Offaly vs Tipperary - 2014 All-Ireland SHC qualifier Round 2

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
townman
All Star

Re: Offaly vs Tipperary - 2014 All-Ireland SHC qualifier Rou

Post by townman »

The legend Martin Hanamy says if we come out with a 10 point defeat we will be happy, i thought maybe 16 point defeat and i be happy, look this is going to be a turkey shoot out nothing more
tipp will learn nothing from it, we have fell alot since we hurl them in 2010 in portlaoise , they got some great scores again Galway who took kilkenny to a replay the kilkenny team who beat us by i forget.
Tipp to win pulling up and thank god this year will be over.

bula bula
All Star

Post by bula bula »

townman wrote:The legend Martin Hanamy says if we come out with a 10 point defeat we will be happy, i thought maybe 16 point defeat and i be happy, look this is going to be a turkey shoot out nothing more
tipp will learn nothing from it, we have fell alot since we hurl them in 2010 in portlaoise , they got some great scores again Galway who took kilkenny to a replay the kilkenny team who beat us by i forget.
I have posted earlier about there being blind optimism but this is the complete opposite. I am hoping for this year to be extended not for it to be over, no matter how unlikely it is.
"Ohhh mamma!"

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

bula bula wrote:
townman wrote:The legend Martin Hanamy says if we come out with a 10 point defeat we will be happy, i thought maybe 16 point defeat and i be happy, look this is going to be a turkey shoot out nothing more
I have posted earlier about there being blind optimism but this is the complete opposite. I am hoping for this year to be extended not for it to be over, no matter how unlikely it is.
Its been a tough year and we are not in a good place, but let's have the sliotar thrown in before we throw in the towel (and hopefully that does not happen).

We have not put it together as a team, but our squad contains some exceptional players. You never know what can happen.

COME ON OFFALY!!!!!!
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

fifitrixiebelle
All Star

Post by fifitrixiebelle »

holy god but yeer fierce contrary lads in the caliphate of el sid. some wants ta slag & some wants debating. ya mite get debating in maryborough on sat.

but to help de bate along heres da premier boys

Gleeson
Stapleton Paudie Cahill
Barrett Barry B Maher
Woody Bergin
Gar Ryan Bonner Bubbles
McGrath Callanan Lar

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

fifitrixiebelle wrote:holy god but yeer fierce contrary lads in the caliphate of el sid. some wants ta slag & some wants debating. ya mite get debating in maryborough on sat.

but to help de bate along heres da premier boys

Gleeson
Stapleton Paudie Cahill
Barrett Barry B Maher
Woody Bergin
Gar Ryan Bonner Bubbles
McGrath Callanan Lar
paudie Maher will hardly play full back again fiftrixiebelle great number 7 but lost at fullback after last weekend and 2010 again cork will get away with it on saturday but later on is a NO NO..........

fifitrixiebelle
All Star

Mitent play dere sat. Switch with jb I reckon. OMahony still inj but den curran is bak on panel ya wudnt no what dat mad manager mite do

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I’m at a disadvantage here as I didn’t see Tipperary’s win over Galway either live or a recording, nor was I in Ballycastle. Getting Offaly’s match-ups right will be important.

It seems Tipperary’s starting six forwards against Galway were - Ryan, Maher, O’Dwyer; McGrath, Callanan, Corbett. They may have lined out in a different order to that against Galway, someone might confirm. Corbett will definitely line out at 15 for obvious and long-term reasons. With Gearóid Ryan back (and he was important to Tipperary’s 2010 All-Ireland win) it seems they now have 5 of their 2010 All-Ireland winning forward line, with John O’Dwyer replacing Eoin Kelly. Which is all very well, but surely to the lord a county with Tipperary’s selection has more options than that.

I’m thinking – Niall Wynne on Corbett will be fine: just watch Corbett’s right – he is going to make the same arcing run from the left side of the field to shoot off his right. Patrick Maher is probably Tipperary’s most important attacker. Tipperary are lost if he is on the periphery. I’m thinking Ger Healion might be the man for him. For certain, Maher wouldn’t be going through GH.

I now see Healion isn’t selected, leaving a gap at full-back. Séamus Callanan and Noel McGrath can be fierce inconsistent. Great lads to put their team ten points ahead when they lead by five. One will be opposed by Chris McDonald, probably McGrath, and I wouldn't have any worries there. McGrath and Callanan will move around alot, leaving space for Corbett to run into, and keeping Healion running around after Callanan would have been a big part of Tipperary’s game plan. And if Kevin Brady can tackle correctly he won’t be getting knocked out of the way by Maher either.

Down at the other end of the field, Pádraic Maher – meet Conor Mahon, you might remember him from before. And in O’Moore Park too. Wherever Offaly are lacking, winning their own ball in attack isn’t one of them.

Big similarities with Offaly’s 2011 trip to Cork for a qualifier, Offaly with no hope, Cork on the crest of a wave after scoring 10 goals a week earlier. Tipperary will try to put Offaly away early on – if Offaly can resist that early onslaught Offaly have the forwards to win their own ball and draw frees. Bergin, Dooley and Egan pose goal threats, and Gleeson doesn’t look the part in goal.

Feckin’ test them, Offaly!
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

James Dempsey
Niall Wynne, Rory Hanniffy, Chris McDonald
Emmett Nolan, Kevin Brady, Cathal Parlon
Sean Ryan, Dan Currams
Joe Bergin Capt, Conor Mahon, Colin Egan
Brian Carroll, David Kenny, Shane Dooley

Healion dropped. Brady centre back.
Morkan left of the team and Nolan starts.
Hanniffy back at full back.
3 from Birr.
3 from Coolderry.
2 from Kilcormac Killoughey.
2 from Belmont.
1 from Rynagh, Kinnitty, Brosna Galls, Clareen and Tullamore.
I don't agree with Hanniffy and Nolan in these positions.
“Common sense is not so common.”

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

love your heart plains, but have you not seen offaly this year, in all fairness if you think Niall Wynne,McDonald, Kevin Brady, and Parlon or Healion have the pace or hurling for the 6 tipp forwards
your in another world, the Bonnar will run Brady silly with maybe giving away about 7 frees anyway or maybe a red if things go bad. Parlon on Bubbles Dwyer will also be a miss match, Noel McGrath will stay out around midfield and with Currams and Sean Ryan name there i can see McGrath scoring anything up to 5 or 7 point's from play. Lar will have to much for Wynne Along with Callanan who is having a good year.

add in the likes of Ger Ryan maybe Jason Forde and Ronan Maher Niall O'Meara to come in there too
they will have way to much firepower for our backs. at the far end as you say big men in the offaly forward they haven't show it since Joe Dooley left, Dooley,Bergin, have been way off the pace this year
Currams and Sean Ryan at midfield i don't know. young Emmett Nolan is hurling half back can't see us winning the battles over the field to be near tipp, not going by form this year the league games or the kilkenny game, don't forget we got out of jail again Antrim with alot of them players i mention were replaced. Brian Carroll has been our best forward so far in the championship but will be on one of the best corner backs in the game in Micheal Cahill, as for Mahon on Paudie Maher county will be different than club, just asked the Galway players who win the club all ireland most years.

hope i am wrong but for the life of me i can't see where offaly can find a way of hurling or players form or fitness has came on that much from the kilkenny game to get win 10 points of tipp on saturday evening, if tipp get a early run on us in which they will go for goals early on and put us to bed it could be another long evening on sky sports for us on saturday.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

[quote="Toxicity234"]James Dempsey
Sean Ryan, Dan Currams

3 from Birr.
3 from Coolderry.
2 from Belmont.
I don't agree with Hanniffy and Nolan in these positions.[/quote

me too but i also don't agree with our midfield and our corner backs could be in trouble like in nowlan park. but what can you do thats the hand we have.

fifitrixiebelle
All Star

Plain of the Herbs wrote:I’m at a disadvantage here as I didn’t see Tipperary’s win over Galway either live or a recording, nor was I in Ballycastle.
dats ur first problem.
Plain of the Herbs wrote:With Gearóid Ryan back (and he was important to Tipperary’s 2010 All-Ireland win) it seems they now have 5 of their 2010 All-Ireland winning forward line, with John O’Dwyer replacing Eoin Kelly. Which is all very well, but surely to the lord a county with Tipperary’s selection has more options than that.
why wud dey line out & leave 5 of dere best hurlers off de team? its not duignan pickin it...
Plain of the Herbs wrote: Séamus Callanan and Noel McGrath can be fierce inconsistent. Great lads to put their team ten points ahead when they lead by five.
dis is wher not knowin wat ur talkin about is a problem. tipp were 6 down to galway & Callanan and McGrath wer 2 of de key players leadin dem to a 9 point victory

Plain of the Herbs wrote:Down at the other end of the field, Pádraic Maher – meet Conor Mahon, you might remember him from before. And in O’Moore Park too.
in a club competition. where a Carlow team wer leinster champions last yr. paudie destroyed canning when he moved to 6 - im sure mahon is a great lad (tho not in the ai club dat yr) but he aint joe canning.
Plain of the Herbs wrote: Big similarities with Offaly’s 2011 trip to Cork for a qualifier, Offaly with no hope, Cork on the crest of a wave after scoring 10 goals a week earlier.
im v happy to see some optimism in the caliphate of el sid. bu ya mite hav ta strap sid to the horse & send him out on sat!!

Offalys Future
All Star

Post by Offalys Future »

Its funny really bad an all that Offaly hurling has been over the past 10 years we never fear Tipperary.

In the past 10 years the following is how our counties compare

Tipperary
1 All-Ireland SHC - Runners Up -2
1 All-Ireland U-21 HC - Runners Up - 3
3 All-Ireland MHC
4 Munster SHC - Runners Up - 2
2 Munster MHC - Runners Up - 4
4 Munster U-21 HC - Runners Up - 3

Offaly
0 All-Ireland SHC
0 All Ireland U-21 HC
0 All Ireland MHC
0 Leinster SHC - Runner Up 1
0 Leinster MHC
0 Leinster U-21 HC - Runner Up - 2

I don't think this Tipperary team is great but unfortunately the stats don't lie and Offaly will get what they deserve on Sunday (for years of neglect and bad management at all levels) a comprehensive beating.
Change is needed urgently.
" In The Presence Of Confidence Doubt Cannot Exist "

kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Post by kaiserchief »

[quote="Toxicity234"]James Dempsey
Sean Ryan, Dan Currams

3 from Birr.
3 from Coolderry.
2 from Belmont.

I have to agree. How in god's name is Sean Ryan starting. Did Whelan not see him in Ballycastle @ all. Does he not remember taking him off @ half time.

Wynne and Nolan will be ate alive by tipp forwards. Healion should have started @ 3 with rigney and mcdonald each side. we need hanniffy in the half back line or @ midfield.

To be honest really it probably doesnt matter what team we put out cause the writing is on the wall.

Offaly to suffer another humiliating defeat on sky sports. Thank god their getting feck all viewers.

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

Hope that we at least go out and give it a rattle, try to do the right thing with the ball, and work the socks off.
Change starts here.

offaly
Site Admin

Post by offaly »

I've deleted a couple of posts which speculated about why a player wasn't selected. I would ask posters not to post up stuff that's not verifiable as fact, or is rumour at best.

The safest thing to do is to stick the analysing what takes place on the field.
Best of luck to Offaly to tomorrow night!