ballinamere can keep the scoring low, and tackle correctly and not allow Colm Coughlan accumulate a big tally from placed balls, they have a chance. Remember Brosna Gaels beating Kinnitty by 1-10 to 0-10 at the venue two years ago. Still, Kinnitty’s need is greater and they should win.

Hard to see Belmont having the belief to rattle Kilcormac-Killoughey, though less than half-way through a long championship campaign you’d hardly expect the champions to be at full pelt either. Belmont introduce some new players to their side every year – Joe Maher is available for a full campaign this year. Hard to see Mark Egan (though a fine ball-player) coping successfully with Conor Mahon. David Cox, one of the county’s most feared forwards, didn’t line out against Clareen and without him Belmont are missing a goal-threat. Meanwhile, Dylan Murray has graduated to Senior grade, adding another scoring threat to an impressive forward line.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

timber
All Star

Post by timber »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:Rynagh’s v Tullamore. In Tullamore again, though I suppose I should be surprised if it was anywhere else, given that Saturday is the sisth time in as many years that St Rynagh’s have to make the 24 mile trek to Tullamore to take on the locals. Now, neutral venues don’t have to be exactly halfway between the two but with petrol now costing €1.55 per litre, a bit of fairness is to be called for here. Seriously.
Fair point POTH. Ive mentioned before where teams have had to travel to the far end of the county to face opposition from only a few minutes down the road. Hugely frustrating for players and supporters. At least in this case Rynaghs are getting to play in one of the finest grounds in the country which is something alot of players would be happy about. In other cases the location and pitch would only add to the frustration of the distance that would have to be travelled. But yes, you are spot on in your comments.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Just on this topic, and at the risk of derailment: here in Roscommon they play three group games, and out of those three you play one match at home, one away and one at a neutral venue. It adds an extra element to things plus it means that every club gets to host at least one game. It makes it more difficult to arrange double headers all right, but it might be something worth looking at.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

italia90
Junior A

Post by italia90 »

Seir Keiran 2-13 Coolderry 0-15
conditions meant it wasn't going to be a classic but this was a hard fought battle between the neighbouring teams. SK led 1-7 to 0-3 at the break and were full value it. Brian Carroll was the only Coolderry player to score (0-1 from play). Both teams hit some dreadful wides in the opening 15 mins and it was SK who adapted better and Joe Bergin scored a goal around the 20 min mark. Coolderry moved Kevin Connelly to midfield for start of second half and he scored 0-4 from play. Coolderry registered the first two points almost immediately and it was game on. SK stemmed the tide with two of there own and they went tit for tat for about 15 mins (1-11 to 0-7). Coolderry came into it then with four unanswered points and aided by the breeze they looked capable of pushing on. Adrian Hynes scored two crucial points in second half and his second left it 1-13 to 0-13. Connolly for Coolderry scored a good point after breaking onto a loose ball and then came the turning point. Brian Carroll appeared to be fouled (SK player was on his back) but was penalised for a throw ball and free out was given. a high ball to the Coolderry 21 was broken down by Joe Bergin, collected by Joe bergin and finished to net by Joe Bergin. Brian Carroll fired a late free over to round out scoring. Carroll scored about 0-9 with 0-2 from play and he showed for a lot of ball but donal Coughlan can be proud of his effort on him. In general the SK backline were tight on there men and they possess one of the strongest full back lines in the championship (Dermot mooney, eanna murphy and donal Coughlan). Joe Bergin finished with about 2-7 to his name (2-2 rom play) and missed another 0-5 and yet drifted out of match on occasion. If it was anyone else on field they be waxing lyricals about them. James Mulrooney found the going tough on Joe Brady but did manage a lovely point in first half.Joe Brady put in a solid shift at 6, Connolly played very well when moved to midfield and Brian Carroll always looked capable of working the rather lethargic umpire (ya just had to be there to realise how slow he was to either raise flag or wave wide). All in all, SK were that bit better on night but Coolderry will not be happy with a few key decisions that went against them.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I enjoyed that report, Italia90. Keep it up. That result will see Clareen as the more likely to finish second behind K-K in that group. Their likely opposition will be clearer after the Birr v Shinrone tie.

I was in Moystown myself for Lusmagh v Birr in the IHC. Wet wet wet would sum it all up. Lusmagh needed a test and in fairness they got it. I was impressed with Birr, for whom Eoghan Cahill scored 0-8 (4 from play) and Seán T O’Connor scored 0-3, and they had no obvious weaklinks. Lusmagh led 0-7 to 0-6 at half-time, Birr went one ahead early in the second half before Seán Gardiner came upfield to put Lusmagh ahead late in the game and Eoghan Cahill scored a fine equaliser. No-one could complain with the result.

Birr will take beating at this grade and with Carrig & Riverstown in the quarter-final they should pull through if they can avoid a scrap.

Elsewhere, Crinkill beat Killurin by two points (4-10 to 3-11) which i think is the winners’ first time in an IHC quarter-final . Group toppers Ballyskenagh-Killavilla should have enough to overcome Crinkill and advance to the semi-final. Shamrocks’ reward for finishing second in their group is to face K-K, which at this stage is 50:50. Lusmagh will face St Rynagh’s and while this is a repeat of the 2012 IHC decider, both clubs will field radically different lineouts.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

St. Rynaghs 1-12 Tullamore 0-13 ft

Birr 0.11 Shinrone 2.10 FT
“Common sense is not so common.”

kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Post by kaiserchief »

POH. The way it looks to me is that for clareen to finish second they would hoping for kk to beat both coolderry and f/b.

It's all to play for still in the other group. Two very poor games in ocp today. Weather conditions where a major factor but the better teams won both games. Shinrone looked impressive in the first half and finished the game strong. Birr did well to close the 8 point gap from half time and it then looked like they would at least nick a point at the closing stages when bolger leveled up the scores! Shinrone hurled a lot of clever call in the last few minutes of the game and declan cleary worked his socks off to assist the winning goal.

Shinrone and Rynaghs will fight it out to top the group. The game between Ballinamere and kinnity tomorro wil have a lot to say about this group. Winners wil more than likely take a quarter final spot and the loser's left nervous with the possible disaster of relegation.

Prediction for tomorro's games is for both under dogs Ballinamere to just to scrap a result and belmount to end kk's unbeaten run in championship hurlin.

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

kaiserchief wrote:The game between Ballinamere and kinnity tomorro wil have a lot to say about this group. Winners wil more than likely take a quarter final spot and the loser's left nervous with the possible disaster of relegation.
If only the bottom team in each group go into relegation then Tullamore would have to win both last two matches to avoid relegation playoff. They have Shinrone and Birr left so I can't see that happening. (Win and a draw might do as well!)

So today's game is really a battle for a place in the q/final.

Buttons
All Star
Club: Club

Post by Buttons »

http://www.midlandtribune.ie/articles/s ... 2014-made/

No the bottom 2 teams from each group go into a relegation battle