Walsh Cup 2013

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Toxicity234
All Star

Re: Walsh Cup 2013

Post by Toxicity234 »

kinnittyman wrote: 1) David King and Chris McDonald both struggled either side of David Kenny
2) Kevin Brady is a mile away from an inter-county centre back
3) We gave away 0-03 from losing our own short puck outs.
4) Shane Dooley can get some brilliant scores
5) Brian Carroll's workrate needs to up 50%
i have to agree with with most of your post and after yesterday I’m not looking forward to the league match's.
The second half was very poor from Offaly but in fairness to the players on the field our tactics were mad and worst still we stuck to them for the whole second half.

Shane Dooley work hard at centre forward but we need him closer to goals if we were going to win yesterday.
Our half forward line didn't win any balls yesterday in the frist half or the second. The two Carroll's were hurler off the pitch by their men. I can't remember them winning one of the Offaly puck-out in the whole match but again in fairness to the two lads they keep at it for the whole match and keep trying. The management should have moved them if for nothing else just to give them a rest. Dooley was doing well on the Wexford Centre back but 5 mins before half time Wexford brought on a sub, Moved the centre back to Full Back and Moved Number 5 to centre back and Offaly scored only 5 point for the rest of the match.

The second half was James Demspey pucking the ball out one of the Wexford midfielder or half back winning it and sending it back in on top of the Offaly full back line. No Back line will hold up against that pressure.

i would love to see the stats for the match yesterday. i think the stats for puck out won by Offaly would have being a lower than 10%.
“Common sense is not so common.”

ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Post by ryot »

This fasding out in second halves is a big worry.

Easy to say its down to current heavy training but would most counties not be in similar training.

Too many one paced players and that half forward line just had no ball winners.

If he is selecting that line then the puck out has to be varied or have positional alternatives on the puck outs.

Its a bit early to be too worried so I would give it 2 or 3 league games before making judgements on players.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Toxicity234 wrote:
kinnittyman wrote: 1) David King and Chris McDonald both struggled either side of David Kenny
2) Kevin Brady is a mile away from an inter-county centre back
3) We gave away 0-03 from losing our own short puck outs.
4) Shane Dooley can get some brilliant scores
5) Brian Carroll's workrate needs to up 50%
i have to agree with with most of your post and after yesterday I’m not looking forward to the league match's.
The second half was very poor from Offaly but in fairness to the players on the field our tactics were mad and worst still we stuck to them for the whole second half.

Shane Dooley work hard at centre forward but we need him closer to goals if we were going to win yesterday.
Our half forward line didn't win any balls yesterday in the frist half or the second. The two Carroll's were hurler off the pitch by their men. I can't remember them winning one of the Offaly puck-out in the whole match but again in fairness to the two lads they keep at it for the whole match and keep trying. The management should have moved them if for nothing else just to give them a rest. Dooley was doing well on the Wexford Centre back but 5 mins before half time Wexford brought on a sub, Moved the centre back to Full Back and Moved Number 5 to centre back and Offaly scored only 5 point for the rest of the match.

The second half was James Demspey pucking the ball out one of the Wexford midfielder or half back winning it and sending it back in on top of the Offaly full back line. No Back line will hold up against that pressure.

i would love to see the stats for the match yesterday. i think the stats for puck out won by Offaly would have being a lower than 10%.
Thanks for the detailed, onsite perspective. Dooley seemed to be having his way early on, sounds like the move described above changed things completely. Too bad we didn't counter that move by putting Dooley inside, but then again if there is no supply...

Does anyone know if Horan can be expected anytime? Is he injured, not playing this year or???
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Sharp Eye
All Star

Post by Sharp Eye »

St Rynaghs were in the Senior Final last year. Have they anyone on the county senior panel this year ?. Their goalkeeper Clancy looks to to be a great prospect. Has he been invited onto the county senior panel ?.

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

Fcuk it anyway!!

Wrote a huge piece here about some of the hurling issues, (from the perspective of a simple football man) and the fcukin thing got lost!

Have to get back to work and me typin is too slow to start again!! What a waste of me break!

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

On the half forwards not winning ball and Offaly not winning puck outs.

Come championship Offaly will have more ball winners to pick from. The likes of Colin Egan, Conor Mahon will be vying for these slots. Derek Molloy and Joe Bergin are also viable targets.

I'd say the bigger problem will be the failure to feed off any balls that get caught by the big lads.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Bord na Mona man wrote:On the half forwards not winning ball and Offaly not winning puck outs.

Come championship Offaly will have more ball winners to pick from. The likes of Colin Egan, Conor Mahon will be vying for these slots. Derek Molloy and Joe Bergin are also viable targets.

I'd say the bigger problem will be the failure to feed off any balls that get caught by the big lads.
don't forget Daniel Currams also :wink:

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

Dan Currams has done well for KK but is another man who must make the step up to county level, has rarely produced it yet

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Bord na Mona man wrote:On the half forwards not winning ball and Offaly not winning puck outs.

Yeah, have to agree with that about the half forward line. the thing is Molloy and Bergin were on the field and could have being moved there for 10 mins to give the two Carroll's a break. Disappointed to not see this happen.
Sharp Eye wrote:St Rynaghs were in the Senior Final last year. Have they anyone on the county senior panel this year ?. Their goalkeeper Clancy looks to to be a great prospect. Has he been invited onto the county senior panel ?.
And St Rynaghs Og won the u-21 in Offaly last year. they were by far the best team at that grade last year.
I though myself the Centre Forward on that u21 team Damien Egan was outstanding in the Semi and final. i was hoping to see him around the Senior Panel this year. Stephen Quirke as well should be look at. From the Senior St. Rynagh's team i though the Centre Back D Shortt. (can't remember his first name) would be look at as well.

I should say that Sean Gardiner and David King played ok. they were under pressure for the whole second half and gave away score's but they look like they will (given time) step up and become good county players.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Seánie Gardiner didn't line out - 'flu victim. Other that that, some good points raised there, Tox.
Toxicity234 wrote:I should say that Sean Gardiner and David King played ok. they were under pressure for the whole second half and gave away score's but they look like they will (given time) step up and become good county players.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:Seánie Gardiner didn't line out - 'flu victim. Other that that, some good points raised there, Tox.
Toxicity234 wrote:I should say that Sean Gardiner and David King played ok. they were under pressure for the whole second half and gave away score's but they look like they will (given time) step up and become good county players.
God. you correct. Mooney line out at wing back. forgot that. i keep call him Gardiner at the match. Mooney played ok. Read off the team sheet a few day later. sorry about that. :oops: